1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
Why would anyone still buy a 3d screen which needs glasses?
The no glasses technology is just around the corner, I'll rather wait another 12 months or so.
Just so there's no misunderstanding, he bought a projector that's capable of running at the 120Hz that decent 3D requires (but which can still show a normal image), software to convert his input signal to 3D, and glasses to then view that projected image. That's not quite the same as a 3D screen which needs glasses. And if there really is a no-glasses technology just a few months away (links?), then to project it at a 100" size, it will either be a software solution (in which case the OP has the hardware side of it already covered) or it will be a hardware solution that will be a lot more expensive than what the OP's using ($80, not counting the multi-use projector, computer system etc).

That all said, your point is clear, you'd rather not use a 3D system that requires glasses. Fair enough.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 PM

Les, I did a lot of searching and reading about 3D before I got Acer.
1080p 3D projector is roughly 10 times more expensive and HDMI cable would be able to pump only movies at 3D 1080p and 24 fps (essentially 1080p/24 X2 for each eye)(using3:2 pulldown option) and if you want to play games in 3D, you need 1080X60 times 2 (each eye) which even 5000 bucks projector can't do. Even if it could using Display Port (which it doesn't) then another consideration is
videocard with new COD, think about it, 1920X1080(resolution)X60(fps)X2(each eye gets his own picture) that is twice more then 1280X720X60X2 which is roughly the same load on videcard as it would do at flat 1920X1080.
PS. I was sceptic of 1280X720 but let me tell you in 3D each eye gets 1 mil pixels while in 2D you get 2million pixels for both eyes. Don't know how to explain but that 3D dimension gives me more immersion then anything that I have seen today in 2d.
Friends came over and watched AVatar and they were very excited. Gran Turismo in 3D on PS3 looks absolutely gorgeous, you do feel how far that corner is and when to start braking.
Again, i feel for those who has medical problems watching 3D.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Approved Member

I hope nothing's getting lost in translation here.

I'm not a sceptic of 1280x720, as I've seen something very similar, and I have no doubt it looks great, as long as you don't get closer than about 4 feet to the screen when it's projected at about 100" diagonal, which you wouldn't do anyway under normal circumstances.

It's just that I did want to get that close to the screen, so as to have the in-game image 1:1 scale, as if I could just reach out and touch the objects in it, while having a lot of my peripheral vision filled with the rest of the screen. And what I found was, the resolutions you need to do that, while still getting a sharp well-defined image, would require using projectors that cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars and which aren't exactly designed for home use. Which is to say, I want the impossible.

It's not to say 1280x720 projected at 100" and viewed from 6-8 feet away, doesn't look good or isn't immersive, even in 2D. It is. And if anyone ever gets the chance to check it out, I can recommend doing so.

And more than that, if you can now buy a projector for under $500 that will let you do that, well...

In regards to 3D home projection, I haven't done any research into it before now. I didn't even know there were 120Hz capable projectors. But after what you've said and from what I've since read, I can see you Acer H5360 users are onto something there with that.

Incidentally, your mentioning the 3D being able to help you judge the distance of corners in Grand Turismo, reminds me of something else about normal 2D gaming. There have been a few times over the years when I've been playing a game and due to the way the in-game world is represented by what is basically 2D artwork, it's been practically impossible to judge the distance between in-game objects. Sometimes the artwork will combine or overlap in such a way that there's just no way of knowing where one object begins and the other one ends, or even if they're separate objects. Viewing the scene in 3D in those cases would eliminate that problem altogether. Depending how it's implemented of course. Not making any real point there, just thinking out loud.

Anyway, it does look like technology has finally reached the point where it's more affordable now to project games and movies and TV(?) at home, at an acceptable resolution, and in 3D as well. Doing so isn't a high priority for me right now, but it's good to know it's an option.

Have fun with it.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtopor View Post
Les, I did a lot of searching and reading about 3D before I got Acer. [...] Don't know how to explain but that 3D dimension gives me more immersion then anything that I have seen today in 2d.
Friends came over and watched AVatar and they were very excited. Gran Turismo in 3D on PS3 looks absolutely gorgeous, you do feel how far that corner is and when to start braking.
Again, i feel for those who has medical problems watching 3D.
I read the whole topic. Interesting.

1. It should not be possible to get depth perception through these methods when viewing objects 10+ meters away in the game world. In reality there is no such sensation. Could work only if exaggerated (making the world look smaller than it really is). Anything inside an aircraft cockpit should stand out nicely however.

