1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM
zapatista's Avatar
zapatista zapatista is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
Errr do you have some kind of magic 3D monitor? Why would it matter how far away you are from a 2D object (the monitor)?.
purely to try and compare apples with apples and standardize the observation criteria between our virtual pilot and the pilot in a real cockpit

eg, lets say our pc gamer has his pc and game correctly setup and he is sitting at a normal comfortable viewing distance from his screen: then if our virtual pc pilot right now looks at a 10 cm wide aircraft displayed on his screen (say a 109 at 100 meters), then if you lean closer to the screen (lets say you 1/2 the distance between your eyes and the screen) then to you as the pc gamer the same 109 at 100 meters will be seen as 2x as large (whereas leaning forward in a real cockpit looking at a real distant aircraft it would stay the same size, because leaning 30 cm closer to an object 100 meters away with the naked eye doesnt significantly change its size to your eye)

bit of a clumsy explanation, but it should get the meaning accross (this is presuming our virtual pilot isnt a player using a track-ir with a 6DoF game, but lets not complicate things any further for now)

for the 2e point, as it turns out our average gaming position in front of a pc monitor on a desk in front of you produces a roughly similar distance for your eyes as they would be in a real cockpit from the gunsight (both are at roughly an arms length from the viewer/player, so lets not quibble about minor differences there)

so,..... i repeat my question: if in a real ww2 fighter aircraft you would see the 109 at 100 meters in front of you displayed as 10 cm wide on your gunsight reticle (and you can in fact place a ruler on the gunsight to measure it), what do you need to do in CoD to make sure you also see a 109 at 100 meters as a 10 cm wide object onscreen in your virtual gunsight reticle ?

eg, many players here with incorrect system setups might in fact only see a 5 cm wide 109 at 100 meters on their pc screen, making that enemy plane harder to track and spot, and harder to aim at. and yes, both gunsight reticle and distant aircraft would then be 1/2 their normal sizes and in the right proportions, so even the 5 cm 109 at 100 m in that example would still fill the gunsight reticle correctly and by measuring the reticle markings you can interpret the size/distance the aircraft would/should be in real life (because in this example both gunsight and distant aircraft have been equally distorted)

again a bit verbose to explain, but you should get the meaning of what i am trying to convey there

so whats the answer ? any self respecting virtual pilot should know the answer to this one (a bit of a jibe in return since you seemed to respond somewhat abrasively to my genuine question)
__________________
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 02-26-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
5./JG27.Farber 5./JG27.Farber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,958
Default

I have TrackIR, when I lean in, I lean in in reality and the game...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
zapatista's Avatar
zapatista zapatista is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5./JG27.Farber View Post
I have TrackIR, when I lean in, I lean in in reality and the game...
and that is the extent of your answer ? even with your trackir, if CoD is not configured correctly on your system then the 109 aircraft you are looking at in our example will still be the wrong size in most CoD player setups

the question still is: how can you make sure that the onscreen displayed distant aircraft in your CoD gunsight reticle is 100% displayed correctly in the right size on your pc screen, ie that this distant 109 at 100 meters from you is indeed displayed as a 10 cm wide object on the screen in front of you, and is 1:1 correct size comparison as you would see it from that fighter aircraft in real life with the naked eye on the real gunsight reticle ?

note: we are presuming the pc viewers eyes are at a relatively normal viewing distance from the pc monitor in front of them, and for the purpose of this example they are at the same distance from their pc screen as they would be in the real cockpit from the real gunsight reticle

anyone ?

farber, why dont you measure it on your monitor. make a quick mission with icons on (so you see the distance tag) and a friendly 109, fly 100 or 200 meters directly behind him at 6 'o'clock and have him in your gunsight reticle (which will confirm his exact distance from you), pause game at right moment, measure 109 wingspan on screen

since you havnt produced the answer yet, i suspect you are flying around like oliver in liliput land , and the 109 in front of you is about 30% to small

so whats the answer then ? how can you make sure CoD is correctly configured so that distant 109 is the "right size" (same size as it would be seen with the naked eye from a similar viewing position in real life)
__________________
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 02-26-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-27-2013, 12:00 AM
5./JG27.Farber 5./JG27.Farber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
and that is the extent of your answer ? even with your trackir, if CoD is not configured correctly on your system then the 109 aircraft you are looking at in our example will still be the wrong size in most CoD player setups

the question still is: how can you make sure that the onscreen displayed distant aircraft in your CoD gunsight reticle is 100% displayed correctly in the right size on your pc screen, ie that this distant 109 at 100 meters from you is indeed displayed as a 10 cm wide object on the screen in front of you, and is 1:1 correct size comparison as you would see it from that fighter aircraft in real life with the naked eye on the real gunsight reticle ?

note: we are presuming the pc viewers eyes are at a relatively normal viewing distance from the pc monitor in front of them, and for the purpose of this example they are at the same distance from their pc screen as they would be in the real cockpit from the real gunsight reticle

anyone ?

farber, why dont you measure it on your monitor. make a quick mission with icons on (so you see the distance tag) and a friendly 109, fly 100 or 200 meters directly behind him at 6 'o'clock and have him in your gunsight reticle (which will confirm his exact distance from you), pause game at right moment, measure 109 wingspan on screen

since you havnt produced the answer yet, i suspect you are flying around like oliver in liliput land , and the 109 in front of you is about 30% to small

so whats the answer then ? how can you make sure CoD is correctly configured so that distant 109 is the "right size" (same size as it would be seen with the naked eye from a similar viewing position in real life)
I dont have time....
Tell us more...

