1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 AM

Default Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion vs Endless Space

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tried both and what they think.
I've always liked the space opera theme and especially the old wingcommander series.
I know one of these games is a true 4X (ES) and Sins is a blend of RTS/4X.

I could never get into X2/X3 Universe (too complicated) and my last foray into 4X was... well probably never, since most of my time in the 90's & 00's was spent in space and flight sims with the occasional FPS and RTS.

So the question is really... would Endless Space turn based game be a softer entry into the 4X world or the automation and RTS of Sins be a better first plunge?

Keeping in mind I am already short on time, I dont want a huge complicated learning curve but I figure Im probably missing out on something fun and different by not giving these types of games a go?!?!?

Your thoughts?
i7 3930K @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4way SLI 3GB GTX 580 Aquagrafx WB - 16GB DDR3-2000 - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H LCD Nv Surround
Old 07-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS~Phat View Post
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has tried both and what they think.
I've always liked the space opera theme and especially the old wingcommander series.
I know one of these games is a true 4X (ES) and Sins is a blend of RTS/4X.

I could never get into X2/X3 Universe (too complicated) and my last foray into 4X was... well probably never, since most of my time in the 90's & 00's was spent in space and flight sims with the occasional FPS and RTS.

So the question is really... would Endless Space turn based game be a softer entry into the 4X world or the automation and RTS of Sins be a better first plunge?

Keeping in mind I am already short on time, I dont want a huge complicated learning curve but I figure Im probably missing out on something fun and different by not giving these types of games a go?!?!?

Your thoughts?
I've played to Endless Space the last month and the first Sins some year ago: to me the former is something like a Civilization on the space, where the cities are planets... of course there is a big research tree and fights are not very interesting. It's slow... very slow.

Sins is like a Warcraft3: if I remember well number beats quality of the ships. You spend time building corvettes and fighters. Don't know if the latest version is different.

The first is more interesting IMO, just only for the fact that you can design your own spaceships.

I don't think both have a complicated learning curve: AI War: Fleet Command is something you have to avoid because of that.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Approved Member

Don't forget swords of the stars 2, it's basically in between the two I.e. turn based star map but design your own ships and rt battles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
Don't forget swords of the stars 2, it's basically in between the two I.e. turn based star map but design your own ships and rt battles
I'm interested since it published by Paradox Interactive, but looking at reviews:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sw...ords-of-winter

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Approved Member

Yeah I brought it a few weeks back most of the bugs have being removed and they seem to release a patch weekly

Quote:
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
Yeah I brought it a few weeks back most of the bugs have being removed and they seem to release a patch weekly
Great! Anyway I'll wait for the Steam Offer week.

You know, by experience I'll not buying unfinished games at full price anymore.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Approved Member

Thats what I did, got it for less than half price

Quote:
Old 07-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Approved Member

I quite liked Sins of a Solar Empire, its an old style RTS with a few interesting twists.

Though clearly intended as a small LAN/multi-player game the offline single-player mode can be quite challenging. (Though I usually set myself the extra goal of capturing any pirate planets when playing offline.)