1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Default Dual Boot XP and Win7 - Experience request

I currently use a Win XP (3) system on my machine and I am having extreme trouble with using CoD. After reading a few posts it appears XP is rather a dud if you want to have CoD even start reliably. My system is not great, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Mz (O/C to 3.02Mz), 4 G of Ram (DDII) and a Radeon HD5770, 1G Ram, but still should load CoD but it only locks up.

Hence the thought of loading Win7 but as I do not want to reinstall years of programs I thought that to use Win7 as a dual boot and reinstall Cod on that system.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this as I would like to get CoD running and am looking to the future when it will be making progress in its functionality.

Robbo
Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Approved Member

From my personal experience, there is a need to upgrade from XP up to 7. I was running game on my laptop with XP installed and all I can say as soon as I upgraded to win 7 things changed for much better results.

Asus P6T V2 Deluxe, I7 930, 3x2 GB RAM XMS3 Corsair1333 Mhz, Nvidia Leadtek GTX 470, Acer 1260p screen projector, Track IR 4 OS ver5, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, Saitek X52, Win 7 x64 ultimate
Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo88 View Post
I currently use a Win XP (3) system on my machine and I am having extreme trouble with using CoD. After reading a few posts it appears XP is rather a dud if you want to have CoD even start reliably. My system is not great, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Mz (O/C to 3.02Mz), 4 G of Ram (DDII) and a Radeon HD5770, 1G Ram, but still should load CoD but it only locks up.

Hence the thought of loading Win7 but as I do not want to reinstall years of programs I thought that to use Win7 as a dual boot and reinstall Cod on that system.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this as I would like to get CoD running and am looking to the future when it will be making progress in its functionality.

Robbo

I installed Win 7 64b and my XP sp3 32b was left intact, in fact I can access XP files while in Win 7...kind of cool. I find myself very rarely booting up XP, usually only when I need to use some hardware specific....I suppose it will depend on how much room you have...http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=20

GigaByteBoard...64bit...FX 4300 3.8, G. Skill sniper 1866 32GB, EVGA GTX 660 ti 3gb, Raptor 64mb cache, Planar 120Hz 2ms, CH controls, Tir5

Last edited by SlipBall; 05-06-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Approved Member

Hi Robbo

before you commit to any new OS you should check what chipset your motherboard uses. Some of the older Intel types do not support Win 7 and give trouble with newer graphics cards - even boards with PCI-Express x16 slots.
CH Franken-Tripehound stick and throttle merged, CH Pro pedals. TrackIR 5 and Pro-clip. Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 AM

79Dev, Slipball and Brando - thanks for your comment I appreciate the information. I will commit to the Win7 for CoD - just shows what crazy lengths we go to support the underdog. In this case it must be said that CoD code writers are truly made of stern stuff - as are their loyal followers. This is from one who has used IL2 for many years and is only now getting back into the forum thing and who bought CoD even knowing it is having troubles. Underdog, yes that how I see the situation and it will take some time, but support is required until the end. The end may be a commercial end but member support may just salvage the game.

Anyway, off the pulpit and now to do some serious reconfiguration.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Approved Member

I plugged in an SSD on my Windows XP system and loaded only Windows 7 64 bit and COD on the SSD. I've never experienced a CTD flying COD. I do have to restart my system to boot to Windows 7 64bit when I want to fly, but Windows 7 boots, COD loads, missions load very quickly when installed on a SSD.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Approved Member

My last computer was a dual boot XP 32 bit and Vista 64 bit and later upgraded Vista with 7 64 bit.
Initially I spent about 95% of the time with XP, but that turned round to about 99% on 7 for the last year I had it.
Windows 7 64 is the way to go for a number of reasons, but DX10 and 4GB + ram are two important ones.

One very important point to note with an XP and Vista/7 dual boot set up though; When you boot XP it will delete all your system restore points on your Vista/7 partition !
Microsoft know about this (their help function tells you this ) but for some inexplicable reason they have never fixed this bug (or is it a feature).
So if you install something onto your 7 partition or if you get an automatic update then I would recommend you boot back into 7 to ensure everything is ok. If you go into XP first then you wouldn't have any restore points to roll back to if there was a bad install.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM

Thanks all for the valuable information.

One last question - I have plenty of space on my C;/ partition at present (250GB) so how large a partitiion for the win7 installation? I was thinking that I need the win7 and the CoD and over time some migration of some graphics programs (video editing) so a space of 80GB could be enough. However I am tempted to make it larger as the XP programs in the future may be migrated over (where I have the installation disks) so a 150GB might be better for the future.
Will Win7 and CoD benefit from more room in the partition?

Robbo