1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > King's Bounty > King's Bounty: The Legend > Mods

Mods Everything about mods

Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Approved Member

Post Here's the spirit experience detailed info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatt_Shade View Post
Yea, i had version from February , and there was source of problem for devatron, and lvlup missing lines for death spirit
Ok, glad you got that sorted out!

Quote:
And now remembered this :
- did you change something in quest part where you exchange dragonfly wings for magic crystals in Greenworth, in village near castle. In old game was 3 wings for 1 crystal, and now i get 3 crystals for 1 wing.
Yep, I sure did - now you can get rid of all your dragonfly wings and it helps get you more crystals, which you still won't have enough of anyway.

Quote:
- do you know where is formula for spirit exp gain in battles? I`m testing lvlup for some skills on start with this lineup 2x1 inquisitor - rage generators, 2x1 dryad - enemy controlling (got them random on game start), 1x1 marauder - gold digging unit, (i got gift spell early so i use search on every dead unit, and with weak dryad plant summons i`m 8lvl hero, with 350k gold in Greenworth/Verlon forest My total army leadership is 270, and when i battle enemy that are marked as invincible and have total leadership of 2000+ i use rage spirits all time and keep whole enemy army asleep and kill stacks 1by1. Even though enemy is 10x stronger leadership wise and my rage skills exp gain should be nominal value from .atom file x10. But i get only nominal value listed after each rage skill use. Any idea where/how to change this?
Yah, Dryads are very powerful vs non-mind immune level 1-3 units, especially early in the game.

As far as the spirit experience gain, it is all done internally. The only thing that can be done is to scale the base spirit experience, which you see in their ATOM's or increase the sp_addexp_spirit counter via items / skills. If you look at SPIRITS_COMMON.LUA you'll see the function spirit_after_hit where it computes the base spirit experience from the spirit's ATOM (this is exp_add) and then modifies it with sp_addexp_spirit (this is exp_bonus) and then it uses the Attack library function add_exp to take the exp_add * exp_bonus and determine internally what the actual experience rise is.

The internal spirit experience gain formula is listed in the King's Bounty user manual, which can be downloaded somewhere here on the forum. I implemented this formula (and this is the exact same formula you see in CW for the spirit experience during battle), but found that it doesn't quite give you the same experience from this formula so there's something going on internally that is slightly different than what is described. That is why you see that I list an experience range during combat because I don't know exactly what the add_exp Attack library function is doing in the C++ code. Some of this variability is also related to whether you are using a "static" versus "dynamic" spirit ability. Static abilities are ones that don't do any damage while dynamic abilities are ones where you do. Since the experience gain formula factors in unit deaths when using it I can't know beforehand (except maybe for mass damage abilities) how much damage you're going to do. So for static abilities I should know how much experience you should get, but found that it could be off by 1, hence the range (i.e. 4-5 experience) for even static abilities.

Well, anyway, that's probably too much information, but that's what's going on there.

Matt

/C\/C\
Old 05-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Approved Member

Hello. Thanks for the great mod. I just want to share some impressions.
The good part:
-the babies are a really good idea. Now it's actually good to have babies.Before I always used the slots for artifacts.
-the wife companions give really good bonuses and you can try the game with a different approach. Before the good wifes were just 2 or 3.
-many changes add a different experience
the bad part:
-The spirits are way too powerful. I don't know if thats normal ,but my evil shoal did 900-1100 dmg at lvl 4.
-Generally I found the game very very easy and got bored at some point,no real challenge.
I even played harder then you intended. I have changed the impossible difficulty to 300% and the bosses to 500% and also the money income from 0.6 to 0.4 . But nevertheless it was very easy. Killing the Turtle with 10 000 hit points was very easy. The idea for difficulty changes I've got,because previously I played a russian mod called : "grandmaster" - it is really a big challenge . Also the spells in your mod are with really high prices ,but there are so many that can be found and sold that it just makes aquiring money faster.
Some bugs I encountered :
-The werewolf hero in Darion crashed always my game, I had to edit him and remove his spells in order to finish this quest. He had 3 spells,I don't know which is responsible for the crashing.
-When my hero is in a castle and I have 5 armies and click an army in the garrison ,it just vanishes, then I discovered it was added in my reserve slot,but I haven't access to it yet.
I stopped playing after clearing the Pirate Islands. Maybe later the game will be more difficult , if it is please share
Thanks one more time for the mod.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Approved Member

