1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Default Flying the Il-2

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for flying the Il-2? I've tried searching this forum and the UBI one but having the plane in question being the name of the game means that practically every thread shows up!

I'm ok with the general principles of flight and ground attack but are there any tips and tricks for flying this bird? I'm thinking along the lines of how to tweak the best performance from it (prop pitch etc), how best to evade attacks, how to fuel it and so on.

Thanks,

D
Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Approved Member

I have several dosens of online tracks, with large (~1 hour) mission on Il-2 - various modifications. With 1-2-3-4 enemy fighters shot down, effective ground attacks (for example - 8 Pz4 tanks killed by 4 launch of RS-132)... Young assault pilots of my squad learned to fly looking that tracks...
Matthew 26:52
Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Approved Member

Never shoot at something which is shooting at you.

If need be fly low.

The rest always seemed self-explanatory to me.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLewis View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for flying the Il-2? I've tried searching this forum and the UBI one but having the plane in question being the name of the game means that practically every thread shows up!

I'm ok with the general principles of flight and ground attack but are there any tips and tricks for flying this bird? I'm thinking along the lines of how to tweak the best performance from it (prop pitch etc), how best to evade attacks, how to fuel it and so on.

Thanks,

D
I only fly the IL2 with a rear gunner. Then when under attack I fly low on the deck. If an enemy gets on my six I weave left and right letting my rear gunner work on the enemy. I stay very low so the enemy cannot dip under me and take out my radiator.

It works pretty well, or maybe I should say as well as you can expect.

When cannons are being used against you they can still do you in.

The IL2 is a flying tank, with lots of armor. Just stay low and don't show the underbelly. You will be surprised how many hits you can take and still make it home.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:08 AM

The Il-2 is tough, but the only armored parts are around the cockpit. It can easily be destroyed by hitting the wings, and it's usually at much too low of an altitude for the crew to bail.

There is really not much to say about this plane. It's not a fighter, so it's hardly maneuverable. Your only option is to weave side to side, and maybe throw in a slip or skid to confuse the enemy when he shoots. Other than that, pray.

As for performance tips, there are none. The Il-2 is not meant to be fast, or evasive. It's meant to have good fighter cover, and good team work. However, I cruise at maybe 50% power and prop-pitch, sometimes less. Cruise is usually at tree-top height, so mixture is hardly anything to worry about. The radiator does a good job even while closed and left alone. While attacking I use full power, but I might reduce power to help lower the nose for a dive.

It excels as a ground attack aircraft, but it can be very dangerous. Pilots received a Hero of the Soviet Union medal for surviving just 10 sorties. I don't think I've lasted that long in a campaign without being killed either. Part of the problem, ironically, is its huge ammo load. The Soviet philosphy of ground attack was to make repeated passes on a target until it was totally decimated, or until all ammo was exhausted.

However, after the first pass, the enemy is on alert, and now every gun available is being pointed at you. Fighters can also be called onto your position.

So to survive you have to abandon this approach completely and take a minimum load, and make only one hit-and-run pass. (Think of Mosquitos, Beaufighters, etc.)

If you chose to make repeated passes as was the historical Soviet doctrine, then I hope these tips will prolong your life a little bit:

Never fly directly into a target that is shooting at you. After the attack, egress at very low altitude to avoid being hit. Don't show your wings to the guns on the ground by banking. Attack from a variety of angles to spread out the anti-aircraft fire, but also watch out for your wingmen; you don't want to be over the target when a bomb goes off.

When firing rockets, fire a complete salvo all at once, and then bug out. Too many folks will fire a pair at a time and make multiple passes this way. This is dangerous, but also not historical. As tanks require a direct hit you are guaranteed one by firing a whole salvo. For aiming, it helps to set the rocket convergence at the same distance as for the guns and cannon.

There is a trick to dropping bombs accurately, and it works almost always. Initiate a 30-45 degree dive onto the target. Although it's tempting, don't fly in at a shallower angle. Put your target on the cross hairs. At the point of release, pull up slightly so the target "touches" the nose of the plane. If you release your bombs while the target is still under the cross hairs they will fall short. Afterwords, bug out at low level. The cluster munitions and bomblets are effective, but are released slowly. For me these work best as above, but released sooner and at a higher altitude, and then by leveling out and continuing over the target.

Last edited by Romanator21; 03-12-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Thanks Romanator - that's useful to me. I usually fly fighters so am used to tweaking mixtures, prop pitch and so on to get the best performance but I can see that's not needed as much with the Il2. I have found an Il2 flight manual (original translated I assume) for takeoff and cruising (in friendly and unfriendly skies) that also seems useful.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Approved Member

Aha! That reminds me of the most important tactic.

1) Perceive the turn radius (at the current speed) and energy level of your opponent.

2) Then perceive what the turn radius and energy level of your opponent will be after making a turn (in essence think ahead two or three maneuvers). One can visualise this as a "flower" of possible maximum turns at current speed, the end point of each petal of the flower then becomes the starting point of its own "flower" of potential turn radii.

3) Any maneuver creates a blind spot that can't be reached from the position the maneuver ends in. It should be possible to set up a situation whereby your aircraft ends up inside of the enemy's turn (thereby denying them a shot).

In this way it is possible to use geometry to deny an opponent the ability to fire on you. In this way I have won a number of fights in aircaft that lacked the turn radius, roll, speed, climb or accelleration of my opponent.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks everyone - all good advice!
Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Approved Member

Some of my missions...

It was on AirForceWarI...

Task was: kill enemy artillery positions, and dont let german Ju87+Bf109 kill our tanks...
Attached Files
File Type: zip Il-2Mlate_5killas_camp.zip (4.83 MB, 8 views)
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

Another ground attack mission... was very hard, but... As You may see...

One of usual
Attached Files
File Type: zip Il-2fieldmod amazing.zip (4.49 MB, 6 views)