1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Skii Skii is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
The cannon are probably a good thing. Ever tried to bring down a He111 using the 8 .303s on a Hurricane I or Spitfire Ia (mod only) in any of the PC Il2 games?
yep - try head-on, one quick squirt at the greenhouse up front and bye-bye Heinkel.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2009, 06:20 PM
Abbevilleboy Abbevilleboy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Goalie_94 View Post
Why is everyone caring about the little thing, i mean it is only a cannon. I mean yes it shouldn't be their, but its just a demo. Plus its the first game of its kind so, lets all love it untill they make it perfect in other games. Jeeze that didn't sound cheezy at all...
I think getting it wrong in the demo means they'll get it wrong in the full game unless it's brought to their attention. I just want a Batttle of Britain game that's right for once, that's all I ask!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Abbevilleboy Abbevilleboy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David603 View Post
The cannon are probably a good thing. Ever tried to bring down a He111 using the 8 .303s on a Hurricane I or Spitfire Ia (mod only) in any of the PC Il2 games?

It can lead to a lot of frustration, especially when it takes most of your ammo to kill one bomber.
I didn't notice any limited ammo (and that's not something I'd like to see anyway). Unlimited ammo makes for more playability, you can be as sparing with it as you like if you've got the skill anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
David6O3 David6O3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skii View Post
yep - try head-on, one quick squirt at the greenhouse up front and bye-bye Heinkel.
That works, but it means you have to get head on passes every time to stand a decent chance of getting a kill, although it is possible to knock out engines as well. Where the .303s really lose out though is against fighters, because a Bf109E with 2x20mm plus 2x7.92mm guns can get crippling snap shots off against a Spitfire or Hurricane, while you need to get very lucky or put a lot of .303 rounds into a Bf109 to get any decent damage.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 PM
Abbevilleboy Abbevilleboy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David6O3 View Post
That works, but it means you have to get head on passes every time to stand a decent chance of getting a kill, although it is possible to knock out engines as well. Where the .303s really lose out though is against fighters, because a Bf109E with 2x20mm plus 2x7.92mm guns can get crippling snap shots off against a Spitfire or Hurricane, while you need to get very lucky or put a lot of .303 rounds into a Bf109 to get any decent damage.
Yes and that's exactly the problem faced by the RAF during the Battle, but with the much higher rate of fire of the .303s the weight of shot put on target was roughly equal to that of the cannon, albeit without exploding shells!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Doktorwzzerd Doktorwzzerd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbevilleboy View Post
Yes and that's exactly the problem faced by the RAF during the Battle, but with the much higher rate of fire of the .303s the weight of shot put on target was roughly equal to that of the cannon, albeit without exploding shells!

Great point! Cannons have much lower velocity to their fire also, so their accuracy is not as good as .303s. That was pretty much the philosophy behind American fighters being armed with the Browning .50. Also if I'm not much mistaken, and please correct if I am, the RAF used Hurricaines more for downing bombers as the Hurricaine was armed with cannons at an early stage.

That being said I agree with the OP, a game as ambitious as BoP should strive for historical accuracy, even at the expense of easier kills.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Abbevilleboy Abbevilleboy is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorwzzerd View Post
Great point! Cannons have much lower velocity to their fire also, so their accuracy is not as good as .303s. That was pretty much the philosophy behind American fighters being armed with the Browning .50. Also if I'm not much mistaken, and please correct if I am, the RAF used Hurricanes more for downing bombers as the Hurricaine was armed with cannons at an early stage.

That being said I agree with the OP, a game as ambitious as BoP should strive for historical accuracy, even at the expense of easier kills.
Early Hurricane I's & II's didn't have cannon either. Although there was one cannon armed Hurricane experimented with during the Battle of Britain, the cannon thing didn't catch on until the Hispano design had matured enough for them to operate properly at altitude (ie not freezing up) and with minimum vibration which was causing feed jams in the beginning.

The philosophy behind use of the Hurricane as a 'bomber killer' was that it was a more stable gun platform than the Spit and its closely grouped guns gave a more concentrated hit grouping on target - more weight of fire in a given location being more effective against well armoured targets.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.