1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Urufu_Shinjiro Urufu_Shinjiro is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post

Does not have to be hard.
I know one game that used OpenAL for Mac port, and DX for WIndows.
OpenAL is a sound API. If you mean OpenGL then OpenGL and DirectX are completely different APIs and you would have to code your game twice, or use a DX wrapper like Il2 does, and you see how crappy il2 looks in dx.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
1. The Mac platform has very few Flight sim style games, so they have a potentially huge unexploited market.

2. Apple uses ATI or Nvidea chips in all its computers except the lowest end MacBook and MacBook Air. Even last 2 years of the tiny MacMini is using an Nvidia GeForce 9400M with 256 MiB of DDR3 SDRAM or currently NVIDIA GeForce 320M with 256MiB of DDR3 SDRAM

3. Mac's have been steadily gaining market-share and forecasts show sustained growth.

4. Historically it is much easier to support Apple computers then Windows because very well documented hardware/software (many companies have dozens of Windows support people, but only 1 or 2 for Mac).

5. iPhone/iPod/iPad success.

6. Windows is sooooooo 2000.

At the very least UBI is being smart by supporting a resurgent platform, and at best they could potential see large revenues from that market.


EDIT: Download is PC, found that on UBI site.
1. There is a huge unexploited market to sell freezers to eskimos, doesn't mean there's any money in it.

2. All those graphics parts are crap, I mean really crap, they would all struggle and choke to run Il2 with anything more than 1024x768 and 2x AA, let alone the beast that is going to be CoD.

3. Macs have been growing in market share, but the rate is comparable to Linux so they are not really gaining overall. And a growth from say 10% to 13% looks good on paper, but it still means that 87% of the worlds computer are not Macs.

4. It's easier to support Macs because there are so few of them.

5. That has nothing to do with computers.

6. Really....just...really?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Azimech's Avatar
Azimech Azimech is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Leerdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 428
Default

Previous post: +1.

I came from an underdog platform, the Amiga. Was wonderful 23 years ago. At the end of the nineties I switched to PC. Never looked back.

To have the idea that any IL2 variant or be it CoD, will ever be ported to mac is totally ludicrous. And rightly so. Macs are for DTP, music, video and nothing else.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-22-2011, 01:36 AM
Flying Pencil Flying Pencil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrunch View Post
Yeah, and if it was an actual native port and not just a release of the PC version with a wrapper like Cider, how many years after the original game was released did it come out?
Exactly 1 year later.

They originally tried Linux, but that one did not take at all.
So the took the same source code and did a compile for Mac OS X, that took off, and have had enough customers they kept support Mac for 9 years.

Mac OS X = Unix = Linux = HP (that is more then 90% the same)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Flying Pencil Flying Pencil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
Your living in a fantasy world. Predominant mac user is computer illiterate and has no interest in gaming. Every person I know who owned a Mac was a completly computer illiterate. Tell me how easy is it to upgrade a mac for cpu, ram and video card. And what does apple charge for said hardware?? And news today says anyone who brings in there iphone 4 for service is haveing the philips screws changed to secure pentalobe screws so they cant change there own batteries. Is this a company you want to support?? They make UBI look good!!
People who get Mac wants something that works.
Look how many "Windows for Dummies" and "Windows protection software" exist for that OS? And I only have to mention the "Virus of the Week for Windows".
The reason "mac user is computer illiterate " is simply because they are computer illiterate, period, and are sick and tired of crap that Microsoft (until recently, kind of).

Some of those sick and tried of MS crap switch to a flavor of Linux and Open Office (or such), but neither are well supported and is hard to get a fix if their is a problem, (if their was, MS would be out of business).

Google is taking customers away from MS, and Apple, but they also fully support Mac and the iPhone (even in competition with its Chrome and Android).

CoD (the other one), MoH, WoW, Halo, Civ, X-Plane, quite a lot of games are cross platform with full MMO support to say Mac lacks games is simply wrong.

Compare hardware specs of Dell/Alienware tower with Mac Pro and for about the same price you get the same hardware, and Dell is actually the more expensive of two.

It is true peripherals are lacking for the Mac, but that does stop them from being a game machine.


You have a closed mind, but the fact is, in 1998 every considered Apple was dead. Today (since 2010) they have a bigger market cap MS, only second to Exxon Mobile, so you cannot discount the possibility that Mac's will become a premier gaming platform like a PC. If you do then you are a fool.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Flying Pencil Flying Pencil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
OpenAL is a sound API. If you mean OpenGL then OpenGL and DirectX are completely different APIs and you would have to code your game twice, or use a DX wrapper like Il2 does, and you see how crappy il2 looks in dx.



1. There is a huge unexploited market to sell freezers to eskimos, doesn't mean there's any money in it.

2. All those graphics parts are crap, I mean really crap, they would all struggle and choke to run Il2 with anything more than 1024x768 and 2x AA, let alone the beast that is going to be CoD.

3. Macs have been growing in market share, but the rate is comparable to Linux so they are not really gaining overall. And a growth from say 10% to 13% looks good on paper, but it still means that 87% of the worlds computer are not Macs.

