1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Tips and Hints

Tips and Hints Different solutions, tips and hints.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 AM
hawker hawker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 77
Default Top 10 tips for everybody starting the game! (non-spoiler)

* You can increase combat animation speed in Options! It's a dropdown among the technical graphics options, so it's really easy to miss. Everybody should do this.

* You'll get the Rage Spirits by doing the King's quests (the ones marked in the list with a little crown). Once you have the box, talk to the spirits on the Hero screen to get them to work for you.

* Right-click and hold to move the camera, both on adventure and combat screen. (Limited to 180 degrees in combat)

* Right-click and hold on an unit or unit picture for a quick reference of its statistics. Shift/Ctrl click, with left mouse button, on an unit or unit picture for the info popup to stay, so that you can hover the mouse over the numbers and icons and see what all that means.

* Alt key shows turn order in combat.

* Scribe scrolls into the magic book by clicking the button next to them in the book.

* ... but don't waste magic crystals and runes on useless spells and skills; spend them only on things you really want or need, as they're not plentiful at all, particularly later in the game. High end spells may take some 50 magic crystals to scribe and upgrade.

* There's a limit on the unscribed spells in the spellbook. If you see for sale a spell you want, but can't buy for some reason, either scribe or right-click on some of your extra scrolls and chuck them out to make room (or just use them in combat).

* Once you have an upgraded spell in your spellbook, you can still cast the cheaper, lower level versions by holding Shift or Ctrl while the spellbook is open.



* F5 key quicksaves the game. Thoughtfully, the game keeps not one but three of your last quicksaves. The game also auto-saves in castles.

* Always check enemy strength before combat, by right-clicking them while adventuring. Always save before entering a battle whose difficulty you can't judge firsthand, such as creatures in castles, or upgrading/pacifying items. The Scouting skill under Soul gives additional info about enemies and is a prerequisite for many others, so it's useful to have at least on level 1.

* You can right-click and Use the Thorn sprouts, spider/snake/griffon/dragon eggs and other such items to summon creatures of that type.

* You can upgrade some items by right-clicking them and choosing Upgrade. You'll then fight the gremlins that inhabit the item. Warning: depending on the item those fights may be very difficult, so save first.

* Some items can form item sets which give additional bonuses if you're wearing all its members. Right-click on an item and choose Info. If it belongs to a set, then it's written there.

* Enemies, treasures, available items and troops etc are randomized. There's no single strategy for anything.

* It's possible to run the game in windowed mode by editing the .INI

(will add more as I think of them )

Last edited by hawker; 09-24-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-24-2008, 08:33 AM
homunculus88 homunculus88 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4
Default

Great stuff, hawker! Keep it coming!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-24-2008, 09:08 AM
wargamerjack wargamerjack is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Excellent ...thank you very much ...cheers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Wolfpaw Wolfpaw is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Great.. exactly what I looked for
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Daedalus Daedalus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 56
Default

what i'd like to know is if there is a difference between russian and english version atm
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 AM
LiveInABox LiveInABox is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post

* You can upgrade some items by right-clicking them and choosing Upgrade. You'll then fight the gremlins that inhabit the item. Warning: depending on the item those fights may be very difficult, so save first.
is there actually a penalty for dying though? in the demo its a bonus cos u get extra cash for it..i suppose u do lose your army.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Nike-it's Avatar
Nike-it Nike-it is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Russia
Posts: 3,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInABox View Post
is there actually a penalty for dying though? in the demo its a bonus cos u get extra cash for it..i suppose u do lose your army.
You will lose your army and stuff, but level and skills will not be removed. And also you will continue the game from the King's castle.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM
jake21 jake21 is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike-it View Post
You will lose your army and stuff, but level and skills will not be removed. And also you will continue the game from the King's castle.
You indicate you will loose your 'stuff'. Do you mean items? If so can items be recovered by winning hte battle later on ? Also, sometimes you are utterly defeated and game is over. Is this totally random or based on number of times you've previously lost ?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
hawker hawker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 77
Default

You'll never lose items, but if you lose certain battles it is the end. I think it depends on whether it's possible to run away in a particular fight: if it isn't, like in castle sieges, then it's game over if you lose, otherwise you'll end back at the king's castle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Fargol Fargol is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker View Post
* You can increase combat animation speed in Options! It's a dropdown among the technical graphics options, so it's really easy to miss. Everybody should do this.

* You'll get the Rage Spirits by doing the King's quests (the ones marked in the list with a little crown). Once you have the box, talk to the spirits on the Hero screen to get them to work for you.

* Right-click and hold to move the camera, both on adventure and combat screen. (Limited to 180 degrees in combat)

* Right-click and hold on an unit or unit picture for a quick reference of its statistics. Shift/Ctrl click, with left mouse button, on an unit or unit picture for the info popup to stay, so that you can hover the mouse over the numbers and icons and see what all that means.

* Alt key shows turn order in combat.

* Scribe scrolls into the magic book by clicking the button next to them in the book.

* ... but don't waste magic crystals and runes on useless spells and skills; spend them only on things you really want or need, as they're not plentiful at all, particularly later in the game. High end spells may take some 50 magic crystals to scribe and upgrade.

* There's a limit on the unscribed spells in the spellbook. If you see for sale a spell you want, but can't buy for some reason, either scribe or right-click on some of your extra scrolls and chuck them out to make room (or just use them in combat).

* Once you have an upgraded spell in your spellbook, you can still cast the cheaper, lower level versions by holding Shift or Ctrl while the spellbook is open.



* F5 key quicksaves the game. Thoughtfully, the game keeps not one but three of your last quicksaves. The game also auto-saves in castles.

* Always check enemy strength before combat, by right-clicking them while adventuring. Always save before entering a battle whose difficulty you can't judge firsthand, such as creatures in castles, or upgrading/pacifying items. The Scouting skill under Soul gives additional info about enemies and is a prerequisite for many others, so it's useful to have at least on level 1.

* You can right-click and Use the Thorn sprouts, spider/snake/griffon/dragon eggs and other such items to summon creatures of that type.

* You can upgrade some items by right-clicking them and choosing Upgrade. You'll then fight the gremlins that inhabit the item. Warning: depending on the item those fights may be very difficult, so save first.

* Some items can form item sets which give additional bonuses if you're wearing all its members. Right-click on an item and choose Info. If it belongs to a set, then it's written there.

* Enemies, treasures, available items and troops etc are randomized. There's no single strategy for anything.

* It's possible to run the game in windowed mode by editing the .INI

(will add more as I think of them )
Two comments:

1. One thing I find annoying is moving around the map by clicking and holding the mouse; it makes the map rotate. Instead, just single-clicking on the ground keeps the map oriented.

2. I tried the windowed mode by modifying the .ini file, but the game performance went right down the tubes. Maybe I needed to synch game resolution to desktop resolution, but it was virtually unplayable.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 PM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.