1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Well, on the whole the Central (German) aircraft are underperforming, and some of the Entente aircraft are optimistic to say the least so we usually fly Gotha'a or 2 seaters.
One of my squadmates did a bit of research, obviously finding performance figures for WW1 are not so easy, but it appears that most info was taken from captured examples:
- Albatros D.II is missing 11kmh topspeed (164 vs 175 - Mercedes D.III)
- Albatros D.III is missing 15kmh topspeed (170 vs 185 - we have the late OAW version with Mercedes D.IIIa)
- Albatros D.Va is missing 17kmh topspeed (170 vs 187 - Mercedes D.IIIa)
- Pfalz D.IIIa is missing 13kmh topspeed (168 vs 181 - Mercedes D.IIIa)
- Pfalz D.XII is running on the wrong engine (currently: BMW III, should be: Mercedes D.IIIau)
- Fokker D.VII is running on the wrong engine (currently: Mercedes D.III, should be: Mercedes D.IIIau)
- Fokker D.VIII is missing at least 15kmh topspeed (185 vs as much as 204 - Oberursel URII)
The last FM changes were done over a year ago...

Q6600 @ 2.4 / 4 GB ddr2 / GTX285 1 gb gfx / W7 64
Whiners to fanboys in one move, who'd a thought it!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipBall View Post
So they will need to buy the map...what do you guys do on the map, mostly dog fight?
You can range for artillery, do visual reconnaissance at low alt, and do photo reconnaissance at higher altitudes. You can also do the usual bombing, strafing and tail chasing that other sims do since time immemorial. Ship busting and maritime patrol stuff will probably be along now too.

PS:

Tweaked the ocean colour a bit. My graphics settings are lower than usual here, but you get the idea.

Last edited by Feathered_IV; 12-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM

That looks more like the channel I know FIV. Where do they come up with these colours. The channel is not the Pacific.

Q6600 @ 2.4 / 4 GB ddr2 / GTX285 1 gb gfx / W7 64
Whiners to fanboys in one move, who'd a thought it!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Approved Member

[QUOTE=Feathered_IV;490123]You can range for artillery, do visual reconnaissance at low alt, and do photo reconnaissance at higher altitudes. You can also do the usual bombing, strafing and tail chasing that other sims do since time immemorial. Ship busting and maritime patrol stuff will probably be along now too.

PS:

Tweaked the ocean colour a bit. My graphics settings are lower than usual here, but you get the idea./QUOTE]

Thanks, and your color tweak does look good

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekmike View Post

Were you expecting them to just give it away?

The idea of "the good business model - DLC", is to provide the sandpit (good quality ) for free, with basic toys (again, good quality including good quality cockpits) for free, and let developer addons and 3rd party people make the toys/ etc to compliment it and make their bucks there. AI models should be made available for onliners, who have no wish to fly any particular plane/ vehicle which may have been put into a mission/ co-op... ie there should be no requirement to make a purchase to fly in an online mission/ co-op, other than what the flyer wants to fly/ drive.

Else go with full blown Expansion Packs, of good quality and DLC from there

oh, and its got the same fake looking trees and heavily masked (the fog) fps eating distancing... and Channel water isn't Pacific blue
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 12-26-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Approved Member

Jaws2002.. I understand your frustration.. but you have to remember the map has only been out for a day or to...( plus its the holidays..more people probably have the map..just don't have it installed.) As for players that cant play because they don't have the map.. is just the way it is. It sux I know but other than running a dedicated channel map server.. their isn't any other way around it. On a positive note.. it will stimulate channel map sales, that will help produce other maps. S! Or other projects

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit/AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 B50 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 2gig/8gigs of RipJaw 1600
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Approved Member

Well, here's my thoughts on the new map, compared to the CloD map particularly with reference to England.

I'm certainly not going to post my views on the new forums, because you are not allowed to point out any negative aspect of the RoF/BoS engine, due to a certain moderator, in fact i find it amusing that more criticism is tolerated in the RoF forums than in the new forums......

Also, i should mention that i like both games, although most of my time is still spent in il2 1946 hsfx, because thats what is easier for the squad to fly due to technical issues regarding both the other games (lack of co-op mode for Clod, and difficulty in hosting co-ops in RoF without a futuristic internet connection).

For those who haven't seen the new Rof map, heres a vid i made for Frycinet who asked to see a non dogfight vid of it,

Anyway, things i think are better in the RoF channel map,

1) I like the overall colours of the textures better, although there are not many different types possibly as Clods. However, they look more like where i live to me.