Hi jorko80
First of glad you joined this group in HoMM3 experience.
As for your notations :
- Spirits - you had luck with random upgrading Sleem, with 4 skills, and many more lvls for each (max spirit lvl is 48 now) it hard to get lvlup choices you want/need. best worst thing in this game is randomness and you had good pick this time, and next time you could have horrible lvlup choice item/unit distribution and so on. Only thing i can say is that it changes throughout game.
- I agree in this mod, start is rather easy, even on impossible for those with a bit more experience in KB series. Money never was much of a problem in this game, so higher price of spells is OK. Changing enemy army and bosses early might be fun, but later you`ll have very hard time, because with further location all enemy units get % bonuses for their stats : more hp, more att/def/speed ... And resistances so higher dmg for rage spirits will be welcome in late Hadar, elven/undead lands and demon realm. For me hardest challenges in this mod are enemy heroes, because Mat made them so they give their units bonuses same as you with skills/items. Expl : enemy hero with highest attribute intellect will have higher magic and cast 2 spells per turn, for 2/4/6 turns in battle depending on hero lvl. Those who have intellect above 30 will cast 3 spells/turn. Enemy with highest attack will lower your unit initiative/speed in first 2 turns and give crit% to their units(i`m not sure about this), and high defense hero will give more resistance to his units, or lower you own units. You have time to get to Sonya in elven islands , but she have high intellect, and defense so she lowers you units magic resistance -40% , and cast 3rd lvl lightning spell 2 time/turn with devastating effects to your troops (Mat added bonuses to spells shock effect with working +turns with every 15 intellect , i say working because this didnt apply in original game settings). So trust me, later in game normal enemy stacks will be just something to try new tactics, but real fights wil be with enemy heroes. All up to dwarf lands are rather easy , but elven/undead/demon land heroes are horrible on impossible difficulty lvl

For bugs, i hope Mat will check what problem is, i didnt encounter that with werewolf hero. Just go through dwarf areas, and you`ll have much more fun after that
Old 05-16-2013, 06:56 PM
Approved Member

Smile Great Comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorko80 View Post
Hello. Thanks for the great mod. I just want to share some impressions.
Thanks!

By the way, which version are you playing? V2013-03-18?

Quote:
The good part:
-the babies are a really good idea. Now it's actually good to have babies.Before I always used the slots for artifacts.
-the wife companions give really good bonuses and you can try the game with a different approach. Before the good wifes were just 2 or 3.
-many changes add a different experience
I worked a lot on this and am currently working on this part for my AP / CW version of the mod. I'm taking a slightly different take this time around, but I think it will greatly add to the flavor of the game like it has done here with TL.

Quote:
the bad part:
-The spirits are way too powerful. I don't know if thats normal ,but my evil shoal did 900-1100 dmg at lvl 4.
Well, one of the issues that I had with the original game was that the spirit abilities were too low in power. So I bumped up their abilities so that you have a good rise in their damage, but I did it so that it was in line with what you might be doing damage-wise with your units and spells at that point in the game.

I also did my best to make each spirit ability useful. I think you'll find that they are all pretty useful now. The toughest one to make useful was Poison Cloud, but I think I got it such that you can do some serious damage with it if you decide to level it up.

Can you do me a favor and post a screenie of your hero screen at a certain point (or points) in the game so that I can get a feel for what your army lineup was, etc.? Maybe you can also tell me which spells you were using a lot, general strategies, etc.

Quote:
-Generally I found the game very very easy and got bored at some point,no real challenge.
Well, I'm sorry to hear that - can you go into more detail as to how it was too easy and boring?

