1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Katana1000S Katana1000S is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 247
Default How many infractions have you here?

Or bans and suchlike? its a joke how many times Tree has been banned and keeps getting back ... I'm not against Tree in any form or shape, just warning the mods here that their inconsistent moderation will back fire on them at some point.

And yes I'm aware Tree has been banned yet again.

I think certain mods here need to back off, get their egos in check and stop siding with virtual friends when an argument pops up, lest we have a clamp down place like the DCS boards, and we all know who the bully is there.

Do we really want that kind of crap here?
  #2  
Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 AM
Warhound Warhound is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 228
Default

Infractions? Never came close to one or personally know anyone who has any.
A moderator I respect told me this recently :
Quote:
It's manners (or lack thereof) that count most in things like that, not the opinion itself. It's like women around the world say, "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" "
  #3  
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Fjordmonkey Fjordmonkey is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Larvik, Norway
Posts: 350
Default

Meh, if anything, the Mods needs to be MORE aggressive in maintaining order here, not more relaxed. There's so many people that needs a good smack across the fingers (me included, every now and then) since they cannot or will not stay on-topic, constructive and non-trolling.

People need to realize a few things about forums: They're not a democracy, you don't have freedom of speech, and you certainly don't have freedom from consequence. People should start reading the rules of the forums they're on more closely, to be honest, since they accept them when you created the forum-account. And here, like on the DCS-boards, moderation isn't up for discussion, as far as I know. I may or may not like the moderation that's being done, but it's not my place to bitch about it. The rules are simple, and albeit they might be stupid and arbitrary to some, whatever happens when/if you break them is 100% your own fault.

So far I haven't gotten any infractions. Maybe that's down to HOW I word my posts (some have been less than polite..) than down to what I actually say in them.
  #4  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Katana1000S Katana1000S is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 247
Default

Nice to meet the good boys.



I'm just saying like ... I've had one infraction from a mod here for giving a well known troll a piece of my mind on a respectful thread about real guys who flew and served, the troll in question has known previous in this area, I had a lot of PM's in support, but still a mod sided with this guy and infrracted me, LOL.

I've been the biggest supporter there was of this franchise and I dont expect any preferential treatment for it ... I'm here for the sims long run.

But to the mod who fracted me ( is that a right word? ) this forum is already dying a slow death ... i only come on here about once a week and normally enjoyed the place ... now i cant be bothered.

Just consolidating my complaint about *one* moderator here.

Now lets get back to arguing.
  #5  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Katana1000S Katana1000S is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordmonkey View Post
Meh, if anything, the Mods needs to be MORE aggressive in maintaining order here, not more relaxed. There's so many people that needs a good smack across the fingers (me included, every now and then) since they cannot or will not stay on-topic, constructive and non-trolling.

People need to realize a few things about forums: They're not a democracy, you don't have freedom of speech, and you certainly don't have freedom from consequence. People should start reading the rules of the forums they're on more closely, to be honest, since they accept them when you created the forum-account. And here, like on the DCS-boards, moderation isn't up for discussion, as far as I know. I may or may not like the moderation that's being done, but it's not my place to bitch about it. The rules are simple, and albeit they might be stupid and arbitrary to some, whatever happens when/if you break them is 100% your own fault.

So far I haven't gotten any infractions. Maybe that's down to HOW I word my posts (some have been less than polite..) than down to what I actually say in them.
Your submissiveness will get you far
  #6  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:48 AM
Feathered_IV's Avatar
Feathered_IV Feathered_IV is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,467
Default

It's now a race to see if any one of the other moderators can put a lock on this thread before Blackdog can finish his fourteen paragraphs.
  #7  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Blackdog_kt Blackdog_kt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordmonkey View Post
So far I haven't gotten any infractions. Maybe that's down to HOW I word my posts (some have been less than polite..) than down to what I actually say in them.
That's pretty much the bottom line. The more people talk instead of venting and raging, the less infractions and bans we will have on the forum.

Example 1:

"Hey, i found this and this bug, i did this and that test and here's what i found. I believe it's important to fix this for reasons A, B and C."

"My opinion on this matter is..." (insert opinion, either liking or disliking something).



Example 2:

"Omg, is this a joke? Were they drinking vodka again? I hope (insert different flight sim publisher) buys this and gets it fixed!"

"How can you say that (insert other user's opinion)? This is so (proceed with namecalling and insults)"

"This is my opinion and i'm going to convince you about it, whether you like it or not"

There are both "whiners" and "fanboys" who are guilty of this behaviour.
These examples are usually followed by "my freedom of speech" tirades by the same people that make sure nobody else can discuss anything, without having their threads derailed and drifting to the same subjects every single time. That is, THEY violate the freedom of speech of users who want to discuss other matters on the forum.


Everything under example 1 is what's considered perfectly acceptable situations.

Everything under example 2 is what gets recommendations to change the tone. Then if that fails repeatedly, the banstick starts swinging.

Frankly, i prefer to talk to people, explain things to them and make them see a reason to change. Not their opinions, but their manners and how they express these opinions (respectfully instead of rudely).

However, that is not doable with repeat offenders because they view this as a weakness on my part and try to exploit it to keep doing what they like doing at the expense of every other forum user.

In that case i skip straight to handing out infractions. I have limited time, lot's of threads to moderate and i'm not getting paid for this. So, i'd rather spend my time talking to people that have a chance of changing their attitudes in a way that benefits the forum, instead of trying to sweet-talk someone i know will not think twice before ignoring me and doing the same thing as soon as i turn my attention elsewhere.

A perfect example of this is how i will handle this thread.

I gave you a suitable answer and i won't give you an infraction despite the appearance that you have an axe to grind with the mods, because my job is not to play God.
My job is to make sure we can have questions and answers here and exchange opinions. And i answered you, despite the fact that i firmly believe you have an axe to grind.
Why? Because maybe i could be wrong and misunderstood you, or maybe English is not your first language (it's not mine either) and you weren't clear enough.

This is called giving the benefit of doubt to someone and this is what i want to convey to the forum users. If everyone here did this, we would have no infractions and no bans.

However, i will still lock this thread because it breaks the forum rules and if i don't, it will be unfair to other people who have had their threads locked for less.

So, the trick to being a mod is to be fair. Not only when it's liked, but also when it's disliked.

I'm sure there are people right now that will be upset with me for closing this thread, as well as people who will be upset with me for giving you an answer before closing it instead of giving you an infraction.

Believe it or not, i get a lot of PMs from people who think we are too soft, asking us to be stricter and ban more users




EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
It's now a race to see if any one of the other moderators can put a lock on this thread before Blackdog can finish his fourteen paragraphs.
Hahahaha brilliant and you're right on the money
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
It's now a race to see if any one of the other moderators can put a lock on this thread before Blackdog can finish his fourteen paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Only bad things will be commented. Good things are expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
War is usually the massacre of young people that don't know each other for the sake of old people who don't fight and know each other.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 AM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.