Last edited by 5./JG27.Farber; 02-27-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 AM
zapatista's Avatar
zapatista zapatista is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,172
Default

eh so if you cant even be bothered measuring it

you indicated earlier in this thread that you know what size these distant aircraft would be in real life when measured on a real ww2 gunsight reticle but mow cant be bothered putting a ruler on the screen to measure if it is also displayed correctly in size ? so do you then think/presume they are currently displayed in their correct sizes on your pc screen when you fly around in CoD ?

i would have thought that for most people here, since they have an interest in simulating a ww2 pilots experience, it would seem pretty important to at least see distant aircraft in their right sizes, rather then hunt for miniature dinky-toy objects in a virtual sky that are 30% to small (for many here, exact distortion will depend on end user setup). since we have already some LoD model bugs and LoD model visibility problems already that make these aircraft around us harder to spot, i would have thought displaying these distant aircraft in their right sizes would have been a pretty important starting point for any self professed virtual pilot going around "full real" then again, maybe not and i am presuming to much from my fellow man

so, anybody ?
__________________
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children

Last edited by zapatista; 02-27-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-27-2013, 01:45 AM
raaaid raaaid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,329
Default

this still has to come to air war sims:

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 AM
raaaid raaaid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
oki doki, but the real question after that is ............

how can you make sure that the onscreen displayed distant aircraft in your CoD gunsight reticle is 100% displayed correctly in the right size on your pc screen,
you have to set your self to the right distance so it APPEARS right

if you have 90º fov the screen has to take 90º from your eyes, the vertical of the screen

in fact 6dof is wrongly render for the flaw you just pointed

edit:

btw an optical gunsight will always have same angular size however distant your eyes to it

Last edited by raaaid; 02-27-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 AM
zapatista's Avatar
zapatista zapatista is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,172
Default

anybody else with a more coherent answer ?
__________________
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM
5./JG27.Farber 5./JG27.Farber is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
eh so if you cant even be bothered measuring it

you indicated earlier in this thread that you know what size these distant aircraft would be in real life when measured on a real ww2 gunsight reticle but mow cant be bothered putting a ruler on the screen to measure if it is also displayed correctly in size ? so do you then think/presume they are currently displayed in their correct sizes on your pc screen when you fly around in CoD ?

i would have thought that for most people here, since they have an interest in simulating a ww2 pilots experience, it would seem pretty important to at least see distant aircraft in their right sizes, rather then hunt for miniature dinky-toy objects in a virtual sky that are 30% to small (for many here, exact distortion will depend on end user setup). since we have already some LoD model bugs and LoD model visibility problems already that make these aircraft around us harder to spot, i would have thought displaying these distant aircraft in their right sizes would have been a pretty important starting point for any self professed virtual pilot going around "full real" then again, maybe not and i am presuming to much from my fellow man

so, anybody ?
Which POV though?! My eyes dont have POV in real life...

I didnt come here to get in a urinating contest with anyone, if you have a point please share it, it seems quite interesting but I dont have time for guessing games. I just cme here to help someone with a question, even if it is a Raaaid thread...

I have to get my end of module assessment in and do an exam...

Last edited by 5./JG27.Farber; 02-27-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-27-2013, 09:57 AM
SlipBall's Avatar
SlipBall SlipBall is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: down Island, NY
Posts: 2,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
eh so if you cant even be bothered measuring it

you indicated earlier in this thread that you know what size these distant aircraft would be in real life when measured on a real ww2 gunsight reticle but mow cant be bothered putting a ruler on the screen to measure if it is also displayed correctly in size ? so do you then think/presume they are currently displayed in their correct sizes on your pc screen when you fly around in CoD ?

i would have thought that for most people here, since they have an interest in simulating a ww2 pilots experience, it would seem pretty important to at least see distant aircraft in their right sizes, rather then hunt for miniature dinky-toy objects in a virtual sky that are 30% to small (for many here, exact distortion will depend on end user setup). since we have already some LoD model bugs and LoD model visibility problems already that make these aircraft around us harder to spot, i would have thought displaying these distant aircraft in their right sizes would have been a pretty important starting point for any self professed virtual pilot going around "full real" then again, maybe not and i am presuming to much from my fellow man

so, anybody ?
zapatista, I have changed my thinking on this and agree that objects/especially ground in the distance are rendered too small in the game...and speed of aircraft while looking to ones side view/low alt. is way to slow.
__________________



GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 02-27-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:32 AM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.