For example, do you skip battles and save fights for later so that you can get easy victories for tallying victory counters for items. Or do you clear an area as you get to it. Do you go into each battle with full rage, etc.

Quote:
I even played harder then you intended. I have changed the impossible difficulty to 300% and the bosses to 500% and also the money income from 0.6 to 0.4 . But nevertheless it was very easy. Killing the Turtle with 10 000 hit points was very easy.
Well, I don't think the Turtle is supposed to be that hard and once you survive its area of effect attack without taking losses you can pretty much finish it off no matter how many hitpoints it has (well at least until you run out of mana). Did you experience the rage / mana gain decreasing effects, yet as the combat goes longer?

By the way, I did not do anything to change the boss battles, they were left alone. So I don't think you'll see much difference from the Kraken and Spider, either.

Have you tried any item suppression fights, yet? You should note that they are more challenging.

Quote:
The idea for difficulty changes I've got,because previously I played a russian mod called : "grandmaster" - it is really a big challenge . Also the spells in your mod are with really high prices ,but there are so many that can be found and sold that it just makes aquiring money faster.
This is certainly true, and you can buy lots of stuff early if you sell early, but it may make sense to not sell those spells until you get your trade skill up to level 3 since you'll probably want more money for later...

Quote:
Some bugs I encountered :
-The werewolf hero in Darion crashed always my game, I had to edit him and remove his spells in order to finish this quest. He had 3 spells,I don't know which is responsible for the crashing.
Okay - I will look into this problem and see if I can find what is crashing the game. Also, if memory serves, I may have fixed this in a recent update if you're not using the latest version.

Quote:
-When my hero is in a castle and I have 5 armies and click an army in the garrison ,it just vanishes, then I discovered it was added in my reserve slot,but I haven't access to it yet.
Hmmm... I don't think I've seen this problem, but I've had a problem where I'm in the castle screen and it will stop showing me the item hints. I wonder if this is related...

If I reload from the autosave when you enter the castle it is okay. I'll see if I can recreate the army garrison problem you're having and try my best to fix it. The item hint problem I've only seen twice in my entire play-through and so I haven't been able to track it down.

Once again, your version of the mod here will be helpful...

Some of this may be related to the changes I made to some of the *.LOC files so I'll try to track these down, but they're tough to repeat so it makes it really hard for me to fix them.

Quote:
I stopped playing after clearing the Pirate Islands. Maybe later the game will be more difficult , if it is please share
Thanks one more time for the mod.
Can you do me a favor and keep playing? I'd like to hear if it gets difficult at any stage for you.

Plus, you'll have to share with me some of your strategies for why it is so easy early. Which class are you playing? Any opinion on the skill tree changes? It sounds like you're playing on impossible.

Did you try to fight any heroes too early in the game and lose to them? There are plenty of heroes that should be really challenging early in the game, so I'm guessing you bypassed them until you were higher level. For example, the Ghost in Verlon Forest is usually too hard until you are about her level. I find that most heroes are hard to dispatch when you are a lower level than they are.

For me, personally, I find the game challenging during the hero battles throughout on impossible, but when I play I fight as few battles as possible until I get Rina and then I fight 40 battles to get her children and then switch to Feanora and do the same, switching every 40 battles to a new wife so that I can ensure that the children work properly as I debug-play my mod. So I get a bit of a reset on the bonuses every 40 battles (although I'll put items in those slots if I got them) and I tend to not sell spells until I get my Trade up to level 3 so that I can maximize my cash earnings since I end up spending the money on Crystals and Runes later.

I do mow through "normal" battles pretty easily, but since you can always bypass battles that are too hard until later, there is really not much I can do about that. The hero battles, though, I find tough and Xeona is especially difficult if you try to get her as soon as possible as you probably can't beat her without losses on impossible until you are at least her level or possibly higher.

Anyway, it'd be great to hear some of your strategies in more detail to give me a feel for how you're playing the game and I also have a game change idea that I'm probably going to implement with my AP / CW mod that will make the "normal" battles harder, but since you can bypass them for the most part anyway, I'm not sure how much good it will do.

