1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwl View Post
tracers fly on a different trajectory to regular ammo which could be detrimental to a pilots aim if he expects all the rounds to fly on the same path as the tracers.
Wow.. That would suck if it's true in IL2.. This would mean that the bullets that we see won't be going the same way as all the other bullets. So we just guess where the bullets go?
Old 09-19-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Seraph View Post
Wow.. That would suck if it's true in IL2.. This would mean that the bullets that we see won't be going the same way as all the other bullets. So we just guess where the bullets go?
You're looking at it all wrong, they're actually BONUS ROUNDS.

And, the only reason I hit anything
Old 09-19-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I doubt that is modelled in BoP, and even if it was the difference in trajectories would be very small.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Imagine the load on the hardware if it had to produce an object 11 times per second, times 2, and the machine guns with an even higher rate of fire... It's gonna take a while until the hardware for that will be available. As stated before, the lack of quantity is probably compensated for by the amount of damage.
So to answer your question: yes, there are less bullets than there should be, and no it's not possible to fix this.

Disclaimer: I'm no developer, and only have amateuristic knowledge of developing, so I hereby apologize in advance for any untrue statements
games from 10 years ago have done this , its not exactly "hardware intensive" in any respect.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM

the guns are harmonised so all the rounds converge to one place, hence the reduced number of clouds of dust etc.
in the game the range of harminisation seem to be varied so that its the range when the rounds hit the ground/sea.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Did you know that actual WW2 pilots of the P-51D rarely used all 6 machine gns at the same time.... When i find the video from the show dogfights there is a WW2 pilot talking about how they used 2 at a time (one of each wing) and they moved inboard to outboard. Ill post it.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:22 PM

I totally agree with guilty on this one, and its something i noticed too.

I remember seeing old gun cam footage of planes strafing ships and the amount of water and mist blasted up by the rounds impact was EPICLY cool.

The splash effects when I shot into Dover harbour on my first play were kinda lame, to be honest. There was only like one spash for what should have been like 25 rounds.

It should look like That is all.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamak86 View Post
Did you know that actual WW2 pilots of the P-51D rarely used all 6 machine gns at the same time.... When i find the video from the show dogfights there is a WW2 pilot talking about how they used 2 at a time (one of each wing) and they moved inboard to outboard. Ill post it.
I think it depends on the pilot too. I'm told some pilots would even stagger the zero points so that each would converge at a different range, but I'm given to understand that the high scorers generally used all six guns converged on a single point pretty close to the plane.

Also, on the P-51D model the inboard 0.50's have ~425 rpg, while the four outboard have, I think ~275, so when the outers run out, you've still got a good bit of firing time left on the inner pair.

I also recall, with the Wildcat, when it went from the F4F-3 four gun model, to the F4F-4 with 6 guns, the firing time dropped by something like 13-14 seconds, and some pilots started keeping to two inboard guns in reseve for when the 4 outboards ran out of ammo.