2. With all the hassle of these displays taking up huge space, it makes me think about using pricy bulky inconvenient speakers instead of head mounted (headphones) for sound. Surely some kind of high resolution, large head mounted displays must become available at some point soon. Been waiting forever. They would be very easy to work with and would work PERFECTLY with our typical TrackIR.

3. I have never - ever - been able to see anything except 'double image' when using any kind of 3D illusion. Both images and movies. I have crappier vision on one of my eyes which is probably the reason. The depth perception is still good but not as good as some of you people. Since I can't see this effect in reality much I don't regret it in gaming either. I simply have no idea what I am missing and don't have to try to get such a system. I feel lucky in that respect. I have a TrackIR 5 and I just could never go back to not using headtracking. Before I tried, I had no idea how awesome it was. If someone can't use it, I would pity them and think "They don't know what they are missing".
Old 03-12-2011, 03:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
It's just that I did want to get that close to the screen, so as to have the in-game image 1:1 scale, as if I could just reach out and touch the objects in it, while having a lot of my peripheral vision filled with the rest of the screen. Which is to say, I want the impossible.
What you seek for has a name: The Holodeck of the USS Enterprise.

I actually misunderstood Shtopor as I was talking about 3d displays.(TV, tablet etc.)
Check out Cbit news for more info on that.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkOwl View Post
...It should not be possible to get depth perception through these methods when viewing objects 10+ meters away in the game world...

...Surely some kind of high resolution, large head mounted displays must become available at some point soon...

...I have never - ever - been able to see anything except 'double image' when using any kind of 3D illusion. Both images and movies...
It's my understanding too that, for the reasons you mentioned, a combat flight sim wouldn't be best vehicle for showing off 3D effects, though I'm sure it would have it's moments.

There are a couple of technologies in development that could be applied to things like head mounted displays. OLED's (Organic Light Emitting Diodes) is one. There's at least one other I've seen that comes in a similar bendy film-type form, and which doesn't require a backlight for illumination. Not sure, beyond the obvious, what's holding up the development there.

I too could never come to terms with the blurry double-imaging that other people didn't seem to mind when viewing 3D illusions. That all seems to be gone now though, based on what I experienced when watching 'Avatar' at the movies in 3D. I'm assuming that's the same or a similar technology to what Shtopor is using at home. If that's the case, then there's no blurriness, flickering or discolouration involved.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss View Post
What you seek for has a name: The Holodeck of the USS Enterprise.

I actually misunderstood Shtopor as I was talking about 3d displays.(TV, tablet etc.)
Check out Cbit news for more info on that.
That Holodeck is going to be pretty damn crowded if and when it finally becomes real. So many people waiting for that.

As for the TV, tablet type 3D displays, I think most people agree they have to be glasses free or they're not going anywhere. The glasses free ones that have been shown so far aren't that impressive either apparently. Partly because, as Shtopor mentioned, you have to have your image over a certain size before you overcome the 'looking into a fish-tank' effect, which is, to put it another way, like watching a moving diorama, a box with little models in it depicting some scene. You'd either have to be projecting a big image, or be using some kind of VR goggle type arrangement to get over that, and to make 3D worthwhile, in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Question Please advice

whether at this moment the game runs in 3D? I wonder about buying a monitor with 120Hz 3D glasses NVIDIA Delivers

Please advice
Old 07-14-2011, 12:42 PM

I had il2 working fine in stereoscopic, makes flying the bf109 GREAT fun because you can see down the sight with your right eye (I have no TIR). Unfortunately I was just testing it out as I don't have a 3d monitor, so I had il2 coming up twice on my screen, once on the left and once on the right, and had to cross my eyes to see 3d... I was ok with that.

What I was not so Ok with is the fact that the damn program I was using was only a 2 week trial
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Approved Member

This seems like a great solution and I hope it is as good as it sounds. But, I think I'll hold off, until I know for sure this all works with my TrackIR5. I wouldn't be willing to give that up for 3D.

binky9
Intel i7 3.4ghz Processor
GTX 780 Graphics Card OC
24GB Ram
Track IR5
50" LG HDMI LED 1920x1080 60hrz
MS FFB2 Stick
CH Pedals
Saitek Throttle/Prop/Mixture and Trim wheel
Thrustmaster MFDs

League City, TX