1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Pilot's Lounge

Pilot's Lounge Members meetup

Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Approved Member

Default Challenging WW2 Pilots Tasks

Just found this short movie today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=V6cl4TvZopA

Asus P6T V2 Deluxe, I7 930, 3x2 GB RAM XMS3 Corsair1333 Mhz, Nvidia Leadtek GTX 470, Acer 1260p screen projector, Track IR 4 OS ver5, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder, Saitek X52, Win 7 x64 ultimate
Old 05-30-2012, 10:27 AM

At the time there was still some military transport going on horse drawn, but this looked more like haystacks.
The allies strafed almost anything they could find in late 1945 and many fresh pilots probably wanted to fire off some bullets at the Germans before the war's end, and not return 'empty handed'.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM

I'm sure they are actually blue players in disguise.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
The allies strafed almost anything they could find in late 1945 and many fresh pilots probably wanted to fire off some bullets at the Germans before the war's end, and not return 'empty handed'.
Correct but also allied fighter pilots who fired bullets into groups of innocent civilian passersby, childs or farm workers stand with such a criminal behavior outside the provisions of national criminal law and international war-laws like the Geneva convention. Shame, this has nothing to do with honorable human behavior. Its an unpunished war crime!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM

So I guess these wouldn't be legitimate targets?

Who knows what was in the wagon. Stores? Munitions? If you can pick out the detail from that gun camera footage you've got better eyes than me.

It's in a combat zone and the pilots were probably give orders to interdict all road transport and that would include animal drawn vehicles.

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 05-30-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Approved Member

The German army, if anyone cares to study actual history was largely horsedrawn right to the end of the war.

LOL, Beat me to it Skosh.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAim View Post
The German army, if anyone cares to study actual history was largely horsedrawn right to the end of the war.

LOL, Beat me to it Skosh.
Check out the cart at 43 seconds. Does that look like it explodes? I wonder what was in side?
Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Its an unpunished war crime
A war that wouldn't have happened if.........well we all know the story, the Allies certainly did do some questionable things....but at least their actions could be blamed on provocation, the Germans (Nazis) however chose to indulge in these same things from the beginning of the War as agressors.

Yes I saw the exploding cart.....must have been that 'special' type of haybales, probably for the stables at the petting zoo in the 'camp Zion' holliday park.

Intel Q9550 @3.3ghz(OC), Asus rampage extreme MOBO, Nvidia GTX470 1.2Gb Vram, 8Gb DDR3 Ram, Win 7 64bit ultimate edition
Old 05-30-2012, 12:53 PM

oh guys please.. it happened on both sides, you had to keep your head down because it was total war. The Germans did it, the Japanese did it (I'm sure the Italian did it too at some point), and God knows if the American and British did it as well.

It is a war crime, and when documented or reported it was also treated as such, unless some cases where the population put their hands on the pilots and tore them to bits.

It's called collateral damage.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:54 PM

If memory serves me correctly, the Janes WWII Fighters Sim had legitimate Horese drawn targets.

I can see that there would be a certain reluctance on cruelty-to-virtual-animals grounds for not having them, though I'm surprised on a historical basis that ROF doesn't have them.

Some how I don't think a poll based on 'give me animals to shoot (Y or N)' would be in good taste!

Last edited by Skoshi Tiger; 05-30-2012 at 12:58 PM.