2) I like the attention to accuracy in the coastline mapping, its better than clods, re the little bays, which parts are cliffs and which are not along the coastline. (at this point i should add that i live about 2 miles from Manston airport, and have flown in a Stearman out over Margate and the coast, featured in both maps). Flying for real over Margate and out to sea, RoF's coastline is much better.

3) Trees. Not necessarily the look, but the ability to hit them, although i prefer the density of tress on CloDs map.

Things i think the Clod map is better,

1) The sea. By a huge margin indeed. Although Feathered_IV's colour mod is a huge improvement (are you going to post that as a mod over on the RoF forums, pretty please!), when you get down low over it in Rof it looks terrible in my opinion, Clods looks fantastic.

2) Towns and villages. Far far superior in Clod. Towns are more accurate in size, and there are more represented, and for some reason small villages on the RoF map look like there from the 17th century. I live in a small village, in a house that was built before WW1 as are most in my street. They do not look like mud huts. In general the buildings look much more like English building on the Clod map.

3) Colour of the sky and horizon. Living here, i can say with absolute certainty, in Clod is much more what i see in real life here on the South coast. The haze is just about perfect for this part of the world, and having lived in Australia for a year i can understand why people from other countries think it should look different, but for here they are wrong, period.

Regarding fps, i get about the same with Clod maxed out as i do with the Rof maxed out, indeed on the RoF forums there are many complaints about the optimisation of the new channel map on some systems. One thing to mention regarding frames however, is that obviously i have lots of aa running when i play RoF, not so much with Clod lol, so that might skew fps, although i haven't tried turning off aa on the Rof map to check how many fps i'd gain.

So to conclude, both have strengths, and both do some things better. On balance, i prefer Clods, although its pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Uther View Post
Well, on the whole the Central (German) aircraft are underperforming, and some of the Entente aircraft are optimistic to say the least so we usually fly Gotha'a or 2 seaters.
One of my squadmates did a bit of research, obviously finding performance figures for WW1 are not so easy, but it appears that most info was taken from captured examples:
- Albatros D.II is missing 11kmh topspeed (164 vs 175 - Mercedes D.III)
- Albatros D.III is missing 15kmh topspeed (170 vs 185 - we have the late OAW version with Mercedes D.IIIa)
- Albatros D.Va is missing 17kmh topspeed (170 vs 187 - Mercedes D.IIIa)
- Pfalz D.IIIa is missing 13kmh topspeed (168 vs 181 - Mercedes D.IIIa)
- Pfalz D.XII is running on the wrong engine (currently: BMW III, should be: Mercedes D.IIIau)
- Fokker D.VII is running on the wrong engine (currently: Mercedes D.III, should be: Mercedes D.IIIau)
- Fokker D.VIII is missing at least 15kmh topspeed (185 vs as much as 204 - Oberursel URII)
The last FM changes were done over a year ago...
This is what i've read as well, and i find a concern especially your line, The last FM changes were done over a year ago....

Until recently i've mainly flown central power aircraft, and was amazed by how easy allied planes are compared. I can predict a certain Hungarian having a fit when BoS comes out......

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrekmike View Post
I imagine that this thread is really just going to turn into another ROF bashing session, I suppose there is no avoiding it on this forum.

I wish we could all go back to talking about CloD and not CloD compared to everything else.
This is the only forum where you can say negative things about Rof with out threads disappearing. It is also natural to compare 2 different products that are modelling the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws2002 View Post
They just torpedoed the entire online community with this map.
The map is sold as addon. Looks like not many online regulars got this new map and if it shows up in the rotation on the server, the guys that don't have it get kicked. The server instantly goes from 20-30 people to five. Now those that didn't get the map can't play, and those that got it don't have who to play with.
If you dare posting about it on ROF forums they delete the thread in a heart beat.
Good luck with this bussines model in the next game.
The map is ok, the collor of water is off. Water looks like 1946 water with better waves. The lighting engine makes it look wrong.
Yep this is interesting, and has caused many complaints over on the RoF forums, mainly because they were told by the infallible management that this wasn't going to be the case, lol.

That said, i can't see how it was ever not going to turn out as it has, it is the nature of the online community to play with new toys.

anyway, thats my take on it all.

Edit, you can see what i mean about the sea looking bad imo towards the end of this vid, looks best in 1080p,

Last edited by fruitbat; 12-26-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Approved Member

Wonderful game but...that does look pretty bad at sea level.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Approved Member

The reflections on still waters (Dover Harbor for example) are very off putting.

I'll get a screen shot shortly to illustrate.

And yes, Olegs's water is better than Loft's, by a fairly large margin.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

You guys are safe here, for now

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5