1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Space Communist Space Communist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
the only thing was a bit odd (and i noticed it the first time this vid was shown) was the Rev dial in the spitfire cockpit... why was it oscillating so violently? that cant be right.
The tachometers (and most of the instruments really) in many real aircraft do exactly that. I was actually wondering if they would include that; nice touch.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:10 AM
Blackdog_kt Blackdog_kt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
I really like the idea of having groups of AI controlled planes that have objectives of their own... I always used to get tired of pure fighter servers.. only the one or two people would decide to take a bomber up to try and bomb the oppositions airbase...

this way we can have something more of a realistic scenario in our fighter servers beside just being 109s vs spits.

-----

the only thing was a bit odd (and i noticed it the first time this vid was shown) was the Rev dial in the spitfire cockpit... why was it oscillating so violently? that cant be right.
My guess is that the moment you jump into a previously AI aircraft to take control or even just to view the action from the AI's cockpit, it switches from modeling the mechanic stuff under the hood to modeling the entire thing including instruments. When the player is not in the cockpit of that particular aircraft there is no reason to simulate the cockpit instruments, only the engine working, FM and DM. However, the moment we jump in the cockpit of the AI aircraft the instruments are, let's say, "plugged in" to the rest of the already working airframe.

Assuming that the instruments and needles are 3d, exhibit weight and inertia properties and they are mechanically linked to their sensors in a similar way to how they worked in reality, this is like holding an RPM indicator on my hand and suddenly linking it to the appropriate outlet of an already working Merlin engine: the needle will jolt and jump up missing the actual read out due to the violence of the original movement and inertia, then oscillate back and forth for a while until it stabilizes.

That's the best explanation i can think off. I've seen similar things happen with some FSX add-ons that model instruments in a similar manner on a friend's PC. He's got the A2A P-47 and the instruments and needles jolt all over the place when you start the engine, because they have simulated how each one is connected and they go from an off state to a working state within a few seconds. Plus, if the engine is running rough then the engine driven vacuum pumps are also, it takes time for the vacuum to form and all your gyro instruments and artificial horizon take time to stabilize while the vacuum pressure builds up.

What we see in this CoD video is very similar to that, but with an engine already running almost flat out due to the aircraft being already flown by the AI at the moment we decide to jump in the cockpit and the game "connects" the instruments to the already operating subsystems of the airframe.

As for the remaining, smaller oscillation, we know that prop RPM is a direct function of prop angle of attack, which is not exactly steady during maneuvers and airspeed changes. The prop governor does keep the RPM where the pilot wants it (if he's using a constant speed prop like in the Spit) but it's not an instantaneous effect so i guess there's a bit of "lag" in how fast the prop angle can be manipulated, with the RPM changing slightly as a result.


As for the actual contents of the video, the interviewer is either poking fun or totally disconnected with flight simming, kill streaks and bonus items?
On the other hand, the fact that they included options to cater to the new guy (that the rest of us can thankfully turn off ) means more people will try it out. I don't harbor an illusion that the majority of such players will try to learn how to fly with realistic difficulty settings, or even stick around for that matter, but every little bit helps and the "take control of already flying AI aircraft to stay in the action" feature will attract action oriented players too, especially if the server is using relaxed difficulty settings.

That same feature can be useful for non-arcade servers too. We currently have a theater where the majority of missions were short hops across the channel, but 3-4 years in the future our hardware might be able to run a 1:1 scale map of most of western Europe. Can you say "western front strategic bombing campaign without having to fly for 7 hours straight?"
If this could be coupled in the future with a custom-made lobby to insert our own AI flights into the mix, the possibilities would be endless.

Talk with your buddies on teamspeak, arrange a time that suits everyone and decide to meet up for some online fun the next day. Calculate time,airspeed and distances (or simpler: place a sample flight in the FMB with your chosen waypoints and read the arrival times for each waypoint for your selected airspeed/altitude), then set up a raid of your own on the server (maybe add a password or nickname association too, so that other players don't hijack your bomber )
You'll be at work and your B-17 will be taxiing to take-off. As you exit the office and start driving home the formation is circling the field to assemble. By the time you're back home, put the kids to bed, talked to the wife and grabbed something to eat, your bomber is approaching occupied Europe. You fire up the game, join the server, jump in your previously-AI bomber and take control, meet your buddies and fly the interesting part of the mission.


Sure i'm getting ahead of myself here, but i've been speculating about such a feature for ages and it's exactly what they implemented. This is going to be awesome, especially a few months down the line when the community will be up to speed and able to tinker with things thanks to the SDK release.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
It's now a race to see if any one of the other moderators can put a lock on this thread before Blackdog can finish his fourteen paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Only bad things will be commented. Good things are expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
War is usually the massacre of young people that don't know each other for the sake of old people who don't fight and know each other.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 AM
Space Communist Space Communist is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 194
Default

Yeah the interviewer was hilariously clueless. "7 kill streak and you get a big flying fortress that like blows everybody off the map!"

yes because the bigger and slower the plane the more dangerous, right?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Royraiden Royraiden is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 531
Default

March 30th internationally?? More confusion.Anyways am I the only one loving the fact that every single bullet hit produces a flash???
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-24-2011, 04:02 AM
Blackdog_kt Blackdog_kt is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,711
Default

I don't know if that's due to the ammunition used or not, but yes, it was very fancy looking. For all we know the guy could be rolling with a full load-out of DeWilde rounds.

I think i'm going to do away with tracers for machine guns too, not because i don't like them (i do a lot) but to maintain the surprise factor.

Flying for the RAF means going mostly against big targets anyway, against 109s the fact that you have 8 rapid firing machine guns and it's a smaller, easier to damage aircraft will even things out.

I think it could work for German aircraft as well. I'm thinking of not using tracers on the machine guns to maintain surprise and line up the shots (after all, the 109 and 110 have a notoriously big magazine for the small guns), but keep the cannon tracers to help with their funky trajectories when finishing the bandit. After all, i do like the smoke trails a lot
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
It's now a race to see if any one of the other moderators can put a lock on this thread before Blackdog can finish his fourteen paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo'bar View Post
Only bad things will be commented. Good things are expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post
War is usually the massacre of young people that don't know each other for the sake of old people who don't fight and know each other.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-24-2011, 04:04 AM
diveplane diveplane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECV56_LeChuck View Post
No, they'll not include realistic maps. You can fly in, for example: "Pizza map",
"Pacman map" and so on.
noobie and troll maps for you
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 AM
*Buzzsaw* *Buzzsaw* is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
March 30th internationally?? More confusion.Anyways am I the only one loving the fact that every single bullet hit produces a flash???
Those flashes are a function of the fact the British .303's are API, (armour piercing inciendary) and the flash is a function of 0.5 grams of SR 365 (a composition including barium nitrate on the tip of the bullet exploding on contact. It's designed to set off fires.

The German 7.92 mm MG rounds were not API, just regular AP, so you won't see flashes when they hit. The German 20mm will of course, explode with a large flash on contact, due to the fact they are hollow and packed with explosive.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 03-24-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 AM
Jg2001_Rasputin Jg2001_Rasputin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 43
Default

LOL Luthier has written of 23975 planes
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 AM
wannabetheace wannabetheace is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Korea
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jg2001_Rasputin View Post
LOL Luthier has written of 23975 planes
1+
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-24-2011, 05:57 AM
furbs's Avatar
furbs furbs is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,037
Default

I cant remember, was there a option for 303 rounds with just smoke trails?
__________________
Furbs, Tree and Falstaff...The COD killers...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 PM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.