1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:47 AM

Couple things I had a problem on....

PS3 with Tmaster HOTAS.

2)I'm going through the training missions still. The one that you have to issue the commands. I am using the ^ button on the throttle and issueing the commands with the hat switch. When I get to the third command, Cover Me, I issue it and nothing happens....I am stuck on that mission.

3)The gunner position on the bomber....While using the hat switch it seems like it keeps going in what ever position your pointing until you start firing...then it will steady on he target.... Couldn't get past this one either....

Anyone else having problems with controls in this game....seems like the sticks make it easier to fly, but make it harder to do simple things.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:42 AM

Those of you who tested the multiplayer:
1. Is it P2P or dedicated?
2. If P2P how much can you change in the options before launching the session?
(like weather-plane types allowed ....)
Is it possible to set up a game only allowing cockpit view?
(cause i will skip MP if there is the nose/Hud cam which can´t be turned off, since everyone will use that view)
Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 AM

This is a great game, I hope Anton shares that opinion with the team.
Had a room going with friends tonight and everyone seems to love this thing and looking forward to any other content that comes out. German cockpits are the main request.

I would have liked to see players return to a lobby after the round, but there is a shortcut button to re-invite your party, so it's good enough.
Saw no lag tonight, but we didn't have a full room to say for sure. There was some graphical slowdown on a map with weather set to "rain".

I do have a question:
-What does it take to take out the bunkers on Strike?
Could be a lack of gunner/bombing skill, but they seemed to take a ton of rockets and bombs without ever getting taken out. However, I really like how maps vary with targets. One team may have bunkers, the other may have ships. Nice for variety.

The game is very impressive in both SP and MP. Going to enjoy putting a lot of time into this. Flight is very good, graphics are very good (some MP maps less so than others) and there are many ways to enjoy the game, which can't usually be said of flight games. Very satisfying game.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merro View Post
Those of you who tested the multiplayer:
1. Is it P2P or dedicated?
2. If P2P how much can you change in the options before launching the session?
(like weather-plane types allowed ....)
Is it possible to set up a game only allowing cockpit view?
(cause i will skip MP if there is the nose/Hud cam which can´t be turned off, since everyone will use that view)
That's P2P.
One opens a game room in which he can change the options.
unfortunately, there is no option allowing you to force on the cockpit view.
You can just select arcade, realistic or sim.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:25 PM

It's also a shame that you can't join started games.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:10 AM

Just got the PS3 version of the game at GameStop a few hours ago (they even gave me a BoP t-shirt). Only played the game for 2 hours, but I'm VERY impressed!!! Excellent work Anton & crew!! Loved flying the Hurricane and I-16 so far. Time to go and get some sleep...
Old 09-05-2009, 12:34 PM

I got the game at 1:30 pm on the third. I'm playing it on 360.

I have mainly played multiplayer, only a few missions into single player.

The graphics are extremelly top notch. The sound and surround effects are not quite as good as those in bad company or BF1943 (the epitome of awesome sound IMO), but very close and still top notch as well.

The only major complaint I have about the graphics is, as others have mentioned, that it is way too hard to spot planes even at surprisingly close ranges.

A relatively minor graphical complaint would be that it is way too hard to read the throttle and altitude on a standard def TV. As a matter of fact, all of the small print, history, plane facts etc. are all mostly unreadable unless you have plenty of time to squint at them, on my tv at least.

By far the largest issue that is very much holding this game back from greatness IMO is the terrible control layout. I hate to use the word 'terrible' because I'm sure I'll get jumped by a few fan-boys for it but the fact is they certainly qualify for this description. Not only are they horribly and un-intuitively located, they are downright painful on the hands. Additionally due to their poor placement the control inputs even interfere with and muddle other aspects of handling the planes way too easily and often.

My first issue is with using the WEP. It is obnoxious and interferes with gameplay to have to hold up on the right stick to keep the wep engaged. It should have been a toggle or at least there should have been an option to enable it to be a toggle. "Toggle" as in you tap up on the stick once more after throttle is at 100% to engage wep until you tap down once more to bring it back to 100%. As is, it is way too easy to accidentally apply rudder during a turn, sending you into a spin. Additionally when you are trying to apply rudder input it is awkward, inaccurate and painfull due to both the reduced input range you are forced to use while the WEP is engaged as well as the issue of the 'max rudder' edges being so undefined. You may be trying to input full right rudder in order to get a bead on an enemy but then all of a sudden your WEP goes off because you went a millimeter too far to the right. You have then lost the shot you were working 5 minutes for due to the controls, you quite possibly stall out and then get killed by your opponent; all the result of poor controls. The resulting emotion: a feeling of 'cheapness' which is the arch enemy of videogame fun.

Anyone who has tried to play the game on sim doesn't need an explanation of how awfull the 'look around' control is. I literally tore something in my hand after practicing with it for a few days and couldn't use my hand for a week. It literally makes playing the game painfull, which draws you out of the fun of the game, to say the least. They should allow the option to just click down once to engage look around. They also should have the option for the view to not be on a 'rubber band' which snaps back to center. Having it the way it is forces you to precisely move two analog sticks in complex ways at the same time rather than just tapping a direction to adjust your view.

I won't get into the proper way they should map the buttons but there are many, many ways which would have worked better which are not at all hard to think of. Hopefully they will enable some fix for this.

Despite the control issues the game is still awesome and I'm ecstatic we finally got a quality flight sim on the consoles.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 AM

Here's a review I found of BoP on Gametrailers. EDIT: Also, I've never heard the word "nimbly" until today. LOL

Last edited by Soviet Ace; 09-06-2009 at 04:46 AM.