1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads > Performance threads

Performance threads All discussions about CoD performnce

Old 12-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Problem using multiplayer

I'm new to using Multiplayer and am having the same problem occuring after each time I've finally managed to get airborne. All seems well until the following messages appear -'WATER RADIATOR PERFORATED' then 'OIL GASKET LEAK' then 'GOVERNOR FAILURE'. Could someone let me know how to avoid this happening?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESTLAKE View Post
I'm new to using Multiplayer and am having the same problem occuring after each time I've finally managed to get airborne. All seems well until the following messages appear -'WATER RADIATOR PERFORATED' then 'OIL GASKET LEAK' then 'GOVERNOR FAILURE'. Could someone let me know how to avoid this happening?
open radiators before take-off
Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 PM

Default Multiplayer problem

Many thanks for that advice.However, I do normally open the radiator,but perhaps by not enough.I'll have another go and see what happens.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Approved Member

Hi Westlake, it would be helpful if you mentioned which plane(s) you're flying when this happens.

For all models of Spitfires and Hurricanes, Beepee is correct in stating that radiators must be open for takeoff. FULLY open!

Mixture must be Full Rich and Prop Pitch set to Fine.

Let engine warm up until water (glycol) temp reaches 60C.

For Spitfire I and Hurricane DH 520 with 2-speed props:

On take off slowly and smoothly open the throttle to Full Open. At 45 mph push stick forward SLIGHTLY to raise tail. At 80 mph pull stick back slightly to rotate and lift off. Bring wheels up. I usually leave my radiator full open until I reach level height, then close it about halfway to 3/4 shut to keep water temp around 90 C.

Pull throttle back to give you rpms of 2,700 to 2,800. This should give you boost of about 3 - 4 lbs. At these settings you can maintain a comfortable climb rate of 1,500 - 2,000 fpm at a speed of 120 ASI. And your windshield won't turn black from a blown head gasket.

In level flight you can select Coarse Prop Pitch which will dramatically drop your engine rpms -- be careful to further adjust your throttle to maintain 3 - 4 lbs of boost (or less if flying in formation. In combat I usually shove my prop pitch forward to Full Fine and take care with my throttle not to over rev my engine: 3,000 rpms max!

For Spitfire Ia, IIa, and Hurricane Rotol with Constant Speed Propellor:

Take off same as 2-speed prop planes with this difference:

Upon rotation, bring wheels up, then carefully reduce throttle to lower your boost to 3 - 4 lbs, then coarsen prop pitch to reduce rpms to 2,700 - 2,800 rpms. You'll notice this gives you a better climb rate (2,500 fpm) at the same airspeed of 120 ASI (Spitfire Ia), 130 ASI (Hurricane Rotol), Mach 2 (Spitfire IIa). Once you've reached level flight you can reduce speed as desired. Remember to first use throttle to set engine boost, then next adjust the Constant Speed Prop control to drop the engine rpms to give you your desired speed. Partially close your radiator to maintain 90 C (or lower) water temp, then trim your rudder and elevator for almost-hands free flying. You can use your sideslip and yaw indicator to determine if you're properly trimmed, but generally you can do it by feel.

Keep your mixture fully rich. You can play with leaning the mixture if you want - just make sure you're within gliding distance of an airfield when you do!

Good luck!

Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; 12-23-2011 at 03:57 PM.