1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik > Daidalos Team discussions

Old 04-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Approved Member

My biggest issue with the AI at the moment is the AI's reluctance to strafe groundtargets unless they have dropped bombs or fired rockets first. When flying fighters or fighter-bombers against a ground target, say a column of vehicles or a train, and the only armament is your machineguns and/or cannons the AI doesn't seem to want to play ball. You order your comrades in your flight to attack the vehicles or the train and they answer "Roger" or something similar yet they don't actually attack. They only fly low over the target instead of strafing it. And if there are any kind of AA-protection they usually get themselfs shot down in the process. And this is very annoying!

I know others have mentioned this before but I want to lift this issue again. I would love the AI to be adjusted, if possible of course, so they will strafe ground targets when ordered to no matter if they have been armed with bombs or rockets earlier in the mission or not.

My second biggest issue is as so many others the far to accurate gunners on multicrew aircraft. They are freaking snipers at extreme distances!!! (They even put Simo Häyhä to shame, and he was the best sniper in the history of war! 500 - 742 kills within 105 days during the Winter War) It would be lovely if this "sniper skill" could be dialed down a bit.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperton View Post

As a result, a cautious British pilot over Kent will be more aggressive than his braveheart German adversary.
And both will be more aggressive at fight over the landmass then over the water...
Good ideas, I agree with everything.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdun1916 View Post

My second biggest issue is as so many others the far to accurate gunners on multicrew aircraft. They are freaking snipers at extreme distances!!! (They even put Simo Häyhä to shame, and he was the best sniper in the history of war! 500 - 742 kills within 105 days during the Winter War) It would be lovely if this "sniper skill" could be dialed down a bit.
I love to hunt bombers, offline and online. I learned to accept those uber snipers as another "feature" and I try to stay calm when another B-17 gunner kills the pilot of my interceptor during high head on attack (up to 1000 kmh relative speed). Try...stay...calm...
But what really annoys me is a lack of logic. ShVAK gunner freezing in open cockpit of MBR-2 (TB-3, etc.) looking through fogged glasses and aiming with primitive iron gunsight can be more precise than ball turret operator of B-17/B-24 or computer operator of B-29.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Approved Member

I made some comparative tests and my impression is that 'rookie' gunners in IL2 are better than 'average' gunners in CLOD. One must also take into consideration that damage boxes in IL2 are probably bigger and coarser and this way 'fatal' hits are more common.

Taking down a Blenheim or a Heinkel takes more hits in CLOD, for sure, but it's compensated by smoother controls and better aiming accuracy. A 40% hit ratio is something I could never achieve in IL2. My aiming is either shaky or I don't have the needed control authority in dogfight. The same applies to throttle and trimming. I always feel I applied too much or too less, while in CLOD I find them just OK. This is not only the different AI, but also the different flight physics that counts, I think, and CLOD with its thicker air feels more natural. I wish if IL2 could be made alike.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperton View Post
I made some comparative tests and my impression is that 'rookie' gunners in IL2 are better than 'average' gunners in CLOD. One must also take into consideration that damage boxes in IL2 are probably bigger and coarser and this way 'fatal' hits are more common.

Taking down a Blenheim or a Heinkel takes more hits in CLOD, for sure, but it's compensated by smoother controls and better aiming accuracy. A 40% hit ratio is something I could never achieve in IL2. My aiming is either shaky or I don't have the needed control authority in dogfight. The same applies to throttle and trimming. I always feel I applied too much or too less, while in CLOD I find them just OK. This is not only the different AI, but also the different flight physics that counts, I think, and CLOD with its thicker air feels more natural. I wish if IL2 could be made alike.
Interesting observations, thanks. But - taking physics model aside - can we really claim what is more "realistic"? Smoother controls of one airsim or shaky ones of another?
I have no experience in CLOD. But then I wonder how many players of CLOD and IL-2 have experience of real life dogfight.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlee View Post
But - taking physics model aside - can we really claim what is more "realistic"? Smoother controls of one airsim or shaky ones of another?
I have no experience in CLOD. But then I wonder how many players of CLOD and IL-2 have experience of real life dogfight.
I wrote 'natural', not 'realistic'. This is all about the feel, the illusion of reality. In IL2 I feel the need for a long stick to fly these planes correctly, while CLOD seems to be better optimized for short sticks. Another point at issue is the fine balance between throttle/thrust and air drag. A weak engine with little drag (IL2) give a different feel than a strong engine with strong air drag (CLOD). Strong drag also contributes to a better longitudinal stability and to less wobbling when aiming.

