1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Approved Member

The flight scenes are simply stunning, as are the aircraft models. And add the fact that he is running at max graphic settings, with the game far from optimized, and he is still getting 40fps. I am more hopeful now than ever.

Funny he does not understand why he is blowing his engines up all the time...
Running at full throttle constantly has that effect.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 AM

Ok I got to say it - the fact that the city only a few miles away under him is just a giant grey low res texture ruins the visuals (for me) completely. How can you ignore that? This is at 6:45 - it looks like something from a game in the early 2000s. The close in terrain looks ok at height, closer in the textures look low res and low detail imo. Especially at ground level where they used a very small texture that is tiled/repeated actually kinda made me feel quesy, it looks horrible.

Given that the cockpit looks outstanding, from the videos I have seen they modeled it beutifully. One thing I wish they would change a bit is the oil on the windshield texture, make it so it is applied to the area that would be getting sprayed (if the right side of the engine is leaking oil for whatever reason, would it block out the left side of the planes canopy?). They need a kind of splattering effect, like Dirt 2 has when you drive through mud. (you can see it briefly in the middle of this vid: ). Similar looking effect is in WOP when you fly through a cloud (but with water).
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 AM

Wow that is the highest quality encoding of any youtube video I have seen so far. I can't believe people are complaining about the sound, the guns on that g.50 sounded amazing!

Also the game clearly runs fine other than the stutters, which are being worked on. I cannot wait!
Old 03-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sod16 View Post
Finally, someone who speaks ENGLISH.
Well, not quite.

I've never heard of either a byoofighter or a blenhyme.

Does he mean a beaufighter and a blenheim?

Bloody yanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 AM

Excellent video, thank you very much for posting. If you download the English translation of the manual it may answer some of the questions you had in the video about features, I think the oil splatters you are getting are a function of the complex engine management and if you can figure out how to turn it off you may have an easier time until you can map all of the keys. The engine and gun sounds were fantastic, hopefully they will be loud enough to drown out all of the whining! I'm sure by the time it gets officially released here many of the problems will be fixed.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Approved Member

Don't go blaming all of us.

I cringed when I heard him mis pronounce those two as well.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Approved Member

Ha Ha, mate, good to know, very good to know!!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch_851 View Post
Well, not quite.

I've never heard of either a byoofighter or a blenhyme.

Does he mean a beaufighter and a blenheim?

Bloody yanks.
Blame it on his prissy whinny lisp in his voice.

Flyingbullseye
Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 AM
Approved Member

The guy offers his impressions of the game and we get jealous #$%#$%#$ complaining about the way he talks !! ?? ..... WTF! are you whinners Poms by any chance ?? ...

GREAT video!

Pity about the shutter, i suspect higher spec rigs won't have that problem? i'll find out sooooooon enough ...

He111.

Last edited by He111; 03-28-2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbullseye View Post
Blame it on his prissy whinny lisp in his voice.

Flyingbullseye
With that kind of reaction I don't wonder there aren't more of these.

I for one am glad he did it, and mispronounced it. Now I've learned how to say it without having to go through the embarrassment myself The game is also looking great! Some weeks/months/years, and we'll have a perfect replacement for '46