1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:16 PM

All software does this too. You are not buying the software, you are buying a license to use it. The code belongs to the development company. You can possess the code, but you can not use it until you have the licensing. If you want to "own" something, ok, you own the little round plastic disc, but the code on it, belongs to the delvelopment group. You have to pay to be able to use it. So, you get to use it, when the owners of the code gives you that right to do so. So, legally and ethically, it is right for them to give you the little plastic disc with code on it free, but charge you to access the data on it when they see fit.. That simply is just how the software industry works..

An example: When you buy the book "Huckleberry Fin". You spent $7 for the book. Does that mean now, you own the story of Huckleberry Fin? No, you do not. It is a copyrighted story. You simply bought a bunch of little paper pages, with the story written on it, and bought the right to read and enjoy the story, but you do not own the story. It belongs to the writer and/or publisher. Not the best example, but the closest I could think of.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
Usually they don't attempt to sell extra content until a patch has been released so as to stop the inevitable 'OMG how dare you SELL us content before you've fixed you LOUSY BROKEN game' sort of stuff.

Expect DLC to go live as soon as the patch is live. Although the content obviously lives on the disc as I have played in a server where the host was using the P47, so I must have the files, I just cannot access them.

Hopefully they might open the content for everybody in the patch, I don't like paying for content I already bought, I own the disc with the files on I don't think I should be charged more to unlock things already on the disc.

Last edited by Tudorp15; 10-02-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM

I haven't used my Pre-Order Bonus Code yet, I'm not a big fan of those planes.

So if anyone wants it I'm willing to trade. PM me.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:12 PM

PM sent
Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM

An example: When you buy the book "Huckleberry Fin". You spent $7 for the book. Does that mean now, you own the story of Huckleberry Fin? No, you do not. It is a copyrighted story. You simply bought a bunch of little paper pages, with the story written on it, and bought the right to read and enjoy the story, but you do not own the story. It belongs to the writer and/or publisher. Not the best example, but the closest I could think of.. lol
the publisher didnt leave any of the book out for the 7 dollars you got every damn page......dont see how your example is relavent
Old 10-02-2009, 08:55 PM

And that is why I said it was not the best example. But, the point I was making is that you do not own the code, or data on any media that software is written on. The developer does. Most people think, or believe that they are buying the software, but they are not. They are only buying a license to use the software. The argument that you bought the software, so you should be able to use all of it, or for anything you see fit, but it doesn't apply, because you DON'T own it. It is just a popular preconcieved notion that you did, and people not in the software industry have a hard time understanding the way it works. It works that way, because software, is actually like a service, and not something tangible you can hold in your hands. It can be copied and shared, which gets into the copy protection thing, and that is an entirely different thread. This is why you don't buy the code, but only the right to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o351 View Post
the publisher didnt leave any of the book out for the 7 dollars you got every damn page......dont see how your example is relavent
Old 10-06-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Usually they don't attempt to sell extra content until a patch has been released so as to stop the inevitable 'OMG how dare you SELL us content before you've fixed you LOUSY BROKEN game' sort of stuff.

Expect DLC to go live as soon as the patch is live. Although the content obviously lives on the disc as I have played in a server where the host was using the P47, so I must have the files, I just cannot access them.

Hopefully they might open the content for everybody in the patch, I don't like paying for content I already bought, I own the disc with the files on I don't think I should be charged more to unlock things already on the disc.
Good post. I appreciate it
Many thanks to ur post. I love it.
Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The DLC is out, the patch is not, so... this will indeed be the respondse from many gamers. (although DLC and patch release date are not in devs hands. releasing the DLC is publishers choice)
Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
(...)
I'm astounded by the accuracy of your prediction. Congrats. For all people actually screaming this sentence: thanks for yet again proving the gaming community is not all that grown up.