A related issue is torque. When speed is low and the stabilizers don't get enough airflow (typically on the ground, when taxiing or during takeoff), the torque effect is very strong in CLOD (and BoS); but once you get airborne and your speed increases, the stabilizers become more and more effective and minor throttle changes do not result in significant and sudden torque changes as they do in IL2. When you reduce throttle in CLOD (or BoS), the nose drops a bit, but there's no urgent need for applying rudder and aileron to re-adjust your aim, which are responsible for most of the wobbling experienced in IL2.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Approved Member

Interesting discussion about the feel of flying. I only have 30 minutes of flight in a piston powered airplane, so I guess I can't really comment on the effects of throttle and torque, but I have around 200 flights in gliders now (around 30 hours). In my opinion the flight model in CloD resembles the feel of flight better than Il-2 1946. It's difficult to explain, but I think that Il-2 1946 is not as smooth as CloD (and how a glider feels).

In my opinion by far the biggest difference in the flight models of Il-2 1946 and CloD is the handling on the ground. CloD is a lot more sensitive in that aspect and I think it feels better than Il-2 1946.

I like the flight models of DCS and Falcon BMS too. DCS depends on the module of course and I can only give my opinion about the stock planes, the Su-25 and TF-51 as I don't have any modules for DCS yet, but out of those two I think the SU-25 feels the most natural.

Regarding BoS: The planes in BoS are very sensitive (nothing wrong with that), but I think that they're far too wobbly and I feel that the stall characteristics are not realistic compared to what I have experienced in gliders. In a spin in a glider a wing drops and the plane kind of "flips over". However in BoS the "flipping over" action stops way too early I think. I think that the other simulators that I named do a better job at simulating a spin, including Il-2 1946.

Please bear in mind that I have not flown any of the planes in these simulators in real life so my opinion is probably subjective and influenced from flying gliders and I have not played Il-2 1946 in couple of months, so maybe I don't remember all characteristics exactly. I mainly fly CloD and Falcon BMS at the moment.

If you are insecure: use more bullets.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniël View Post
Interesting discussion about the feel of flying. I only have 30 minutes of flight in a piston powered airplane, so I guess I can't really comment on the effects of throttle and torque, but I have around 200 flights in gliders now (around 30 hours). In my opinion the flight model in CloD resembles the feel of flight better than Il-2 1946. It's difficult to explain, but I think that Il-2 1946 is not as smooth as CloD (and how a glider feels).
There are no gliders (besides AI) in IL-2 unfortunately. But if you attempt unpowered flight, does it feel natural for you? Probably Me 163 is good for such experiment.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Approved Member

As to the sensitivity issue: what controller do you have? Mine is a mediocre T Flight Hotas X, where I replaced the pots with Hall sensors. I positively know that the sensors produce a linear output between 1V and 4V, so that the output should be all linear between this range. Still, Thrustmaster’s firmware enforces a broad deadzone around 50%, so that it’s all the same what stick deflection you have, you get the same values from -9% stick deflection (relative to centre) to +9%. So what happens when you try to adjust your aim? You move your stick from -9% to +9% hastily, and consequentially you enter the registered zone with a value which is well beyond what is expected there.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Mine is a mediocre T Flight Hotas X,........... Thrustmaster’s firmware enforces a broad deadzone it’s all the same from -9% stick deflection (relative to centre) to +9%
I bought a T.Flight Hotas X but I gave up on it after a week due to the ~9% deadzone, I sold it and bought a T.Flight Hotas 4, on the recommendations of a hardware tester on the internet, Why Thrustmaster does not advertise the VAST superiority of the Hotas 4 over the Hotas X for flight sims is beyond me.

The T.Flight Hotas 4 has a tiny deadzone and I'm perfectly happy with it. The Hotas 4 even has a dedicated port to directly connect the T.Flight Rudder Pedals, and updateable firmware!