1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
GPU drivers for MacOSX don't deliver as much gaming performance as the Windows/Bootcamp drivers do. This is my experience with Snow Leo and an ATI 4850 in a 27" i5 iMac. Apples biggest priority for MacOSX is stability, not gaming performance.
I can confirm this from personal experience. A buddy has an iMac and plays Starcraft 2 which does support MacOS. Well, there's a tremendous amount of change in performance on the exact same system between MacOS and Windows.

The guy absolutely loves his Mac but reboots into windows to play games, even those that would run under MacOS.

That and the aforementioned dependencies of CoD's core engine and features on .Net and DirectX, as well as the lack of drivers for most of the essential flight simming peripherals make it a bit over-ambitious to expect a MacOS capable version of CoD.

Don't get me wrong, i'm a PC user but i have no axe to grind. I would love it if Mac users could play CoD with us without having to reboot into windows, since whatever makes it easier for someone to get into a game also makes it easier to grow the number of people involved in the community.

However, before something like that happens there's an underlying foundation that needs to be there and it's currently missing, so it doesn't make sense in terms of time spent vs money gained for 1c to port CoD over to Mac just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Only bad things will be commented. Good things are expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
War is usually the massacre of young people that don't know each other for the sake of old people who don't fight and know each other.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:43 PM

Are we just going to ignore the fact that currently there exists no mac actually capable of running cliffs of dover at anything resembling good framerates?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintifaxl View Post
GPU drivers for MacOSX don't deliver as much gaming performance as the Windows/Bootcamp drivers do. This is my experience with Snow Leo and an ATI 4850 in a 27" i5 iMac. Apples biggest priority for MacOSX is stability, not gaming performance.
The main reason for this is that windows games run on Direct X and mac and linux both run on OpenGl. It has been confirmed through extensive testing that currently, Direct X is the faster API, so at the moment, windows games will ALWAYS run faster than mac or linux games. This may change if OpenGl begins to overtake DirectX sometime in the future, but its the state of affairs for now. I use both linux, mac and windows, but I would never even contemplate gaming on linux or mac...not at the present at least. I wish there was more development on mac and linux though, it might make the industry push the technological and competitive sectors farther, away from those stupid consoles and to better games and performance on all computer platforms.