1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Morpheus View Post
Yeah thanks for the link to those missions, they're really helpful.

Still can't do that land on the "carrier" on grass mission properly - that seems harder than an actual carrier landing.

Take offs from carriers are actually really easy once you remember to a) pull the stick back a bit when your tail lifts otherwise the nose digs in b) steer with the rudder to avoid dropping off the side, and c) when you leave the carrier deck stay level, raise the landing gear ASAP and put flaps to combat, otherwise you get what I always get with Toque/Gyro effects on - a barrel roll off the end of the carrier deck into the drink!

I tried it last night with the F4U and it's just as easy in that as it is in the SBD.

Really wish there was a setting in QMB to take off from a Carrier though.

Also just now, I made an almost perfect landing on the Lexington in the SFTF #11 practice mission. I've been doing carrier landings the last couple of days but if I do manage to land I usually either end up towards the front of the carrier having come in too hot or I dig the nose in, presumably because I'm going to slow to pull the nose up enough to flare, and whilst I would survive the latter I'd still call it a crash because the plane is wrecked.

Either that or I end up doing what I did last night which is come in way too hot (even at 100mph!) and/or way too low (50ft low (deck level) and about 50-100ft behind the deck) and have to throttle up and try to climb and circle again. I had to go around 3 times on 1 practice run last night, and I still ended up ditching in the sea!!

Biggest problem besides getting the speed vs altitude drop right (I quite often find I drop too low too soon) is visibility of the deck of the carrier, as you get really close it's guesswork as to where the deck is - last night I did a practice run and I thought I was on the deck but I was actually left of it and I ended up drifting down beside the ship and into the water.

I think I may have to find out which keys set the seat height so that I can raise it - if I can find a suitable pair of keys on my keyboard that aren't in use.

It also doesn't help that my Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS X has a bit of a deadzone that I can't dial out (despite trying everything I've read on the web about it) - it's mostly a problem on the left/right axis, not so much the up/down axis. Think I need to save up for a better stick, a Saitek X45 or X52 or something.

Anyhow here's that perfect landing I mentioned -

Use the Scramble option with the Midway or the Midway1 QMB maps and you should start on a carrier. If you don't use any enemy planes you should be able to practice taking off from a carrier and landing on it as much as you want and not have to worry about getting bounced by enemy planes.

Wheels

Last edited by wheelsup_cavu; 08-01-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: I remebered that the Hawaii map does not use carriers for the Scramble option so I removed that map from the list in my post.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig1207 View Post

Try coming in at a steeper angle. I'm coming in pretty steep, and I can see the deck the whole way.

Took off and landed a Corsair today
Yeah it's a matter of working out how to do that, I've tried it but I am either going too fast, I'm too high when I'm over the carrier or I end up belly flopping it (as I said the nose digs in).

Trial and error I guess. Yesterday I did 3 "reasonable" carrier landings in a row, and I managed to land a Corsair myself in a campaign mission (although it was my Okinawa campaign with my custom "medium" difficulty settings).

Visibility depends on the aircraft though in the Corsair there's little in the way of your view, but in the SBD that gunsight (and whatever else it's a sight for) gets in the way and you can't raise the seat up it seems. Visibility is much better in the Corsair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu View Post
Use the Scramble option with the Midway or the Midway1 QMB maps and you should start on a carrier. If you don't use any enemy planes you should be able to practice taking off from a carrier and landing on it as much as you want and not have to worry about getting bounced by enemy planes.

Wheels
Ah cool, I thought Midway would be like the Pacific Islands base where you start on the ground, although come to think of it I tried Midway the other day and I don't recall having to take off/land from/on a Carrier, it was a land based scramble.

I'll go back and have a look though.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Morpheus View Post
Ah cool, I thought Midway would be like the Pacific Islands base where you start on the ground, although come to think of it I tried Midway the other day and I don't recall having to take off/land from/on a Carrier, it was a land based scramble.

I'll go back and have a look though.
Use the Midway map if you want to take off from a Japanese Aircraft Carrier.
You will need to be flying for the Axis side to get the carrier takeoff option when you use the Scramble feature.
There are no limitations on the aircraft that you can attempt to fly off of the Japanese Aircraft carrier other than it must be a player flyable plane.

Use the Midway1 (Midway One) map if you want to take off from an American Aircraft Carrier.
You will need to be flying for the Allied side to get the carrier takeoff option when you use the Scramble feature.
There are no limitations on the aircraft that you can attempt to fly off of the American Aircraft carrier other than it must be a player flyable plane.

I am fairly certain I used multiple carriers so there should be some randomness to the carriers that you use when you start a new QMB session.

Wheels
Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Approved Member

Ah that explains it. I was on the US side when I tried Midway, I'll try Midway1 instead then.

Thanks.