1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Approved Member

I'm all for CoD on different platforms but if you think about it, CoD is a niché game on the PC platform which most likely means small sales. Now imagine this niché game on a platform that is roughly 90% smaller than the PC market and you have very little to almost non-existing profitability chances. If other platforms are profitable CoD will probably make it there so hold your thumbs but just don't hold them too hard.

P.S Imagine the price tag on the Mac hardware that is needed to run this game, probably get 2 high-end PC's for the same price. Just saying....
Old 04-20-2011, 04:59 PM

I'd rather see Apple proffer more upgrade paths to cheaper graphics cards than pleading for Mac ports for games. The market isn't there to justify the cost of OSX games.

Same phenomenon that makes Mac viruses rare- small market share is not worth the trouble!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 AM

Default Worlds to Conquer!

I´m a Flight SIM FANATIC!, and I have MAC´s at work and at home .... for years I´ve been waiting for a decent WW2 flight SIM to come along, and to my regret .... NO MAC capability!!!!!

I have also been reading a the hustle and arguments about either PLATFORM on other threads and forums....

Goes to show the interest (and maybe envy) there is from one side .... to the other ..... be it ... as you may like to see it!!!!

I agree with FLYING PENCIL ..... as a MAC user ...... THERE´s HUGE POTENTIAL in a under developed market .... especially in the leisure and recreation sector.

13% of something is better than NONE AT ALL!

we NEED games!!!!!!!!! DON´T LET AN OPPORTUNITY GO BY!!!!

( Loved the quote about being surrounded....ROFL! ....must have been CUSTER who said that!!!!!..... lotta foresight .... that one!!!! )

Last edited by KoD DEAD ON!; 09-26-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 AM

Might consider virtual machine. Probably wont run well though unless you have a really killer machine.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Approved Member

Currently the most powerful Mac has a 6970Mobile card inside. Not enough for CloD, at least not for a flight nerd.
I also dont believe the devs will ever be capable to tweak that game to a point where you can run it with high settings on that card.
Maybe a 2014 Mac can handle it. (haha)

If a Sim nerd buys a mac as his only system, he may not be the smartest.
And what's with all the other peripherals, wouldn't they need mac drivers too?
Are they available - and if not, why would you think that is?
Why do Mac lovers love their machine? Do you think you can appeal them with a super complex game like Clod(or worse: A10).

Economically this makes as much sense as offering for sand traction optimized tires for a Ferrari - you may find a few customers out there but never enough to justify the investment.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:51 AM

As the game is built around DirectX renderers, and not something like OpenGL which might conceivably be portable, I think such admirable dreams will remain just that, dreams.

Plus the hardware points are valid. I am Mac aficionado, I use one at home, but I also have a home-built PC as a gaming rig.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:23 AM

No fun flying without TrackIR, a HOTAS and rudder pedals. No need for a port then unless we have these on MacOS. YMMV of course.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:58 AM

The only other flight sim team I know of that tried (or still is trying) to support Mac and Win systems was Warbirds. And that double-system policy basically ground any development to a halt years ago.

I do agree that a MacOS version is economically not viable and would divert resources away from core development and bugfixing.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Currently the most powerful Mac has a 6970Mobile card inside. Not enough for CloD, at least not for a flight nerd.
I also dont believe the devs will ever be capable to tweak that game to a point where you can run it with high settings on that card.
Maybe a 2014 Mac can handle it. (haha)

If a Sim nerd buys a mac as his only system, he may not be the smartest.
And what's with all the other peripherals, wouldn't they need mac drivers too?
Are they available - and if not, why would you think that is?
Why do Mac lovers love their machine? Do you think you can appeal them with a super complex game like Clod(or worse: A10).
HEY!!! Wait just a minute.

I can run CloD on MAX SETTINGS with my iMac. But that's at 1920x1280. If I wanna run it at native 2560 then I have to go with medium/high mix.
Ok, I've overclocked the vidcard just a tad.

So with the i5/i7 and 6970M and bootcamp I can have both a beautiful computer AND my sims. Now ain't that smart!!!!
Old 09-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeanze View Post
HEY!!! Wait just a minute.

I can run CloD on MAX SETTINGS with my iMac. But that's at 1920x1280. If I wanna run it at native 2560 then I have to go with medium/high mix.
Ok, I've overclocked the vidcard just a tad.

So with the i5/i7 and 6970M and bootcamp I can have both a beautiful computer AND my sims. Now ain't that smart!!!!
Exactly! Bootcamp is where it's at.