1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Bearcat Bearcat is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern Va. by way of Da Bronx
Posts: 992
Default Hey TD ..! Another is this doable post!

Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters? As it is now they are set at meters if I am not mistaken.. I don't know how doable that is though... Sort of like a variant on the speedbar toggle..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 AM
RPS69 RPS69 is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters? As it is now they are set at meters if I am not mistaken.. I don't know how doable that is though... Sort of like a variant on the speedbar toggle..
Man, get used on the metric system. The USA, is almost the last place on earth still officialy using imperials. The british are slowly accepting them, but for once changing anyway.

If you need converting so much just mentally multiply by 3. If you want precision, after mutliplying, add 10%. You may also multiply by 3.3

If you want it in yards, just multiply meters by 1.1, or add a 10%.

I agree that instruments on brittish and american aircraft are in imperials, but for using Icons, nowadays a mere offline activity, come on!

Still, I guess that the answer to your question, is undoubtedly, YES!... but in two weeks...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 AM
IceFire IceFire is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,879
Default

While metric is ideal for me (unfortunately being stuck halfway between metric and Imperial and US) and that's how I play IL-2... from a historical standpoint since so many gunsights and cockpit systems use various measurement systems I think this is a pretty reasonable request.

If it were a modern day shooter then I think metric is the only way to go (and that tends to be represented in most if not all representations of those) but for a historical sim having distances on the icons show up in different measurement systems used at the time seems reasonable.
__________________
Find my missions and much more at Mission4Today.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 AM
horseback horseback is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS69 View Post
Man, get used on the metric system. The USA, is almost the last place on earth still officialy using imperials. The british are slowly accepting them, but for once changing anyway.

If you need converting so much just mentally multiply by 3. If you want precision, after mutliplying, add 10%. You may also multiply by 3.3

If you want it in yards, just multiply meters by 1.1, or add a 10%.

I agree that instruments on brittish and american aircraft are in imperials, but for using Icons, nowadays a mere offline activity, come on!

Still, I guess that the answer to your question, is undoubtedly, YES!... but in two weeks...
You may not appreciate how hard it is to make the conversion to metric measures for the Brits and us Americans (who have the double penalty of our crappy basic educational system). I'm sure it was just as hard for your ancestors converting to metric a century or two ago, but it's hard to grow up in one system of weights, volume and measures and then convert to a new one, no matter how logical it is.

Y'know, I've been doing the math in my head ever since the late 1960s when I was swimming competitively in pools measured by yards for my high school team and then swimming in pools measured in meters for my AAU team during the summers, but metric isn't really 'real' to me. I just never got the same feeling of accomplishment from doing a 500m Freestyle in under 5:30 that I got from doing a quarter mile Free in under 4:15...

I can look at a piece of lumber and know instantly that it's an inch thick and about 6 feet long by about 15 inches wide, but I have to do the math in my head to get the metric equivalents--and even then, if I don't write them down, I'll have to do it all over again later. When I'm trying to do an acceleration comparison and noting the altitude variations between 10kph intervals, a climb or a drop of 30 m doesn't sound like much until I realize that hey, that's as high as a building at least eight stories high (no wonder I lost a second or two compared to the more level intervals in other runs)!

Have a little compassion for us ignoramuses.

cheers

horseback
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-13-2013, 01:03 AM
SuperEtendard's Avatar
SuperEtendard SuperEtendard is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7
Default

I have the same 'feeling' that horseback has but in the oposite, from meter to feet, yard, mile ...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM
MicroWave's Avatar
MicroWave MicroWave is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseback View Post
You may not appreciate how hard it is to make the conversion to metric measures for the Brits and us Americans (who have the double penalty of our crappy basic educational system). I'm sure it was just as hard for your ancestors converting to metric a century or two ago, but it's hard to grow up in one system of weights, volume and measures and then convert to a new one, no matter how logical it is.

Y'know, I've been doing the math in my head ever since the late 1960s when I was swimming competitively in pools measured by yards for my high school team and then swimming in pools measured in meters for my AAU team during the summers, but metric isn't really 'real' to me. I just never got the same feeling of accomplishment from doing a 500m Freestyle in under 5:30 that I got from doing a quarter mile Free in under 4:15...

I can look at a piece of lumber and know instantly that it's an inch thick and about 6 feet long by about 15 inches wide, but I have to do the math in my head to get the metric equivalents--and even then, if I don't write them down, I'll have to do it all over again later. When I'm trying to do an acceleration comparison and noting the altitude variations between 10kph intervals, a climb or a drop of 30 m doesn't sound like much until I realize that hey, that's as high as a building at least eight stories high (no wonder I lost a second or two compared to the more level intervals in other runs)!

Have a little compassion for us ignoramuses.

cheers

horseback
Don't worry about it. At least we have units of time in common.
Well, until someone decides that 24 hours per day makes no sense and we should introduce new hour unit which will be 10 new hours per day, 100 new minutes per new hour and 100 new seconds per new minute.

Of course, working hours will still be 8 new hours per day. So people can more easily adjust to new time measuring units.
__________________
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Pursuivant Pursuivant is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroWave View Post
Well, until someone decides that 24 hours per day makes no sense and we should introduce new hour unit which will be 10 new hours per day, 100 new minutes per new hour and 100 new seconds per new minute.
Decimal hours and months were part of the original metric system as proposed in 1799, but they were too radical to catch on, even for the French revolutionaries.

As to IL2, I'm another dumb American who's only semi-literate in metric measurements, but IL2 has helped me a lot!

I find it helpful to think of the range icons as units of approximately 100 yards.

Attested by my hand, Year 220, Decade 27, Prairal 25

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

Last edited by Pursuivant; 06-13-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2013, 12:29 PM
RPS69 RPS69 is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 362
Default

To horseback, I'am used to change imperials vs metric all the time.
I have to, I work with machinery that when being made on the states, they have all screws in imperials, and when they are european or asian, they use metric instead. I hate that, because it forces me to have tools for both standards.

Still I happen to calculate the conversions authomatically. Without thinking to much about it.

I agree that the relations in between inches, feets and yards, could become very practical on a hex map deploy, because of their base 3 nature. But miles, knots, galons, and all else, are just pure caos.

BTW to change the hours like someone else said, you must change the number of degrees defined for a circle, that is also base three... Somehow, putting a triangle into a circle is something very practical, and having a 10th base on degrees will become a problem for everybody.

And in general I appreciates bearcats posts, unless he asks for correcting .50s dispersion...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 PM
Treetop64's Avatar
Treetop64 Treetop64 is offline
What the heck...?
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Redwood City, California
Posts: 511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroWave View Post
Don't worry about it. At least we have units of time in common.
Well, until someone decides that 24 hours per day makes no sense and we should introduce new hour unit which will be 10 new hours per day, 100 new minutes per new hour and 100 new seconds per new minute.

Of course, working hours will still be 8 new hours per day. So people can more easily adjust to new time measuring units.
Lol, be careful what you wish for! If you do all of that to change how clock time is scaled, then you'll have to change how maps and charts are scaled, too. The tick marks on the face of a watch and the tick marks on the grid of a chart go hand-in-hand, and fundamentally represent the same thing.

Then you'd have to completely reprogram GPS so that ships bringing iPhones from China don't get lost, so that teenagers don't become (more) psychotic. Argh!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2013, 03:20 AM
Pursuivant Pursuivant is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Hey is it possible to be able to toggle the icon distances to feet or meters?
+1. I thought that this was already possible, but I guess that I was wrong.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.