1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
It would great to see them win. What might be sticking point for flight sims is that EA are arguing that the inclusion of the chopper isn't a main selling point of the game just a prop, pardon the pun, in the larger scenario. But in a flight sim the aircraft included will be a fundamental selling point, I fear this may still be a problem for flight sims. Definately interested to see who wins.
Good point, but I'm wondering if the same could be stopping a filmmaker or book author from making a film or writing a book in which an aircraft type (e.g. a Grumman) plays an essential role, without obtaining explicit permission to do so. According to the Supreme Court Ruling of last June, Video games are now in the same category of free expression. Not being a trademark lawyer, but I'd say that would tip things in the favour of video game makers, including flight sims (hopefully).
Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM

Hmm, could mean that they eventually re-classify video games as Art instead of childrens toys... Then we'd get proper luftwaffe markings.
(The main reason we don't in the UK and USA is that you can't have swastikas on toys).
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Approved Member

The only reason they are not in the US is because of European law.

You can't blame this one on us.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winny View Post
Hmm, could mean that they eventually re-classify video games as Art instead of childrens toys... Then we'd get proper luftwaffe markings.
(The main reason we don't in the UK and USA is that you can't have swastikas on toys).
Well we can get them in the UK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
Its a glass half full/half empty scenario, we all know the problems, we all know what needs to be fixed it just some people focus on the water they have and some focus on the water that isnt there....
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 | Intel i7 930 | Corsair H70 | ATI 5970 | 6GB Kingston DDR3 | Intel 160GB G2 | Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit |
MONITOR: Acer S243HL.
CASE: Thermaltake LEVEL 10.
INPUTS: KG13 Warthog, Saitek Pedals, Track IR 4.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM

It does seem a bit silly that I can watch Raiders of the lost ark and it's a swastikafest but I can't see the exact same thing in CLoD because it's "A Game"
(when CloD is easily the more accurate history wise)

Hopefully someone will re-look at how video games are classified..
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM

I think the problem with Grumman was more to do with box art and contract negotiations that are still binding. So any precidents set in court would (probably) not help get Grumman into the IL-2 series. Hopefully I am wrong.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...49&postcount=9
Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 PM

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of in my life.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehawk View Post
Interesting, I wonder if Raiders had to shop the swastikas out in Germany/RU?
In Germany no, because it's a film it's art and it's (the swastika) allowed (except if it 'promotes nazi ideology')

I think the Russian stance may be different.

The same rule applies in the USA and all of the EU countries (AFAIK)

Not many people know that the reason CLoD and video games in general, can't ship with correct markings is a classification problem not a content problem.

It falls foul of a law passed to keep swastikas off childrens toys.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 PM

The only place I can find that claim regarding the USA is TVTropes, I suspect it is simply good taste that keeps the symbol off toys here... When I go to the Revel model site I see some model planes featuring the symbol. The site has a separate German section and those planes do not have the symbol... So I think ElAurens is right (it's not our fault!!)

The only law I know of in USA is New York (I think) a swastika used as graffiti is a felony.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Pilsner View Post
The only place I can find that claim regarding the USA is TVTropes, I suspect it is simply good taste that keeps the symbol off toys here... When I go to the Revel model site I see some model planes featuring the symbol. The site has a separate German section and those planes do not have the symbol... So I think ElAurens is right (it's not our fault!!)

The only law I know of in USA is New York (I think) a swastika used as graffiti is a felony.
You're probably right, I was posting from memory. I forget that you guys have the 1st amendment.

Edit: so when you buy a scale model 109 in the USA does it come with or without?

Last edited by winny; 01-12-2012 at 10:39 PM.