1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Approved Member

Default Have fixed mirrors on planes that have them

Can we please have the toggle mirrors control removed, the reason for this is mirrors can be switched on & off at will, the problem being when they are switched off the mirror plus its mount disappears unobscuring your mid to high 12 oclock view, & then you can turn it on & the mirror & mounting appears & you can check behind you.

I am aware that people like having the mirrors off & realisticly they would have been removed so you can give people a choise by having a setting applied in the conf ini file, lets say mirrors=1 is mirrors on& fixed in position & mirrors=0 is mirrors & mounting removed.

The current situation of you are flying full switch is ludicrous. If you wish to check this bind a key in your controls to toggle mirror & go for a flight in a mirror equipped plane & turn it on & off at will,you will find it has a big effect on your forward SAE.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Approved Member

Do you really think it provides that much of a better view up and forward than without? They are tiny little mirrors and it never seemed to matter much one way or the other.

The biggest reason for the toggle was it was a huge graphics hog at one point and old cars like my old GeForce 2 would die in the original IL-2 when a mirror was turned on. Not sure if it still causes folks FPS problems.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Approved Member

Personally for me yes it does, if you are in lag pursuit of a bandit, the mirror frame will obstruct your view & it does. The fact that you can switch a mirror on & then off is very arcade if one wishes to fly full switch.

If TD is willing to address realism issues, which they do, then surely this should be looked at, unless as you say Icefire it effects peoples ability to run the game (I have been in that situation myself)
Old 12-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Approved Member

I switch mirrors off when FPS sags and only for that reason. I don't find them much of an obstruction - on many ac, mirrors don't interfere with view anyway. Doesn't get my vote....
Old 12-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Taking away the "on-off" feature for mirrors makes no sense unless head tracking is fully implemented. Even if it were fully implemented, it would be yet another step in making head tracking mandatory.

The mirror gets in the way when you are on the offensive. It is also one of the tools for "checking your six". If you can't "move your head" to look around the mirror, you need to be able to turn it on and off.

Just my thought, but "realism" sometimes has to be sacrificed for hardware and software capabilities.

Splitter
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Approved Member

I would like to see this too as a "difficulty" option or in the conf.ini, set before you fly. There are many planes that had mirrors IRL that are missing them in game (P-51, Hellcat etc), and for those of us without TrackIR its useful for spotting someone on your six.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 PM

You know what would be a better request? How about enabling 6DOF for goodness sake. It's been around for some time and there are NO issues with it.

DT get on with your badself.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG27CaptStubing View Post
there are NO issues with it.
There are issues with it.
Mostly missing polygons and gun sight errors.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG27CaptStubing View Post
You know what would be a better request? How about enabling 6DOF for goodness sake. It's been around for some time and there are NO issues with it.

DT get on with your badself.
It is not the decision of DT that is preventing the implementation of 6DOF. It is the decision of Oleg. Oleg says no, so that's it.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 AM
Approved Member

Personal opinion but I find 6DOF works extremeley well but, if some prefer 2 DOF, the unwanted axis can be disabled in the tracking software - fairly ameniable solution that keeps all happy...........except a few possibly!