1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Thanks, Jcenzano

The trick seemed to work, I just got confirmation from PayPal

Edit: I just got my order confirmed by shop.ubi.com, too
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover - Collector's Edition
"pre-ordered release date: Mon Mar 21 00:00:00 CDT 2011"
Now we only have to wait for the "We know what you did, sir, and your order is cancelled, sir"-email
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 AM

Just got a mail from Amazon UK why they, unlike Amazon France and Germany, haven't listed CoD:

I've searched our catalogue, but the item "IL2 Sturmovik : Cliffs of Dover" you asked about is not currently listed. I can’t guarantee if or when it will be available for pre-order by us.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:00 PM

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Colector and standard edition is available from EB games Australia.$89.95 for standard and $109.95 CE
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 PM

sorry if been asked before but does anyone know when this will be available from the steam store?
Old 03-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Approved Member

I dont think anyone knows anything
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Default Dissapointed

Dear friends, greetings from Holland,

I've been lurking around for quite a while now. Actually, I'm one of those old farts that directly bought IL2 when it came out, back in 2001. Hard to believe the engine used is a decade old, but still looks extremely nice with everything maxed out on a new PC.

Anyway, I'm not here to show my praise towards the original, which was simply one of the best games I've ever played. I am here, though, to express my anger regarding this modern-day distribution thing. Around 2005 or so, digital download started to get popular. Personally, I am extremely against this kind of distribution. Why? Because I want to touch my copy. I want to hold it, sleep with it, whatever. More serious, I don't believe in "virtual purchases", or so to call. You never, ever know whether they will one day put an halt to a kind of service, certainly in these economic turbulent times.

Anyway, I can write 5 pages about how nostalgic I am, and how fond I am of opening a 15 year old box with a disk still looking brand new. Unfortunately, I don't have the time nor the energy to do so at this time, but I'll save it for the future.

What I basically want to say, is that I deeply, deeply regret this kind of distribution. In the Netherlands, it seems the game is ONLY available throughout digital download. Not even a basic variant of the game is released in our country. Yeah, through download.....

The tempt is big to write a long, dull rant about modern-day publishers, but that is also not what I'm going to do. Believe me, my fingers are itching, but I'm sure you guys have all heard it before, and will hear it again.

The question I wonder; Did I become too mature for games, or did games become too mature for me? Are we entering a stage in which cheap downloadable distribution, with no guarantees for the future whatsoever, take over the old-fashioned way of publishing? I think Ubisoft is making an enormous mistake, especially due to the public of Flight Simulators being more mature, and therefor more likely to represent the same values stated above.

I am going to send E-mails to a few retailers within the gaming industry to explain this issue. If we're lucky, one of my favourite shops will import the game itself, prior selling it to the consumer, which will safe me the hassle of using a foreign site, which is, a disaster due to not having a creditcard and language restrictions.

I hope we'll get some good news in the future, for a change.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermachtig View Post
Dear friends, greetings from Holland,

I've been lurking around for quite a while now. Actually, I'm one of those old farts that directly bought IL2 when it came out, back in 2001. Hard to believe the engine used is a decade old, but still looks extremely nice with everything maxed out on a new PC.

Anyway, I'm not here to show my praise towards the original, which was simply one of the best games I've ever played. I am here, though, to express my anger regarding this modern-day distribution thing. Around 2005 or so, digital download started to get popular. Personally, I am extremely against this kind of distribution. Why? Because I want to touch my copy. I want to hold it, sleep with it, whatever. More serious, I don't believe in "virtual purchases", or so to call. You never, ever know whether they will one day put an halt to a kind of service, certainly in these economic turbulent times.

Anyway, I can write 5 pages about how nostalgic I am, and how fond I am of opening a 15 year old box with a disk still looking brand new. Unfortunately, I don't have the time nor the energy to do so at this time, but I'll save it for the future.

What I basically want to say, is that I deeply, deeply regret this kind of distribution. In the Netherlands, it seems the game is ONLY available throughout digital download. Not even a basic variant of the game is released in our country. Yeah, through download.....

The tempt is big to write a long, dull rant about modern-day publishers, but that is also not what I'm going to do. Believe me, my fingers are itching, but I'm sure you guys have all heard it before, and will hear it again.

The question I wonder; Did I become too mature for games, or did games become too mature for me? Are we entering a stage in which cheap downloadable distribution, with no guarantees for the future whatsoever, take over the old-fashioned way of publishing? I think Ubisoft is making an enormous mistake, especially due to the public of Flight Simulators being more mature, and therefor more likely to represent the same values stated above.

I am going to send E-mails to a few retailers within the gaming industry to explain this issue. If we're lucky, one of my favourite shops will import the game itself, prior selling it to the consumer, which will safe me the hassle of using a foreign site, which is, a disaster due to not having a creditcard and language restrictions.

I hope we'll get some good news in the future, for a change.
It's a sign of the times my friend. Even PS3 games will soon be bought on online via Steam. If Steam ever goes belly up, I'll bet they'll release a patch so the game's you bought will be unlocked, even if their Licence Agreement says they have no obligation to do so. Failing that, the hackers will step in.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

There's more than 1 way to fly online with CoD

You will all soon be in the air and the forum will cool down a little

Old 03-23-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS~Hawks View Post
I would rather bye the box copy than down loading it. I hate down loading games it takes to long, the box give 1 hr installing and patching and your playing.
Down loading you waiting 6 or more hour then may have a power outage or some so you may have to re down load the 6hrs again, it a pain in the sun dont shine
Same here, in fact a freind of mine bought a DVD version of Napolean Total War which is a Steam game, only to find that the DVD only contained a link to Steam to download it online. So i didnt buy that game, as i have a cap of 10GB a month on my internet. I cant afford to spend £1 per GB over my limit, just because Steam says i have to. Especially when I already bought the game.
If they did that with IL2, that would kill me.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike_UK View Post
Same here, in fact a freind of mine bought a DVD version of Napolean Total War which is a Steam game, only to find that the DVD only contained a link to Steam to download it online. So i didnt buy that game, as i have a cap of 10GB a month on my internet. I cant afford to spend £1 per GB over my limit, just because Steam says i have to. Especially when I already bought the game.
If they did that with IL2, that would kill me.
You can install steam games from CD you just have to wait for the game to unlock on steam and then install it!