By the way, do you use the units that you get bonuses from with each wife / their children or do you just use your favorite units available?

Questions, questions, but the more information you can provide the more useful it will be for me if I make changes in the future or I can use this information to help me with my AP / CW version of the mod.

Thanks again for you great comments and please keep them coming as that's really the only way I can improve this mod!

Matt

/C\/C\
Old 05-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Hi jorko80
First of glad you joined this group in HoMM3 experience.
As for your notations :
- Spirits - you had luck with random upgrading Sleem, with 4 skills, and many more lvls for each (max spirit lvl is 48 now) it hard to get lvlup choices you want/need. best worst thing in this game is randomness and you had good pick this time, and next time you could have horrible lvlup choice item/unit distribution and so on. Only thing i can say is that it changes throughout game.
This is somewhat true - I'll revisit the spirit level ups and if it looks like you can get levelups that are too powerful for your level I can always increase the level requirements. I'll leave it alone for now, but it is certainly something that can be looked at...

Quote:
- I agree in this mod, start is rather easy, even on impossible for those with a bit more experience in KB series. Money never was much of a problem in this game, so higher price of spells is OK.
I think if you're an experienced KB player you won't have any money problems because you don't lose many (if any) troops early in the game and you don't waste your money on stuff that you know isn't worth it.

It's funny, though, I end up whittling my gold down so that when I divorce my wife she gets nothin'!

Quote:
Changing enemy army and bosses early might be fun, but later you`ll have very hard time, because with further location all enemy units get % bonuses for their stats : more hp, more att/def/speed ... And resistances so higher dmg for rage spirits will be welcome in late Hadar, elven/undead lands and demon realm.
There is the fine balance between making it too hard / easy for veteran / new players. If you've done no loss blahbitty-blah challenge this and challenge that then you know a lot of the ins and outs of the game and making it hard for you would make it unduly hard for a new player. So the idea is to bring you along slowly (maybe too slowly if you're experienced), but by the time you get to the mid- and end-game you are fighting battles that are challenging, but ones you've also been trained for by playing the earlier part of the game and noting that it is starting to get harder and harder.

Quote:
For me hardest challenges in this mod are enemy heroes, because Mat made them so they give their units bonuses same as you with skills/items. Expl : enemy hero with highest attribute intellect will have higher magic and cast 2 spells per turn, for 2/4/6 turns in battle depending on hero lvl. Those who have intellect above 30 will cast 3 spells/turn.
Actually I used the hero's level as criteria #1 - see LOGIC.TXT, ehlvldbc in the difficulty_k section and the hero's mana pool as criteria #2 (also in LOGIC.TXT, ehmanadbc). For impossible, heroes >= level 25 get +1 cast and then heroes >= 200 mana get +1 cast. If the hero has both then they get +2 (for a total of 3 casts per round). The 2/4/6 turns are for your mage hero with Higher Magic - enemy heroes get it for the entire combat, but they usually pick the expensive mana spells and can't continue to cast that many because they run their mana pool down.

Quote:
Enemy with highest attack will lower your unit initiative/speed in first 2 turns and give crit% to their units(i`m not sure about this), and high defense hero will give more resistance to his units, or lower you own units. You have time to get to Sonya in elven islands , but she have high intellect, and defense so she lowers you units magic resistance -40% , and cast 3rd lvl lightning spell 2 time/turn with devastating effects to your troops (Mat added bonuses to spells shock effect with working +turns with every 15 intellect , i say working because this didnt apply in original game settings).
Enemy heroes have classes of Warrior, Paladin, and Mage just like you and so what Fatt_Shade is getting at here is that the enemy Warrior and Paladin "skill" bonuses reduce stats of your troops such as initiative and speed, for example. Mage enemy heroes get -resistance to your units with their "Destroyer" skill equivalent since you cannot give enemy heroes mod bonuses (i.e. such as bonuses to fire spells).