4. It's easier to support Macs because there are so few of them.

5. That has nothing to do with computers.

6. Really....just...really?
I meant GL, and yes they made two versions that was not excessively expensive (eventually they went all OpenGL and it worked fine).

You started good, but really...just...really, do you have waste your time on empty dribble after?

Last edited by Flying Pencil; 01-22-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 AM
mazex's Avatar
mazex mazex is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,342
Default

A Mac vs PC thread! Never thought that would come up here Anyhow - with the game being DirectX now and some shots from the MG office that indicated that part of the code is being written in C# it's a safe bet that there will be no Mac port...

Regarding the issue of Mac vs PC there are different points of view and it's only the computer illiterates that stubbornly take one side. True nerds realize the potential of both platforms... (this statement was not valid before Mac OS X )
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Meusli Meusli is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
People who get Mac wants something that works.
Look how many "Windows for Dummies" and "Windows protection software" exist for that OS? And I only have to mention the "Virus of the Week for Windows".
The reason "mac user is computer illiterate " is simply because they are computer illiterate, period, and are sick and tired of crap that Microsoft (until recently, kind of).

Some of those sick and tried of MS crap switch to a flavor of Linux and Open Office (or such), but neither are well supported and is hard to get a fix if their is a problem, (if their was, MS would be out of business).

Google is taking customers away from MS, and Apple, but they also fully support Mac and the iPhone (even in competition with its Chrome and Android).

CoD (the other one), MoH, WoW, Halo, Civ, X-Plane, quite a lot of games are cross platform with full MMO support to say Mac lacks games is simply wrong.

Compare hardware specs of Dell/Alienware tower with Mac Pro and for about the same price you get the same hardware, and Dell is actually the more expensive of two.

It is true peripherals are lacking for the Mac, but that does stop them from being a game machine.


You have a closed mind, but the fact is, in 1998 every considered Apple was dead. Today (since 2010) they have a bigger market cap MS, only second to Exxon Mobile, so you cannot discount the possibility that Mac's will become a premier gaming platform like a PC. If you do then you are a fool.
Wow, just wow. I do not have the time to respond to this but not only was he wrong so are you. It's so easy to stereotype against the other system but at the end of the day it's all pointless.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Flying Pencil Flying Pencil is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meusli View Post
Wow, just wow. I do not have the time to respond to this but not only was he wrong so are you. It's so easy to stereotype against the other system but at the end of the day it's all pointless.
When you have the time, please do tell.

I was a tech support professional first for a 2 year college, then a university with mix Windows (XP) and Mac (OS X, some OS 9) environment for a year. We had to be familiar with both virtues and vices of both platforms.

It was years ago and things change, but Windows is still not an easy platform to work with (conversely OS X is sometimes too simple, but for most that is non-issue).

Anyway, looking for your a more detailed reply.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Meusli Meusli is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 376
Default

OK here we go;

1) People who get Mac wants something that works. So everything Apple related just works while other companies produce broken stuff? So how do these other companies survive producing shoddy merchandise unless of course this statement is untrue. Also not everything Apple does just works.

2) There are tons of Windows for dummies books out there because there are tons more Windows users. That does not mean Apple escapes the dummies books though.

3) Sick and tired of MS crap? What crap is this and why would you switch to a unsupported operating system? Are we talking businesses here or home users?

4) At the moment Google is a search engine with fingers in a few other pies. Open Office is a good free product and there cloud stuff is exciting, but it is in no way a competitor to MS Office. There operating system is just about to be launched but is a massive unknown and will not likely to beat Windows any time soon.

5) Games on the MAC is where you are spot on, you only have to look at Steam to see people are taking the MAC as a gaming platform seriously.

6) Trying to compare the price of the most expensive PC manufacturer to Apple products is a bit disingenuous. There are tons of companies out there to buy from that are far cheaper than Apple.

This is not really an argument I like as they are quite pointless as nobody really wins them. All the platforms are cool in their own way and making this beauty MAC compatible is a good move I reckon. More players = more money for Oleg which is something we can all get behind.


ps Sorry if I come across as rude. I am not very eloquent with writing.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 PM
TheGrunch's Avatar
TheGrunch TheGrunch is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pencil View Post
Exactly 1 year later.

They originally tried Linux, but that one did not take at all.
So the took the same source code and did a compile for Mac OS X, that took off, and have had enough customers they kept support Mac for 9 years.

Mac OS X = Unix = Linux = HP (that is more then 90% the same)
And which was this game? Would you say it was graphically near the state of the art when it was released? Did it use a DX wrapper over OpenGL for Windows in the first place like IL-2 can, for example? I highlight "same source code" in particular because there is no physical way it could be the same source code for both DirectX and OpenGL.

I'm perfectly aware of the last sentence, but what's the total cost of ownership of a Linux system compared to a Mac? It's the cost of the components of the system at the cheapest price you can find them, that's all, not about 2x the cost of some extremely poor components that you can't choose for yourself. I don't have any problems with OS X, it just annoys me that I'd have to use their horrible hardware to use it. It's actually something that Microsoft would have been prosecuted for by now, to be honest, it's fairly anti-competitive using a check to make sure that your OS is installed on your own hardware and no others, especially since there's now no physical reason you shouldn't install OS X on other hardware.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.