1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Steam poll
Yes I have and like using Steam 256 54.47%
Yes I have and dont like using Steam 67 14.26%
No I do not have Steam but will for CoD 52 11.06%
No I do not have Steam and will not for CoD 95 20.21%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 PM

Default Poll regarding Steam users

I just wanted to see what the community at large thinks of Steam, as it seems like there are quite a number of people that either don't have it or choose not to have it for various reasons...

Im trying not to start anything in the way of a argument over whether Steam is good or bad, just want to see its usage.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM

i have purchased only 3 games that needed STEAM in my PC life
i had with all three proplems, 2 of them i could not install.

I would prefer not to be forced to use STEAM at least during the install, i have already preordered a DVD version
in general, i have nothing against STEAM, and i have no expereince with its "server browser" system.
and, for people who have no proplems with the programm, IF CoD will be avaialble via STEAM, it can be much more easy for them to purchase the game too !
Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM

I use STEAM for all my games, including games that weren't published via STEAM , I link them into STEAM so I can access all my games from one app. It's great.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 PM

I buy most of my pc games through Steam, and have never had an issue. In terms of digital distribution, I think its the best out there.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:11 PM

I honestly don't see what the big deal is, so many ppl bickering about steam. If you don't like it.. don't use it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Hecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmadmax View Post
I honestly don't see what the big deal is, so many ppl bickering about steam. If you don't like it.. don't use it.
Sure, but what if we have to use it if we want to play Cliffs of Dover...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Approved Member

last game addon i bought on steam last week downloaded at 500-550k per second
its not bad
holds the games you purchase in its games library so you can just re download them if required
only time they really annoyed me was when i bought a game on ebay and when i tried to install said this code is not for your region bla bla so basically i wasted my money
didnt buy any games from steam for about 3 years after that
even now i let alot of games slide that i would of previously bought
i dont think it pays for companys to piss off the people that spend money with them

Darbo
Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG53Frankyboy View Post
i have purchased only 3 games that needed STEAM in my PC life
i had with all three proplems, 2 of them i could not install.

I would prefer not to be forced to use STEAM at least during the install, i have already preordered a DVD version
in general, i have nothing against STEAM, and i have no expereince with its "server browser" system.
and, for people who have no proplems with the programm, IF CoD will be avaialble via STEAM, it can be much more easy for them to purchase the game too !
I have similar experience from working at a web cafe for about three years. It wasn't garbage but it wasn't great either. In any case, my experience with it didn't convince me to choose Steam for any of my gaming purchases.

I have no problem with it as long as it works offline, i can bypass auto-updates in favor of manual patching, can roll back to a previous version and have multiple installs. The final verdict is a tie, since i know you can do the first two easily, but the third requires a complete copy of the game folder and the fourth is said to be impossible.

The main advantages in using Steam are word of mouth advertisement by people who have other Steam games (i don't even have all of my real-life friends in my starcraft2 contact list and don't own any Steam games, so i wouldn't qualify as exactly helpful in this regard, but others might) in favor of the development team, plus the ability to download and install the game in case of a damaged disc as far as direct benefits to the customer are concerned. Everything else is stuff that's welcome but i really don't care much about or have any real need/use for.

I think i'm going to get the sim anyway, but i definitely don't want to install through Steam and i really hope Steam is only there as a server browser and not much else for those of us who purchase a hard copy version.
Then i'm going to mouth off on Ubi's support forums with the entitlement of a paying customer every time a problem arises in the hopes of making it optional for the next expansion in the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
If Steam would sell CoD that's great, with all the benefits for users and developer. It would please all who like Steam's environment. However, why do we need Steam in order to play while we have a splendid protection system from the sounds of it? Isn't that enough?

Options are always nice, I hope it just means: You need a steam account if you buy it through Steam ( logical) , as I do not see the direct need for it. Why hassle the community up with yet another requirement?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearfactor View Post
I've been looking forward to this sim for years and been on this forum for a good while too but sad to say I won't buy this som now. I'll buy ROF instead even though it doesn't have much for oflline players. At least they eventually stopped the constant online requirement. Something Oleg and crew apparently did not learn a lesson from. I really don't play online so I don't want to even have a connection up when I play a game.
No luck mate, they only dropped it for scripted campaigns. Their dynamic campaign still needs to download each mission from the master server. As for what their new dynamic campaign will work like, i have no idea.

To be fair though, Steam is actually much less severe than RoF's system, you can play offline with Steam just fine.
It's just the fact that copy protection is already handled by Solidshield and that we'll be getting perfectly good boxed editions that gets me puzzled about why having to integrate it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Only bad things will be commented. Good things are expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
War is usually the massacre of young people that don't know each other for the sake of old people who don't fight and know each other.

Last edited by Blackdog_kt; 03-08-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 AM

I'm against 1C Maddox increasing their profits through digital distribution, and for protecting their intellectual properties. I really hate any changes, and I don't understand this Steam at all. I am now going to give some anecdotal evidence that is extremely vague to back up my argument.

It honestly sounds like many of you never really gave Steam a shot. There are a number of threads on the first page of this forum. Read through them ask questions. Many of us it seems do use Steam, and have shown through out those threads that we are also knowledgeable about the service. There have been links showing that 1C Publishing really likes the service.

In the beginning when Steam was first introduced I really didn't like that concept of it, but it was easy enough to create an account and log it in. Literally logging in is either automatic at start up, you can choose to have to type your password in every time, or you can just set it to start in offline mode at start, or for it to not auto start at all. Please before you go boycotting this game that you've been looking forward to dare to ask those of us that are knowledgeable about the service questions.

If you've had trouble with it in the past be specific about what that trouble was. No one can help you out when you are extremely vague about the source of your woes.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:12 AM
Approved Member

HERESY! APOSTASY! FLAPJACKS! You think you can come in here with your fancy reason and hoity-toity considered approach? Do you not know that this is a flight sim community, the proud residence of the most backward minds in PC Gaming? We don't care for you high-falutin' thoughtfulness round here. Where's my goddamn gun