1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiloMorai View Post
Consider the 'dot' to be unfriendly and take appropriate action until you are sure of its ID.
This, but also tracer colour is an excellent give away when entering the combat area, also after many hours, you can begin to recognise the LOD stages of various plane types, some such as the 109 are instantly recognisable.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Approved Member

S!

+1 to everything said before, and about the tracer colors:

Russian:
MGs: Bright green
Cannon: White

British:
MGs: Red
Cannon: Yellow

German:
MGs:
7,9mm: Red
13mm: Blue
Cannon:
20mm:Cyan
30mm: Yellow
(These come in combinations of 7,9mm+20mm / 13mm+20mm / 13mm+30mm, so no 7,9mm(red)+30mm(yellow) together).

US:
MGs (.50cal): Pink(ish)

Japan:
MGs: Red
Cannon: Yellow

So, looking at this, at least German, US and Russian tracers should always stand out from the rest. And since the brits and japanese rarely have fights online, it's pretty easy to know who is who, if they happen to fire that is
AMD 1055T Hexacore@3,4GHz - 2x4GB 1600MHz DDR3 - ATI 6950 2GB, flashed to 6970 shaders - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - 30" LG W3000H (2560x1600) - TM Warthog Stick + Cougar Throttle - wooden DIY pedals with Hall sensor - FreeTrack

Last edited by Untamo; 07-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Approved Member

Just reminded myself of a situation related to recognition. I was flying a campaign (a German one, the Eastern Front, it was late at that time, perhaps eastern Poland) on a Bf 109, had a G-10 I believe. So we were in a dogfight which was spread and I noticed a dot. I approached it and recognized a Yak (probably, I don't remember precisely). I came close, very close (this is why I had 400+ kills in the end of the whole campaign) and fired an extremely short burst, maybe 5-10 rounds (2 MGs and an MK 108 ). The fighter's tail came off and its fuel tank went ablaze. I was maybe 30-20 meters away, looking closely. And then... 2 crosses... On the wings... I just shot down my number 6 (I was number 1). And now, after some 2 years, I still remember that event. The pilot was slightly wounded and bailed out on our side of the front and I made myself a 48 break.
Just wanted to share the tale.

Last edited by Alien; 07-25-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 PM

A Number Six? That would be too bad.

Now a Number Three, Five, or Seven would have deserved it. Those guys are always stealing my kills.

cheers

horseback
Old 07-30-2013, 03:43 AM
Approved Member

WUD pointed out a lot of common sense things.

You know where your base, the enemies base and the front line is, you know what everyone is trying to accomplish and where they are coming from and where they are going. If you get close enough to actually interact with them, then you will be close enough to tell the aircraft by it's shape.

Look at what the AA is shooting at and who's AA it is, learn the tracers, all common sense.

Of course we are talking about flying Full Real, or hard settings. If you are flying on an easier server with any icons at all then you don't need to be reading this thread.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM

At dot distance: Location, behaviour.
At LOD range: Shape, color.
Closeup: Markings and features.

Sometimes I still find myself aborting chases when I get to step 3. And yes, FF still happens, even if very rarely nowadays.

Online you should take great care, all pilots don't take FF as lightly as I do I've learned...
Old 07-31-2013, 06:13 PM
Approved Member

When they start shooting at me, they might be enemies.