1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 06-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Default DCS P-51 has better flight and damage model than COD

Just found this movie on YouTube!

!

Cod only lets you fly the Hurricane with one and a half a wing! The P-51 will let you fly with one!!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 AM

The P-51 is still Beta, doubt it will fly with only 1 wing when it's released.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:20 AM

I'ld hope not! But theres not firm date for P-51 going gold. And if you believe what a lot of the anti-COD comments would have you believe, even in it's current state it blows cod out of ther water.

I remember flying the release version of A-10 flying straight and level with both wings lost at the engine pods. When I ejected the plane kept on flying for 10 minutes before landing itself with wheels up!

Hope that's been patched!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 06-26-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
Just found this movie on YouTube!

!

Cod only lets you fly the Hurricane with one and a half a wing! The P-51 will let you fly with one!!!!

Mighty impressive bird. And who knows, maybe those 50cals will prove themselves against T72s
Old 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewolf View Post
Mighty impressive bird. And who knows, maybe those 50cals will prove themselves against T72s
You never know!

If not at least you've got the HVARS on the P-51! I realy like them on the DCS sim!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoshi Tiger View Post
You never know!

If not at least you've got the HVARS on the P-51! I realy like them on the DCS sim!
So do I see that right, Fire damage is not progressive as it is in CoD?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Actually the fire in DCS will disintegrate the fuselage over time if it is large enough. The small fires generally put out really fast. I also don't understand why in DCS everything catches fire as soon as it breaks off. If my wing clips a lightpole, it catches fire.

I must say I like the DCS Mustang though. They did nail quite a few things. For one, the first person bailout is really cool, although it does not correspond to all the manouvers you may be pulling off.

The engine startup is nice, with modeled voltage for the battery. So if you try starting it for too long you'll overheat the starting engine/drain the battery so it doesn't rotate the engine enough to get it running.

The sound is also superb. Many details and I especially love the whistle of the guns at higher AoA. Really immersive.

However, it's a standalone product. Which means that for now it's kindof boring. Mustang Vs Mustang gets you tired fast.

I also miss the IL-2 damage decals etc. The P-51 uses IL-2 1946 style damage modeling. Of course it's much more advanced, but the visuals are not up to par with CloD. After x amount of damage a new texture is loaded to show bulletholes. After x more amount of damage the 3D model is swapped for a more shredded look..

But I must say I enjoy flying the mustang. It's like CloD with different graphics and a FULL clickable cockpit (even though some switches have no function, they still operate like they should)
Old 06-26-2012, 11:55 AM

DCS's P-51 has some very good aspects. The reflections in the cockpit glass is really well done it really adds to the immersion. It would be great if they could get the same feeling of nap of the earth flying as I get in COD. (most of my time is spent at low level avoiding vulchers!!!)

Given enough time and effort by the developers it become really good at what it does. But that goes for ALL current range of flight sims.