If you want to see the exact enemy hero "skill" bonuses I posted exactly what they were here. This shows the exact system that I used for generating the enemy hero "fight" section bonuses based on skills that were from your skill tree, but modified per the restrictions of what could be implemented.

Quote:
(Mat added bonuses to spells shock effect with working +turns with every 15 intellect , i say working because this didnt apply in original game settings).
I thought this was a really important aspect to include because it allowed the spell casting of both you and the enemy heroes to be increased. What is really nice is that you have total control over which spells this affects and which ones it doesn't as specified in SPELLS.TXT. This is an "under-the-hood" improvement that is very subtle, but I think makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

Quote:
So trust me, later in game normal enemy stacks will be just something to try new tactics, but real fights wil be with enemy heroes. All up to dwarf lands are rather easy , but elven/undead/demon land heroes are horrible on impossible difficulty lvl
Yep, just like you get much more powerful with lots of skills so do the enemy heroes and they become very tough during the mid to latter part of the game.

Even early game heroes such as Egirra (the level 7 Ghost with Evil Book) will kick your tail if you're not ready for them (she is in Verlon Forest sometimes, close to the entrance). Not that I've tried really hard, but I haven't beaten her when I've been lower level than her, yet as her Evil Book's (even though they're only level 1) will tear you up!

Of course Fatt_Shade mentioned Sonya, but even Book of Evil @level 23 will give you a very hard time if you're not level 23 yet because it has enhanced Evil Books @level 3 and not to mention level 27 Ambrosius, level 23 Xeona, level 25 Raab Sotten, and level 27 Baal. So get ready for those hero battles!

Also we haven't even mentioned the item suppression fights, which can be very challenging as well since the Tower's spells are based off of the units you use (so for example if you attack with Dragons, then Friendly Towers will cast Dragon Slayer or if you have plants, then Evil Towers will cast fire spells).

Quote:
For bugs, i hope Mat will check what problem is, i didnt encounter that with werewolf hero. Just go through dwarf areas, and you`ll have much more fun after that
I'll see what I can do here - I'm pretty sure that the Werewolf Hero bug I fixed a while back because I think I ran into the same problem that @jorko80 mentioned. I think it was a misspelling of a spell name or something like that, but I'll still double check it to be certain.

Thanks for your comments!

Matt

/C\/C\
Old 05-18-2013, 05:05 AM
Approved Member

I'm trying out the latest version and have run into two bugs so far.

1. When using Griffin eggs, if I use multiple eggs, I only receive 1 griffin per two eggs, rounded down. If I use one egg at a time, I get 1 griffin per egg.

2. I have a fatal crash to desktop (no error message) when fighting Butory (the bandit leader in Marshan Swamp). It occurs as soon as he can act in the battle, which suggests it may be a spell issue. I tried to attach my save file, but the website keeps giving me an error when I do so.

(Note: I modded hero.txt to add a lot of creature containers - eggs - for testing, but otherwise made no changes to the game files.)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCaspermeyer View Post
Thanks!

By the way, which version are you playing? V2013-03-18?

--Yes,that's the version I downloaded.

Well, one of the issues that I had with the original game was that the spirit abilities were too low in power. So I bumped up their abilities so that you have a good rise in their damage, but I did it so that it was in line with what you might be doing damage-wise with your units and spells at that point in the game.

I also did my best to make each spirit ability useful. I think you'll find that they are all pretty useful now. The toughest one to make useful was Poison Cloud, but I think I got it such that you can do some serious damage with it if you decide to level it up.

-- I played with warrior. The poison cloud is a good change and works nice,but the shoal is overpowered,one shoal and half the enemy army is gone and that on 300% ,I imagine on 170% it'll be a disaster . Another overpowered ability is the wall ,with so many health and the ability to cast it every turn,I block everything too easy.

Can you do me a favor and post a screenie of your hero screen at a certain point (or points) in the game so that I can get a feel for what your army lineup was, etc.? Maybe you can also tell me which spells you were using a lot, general strategies, etc.

--Hmm ,spells with warrior are limited,maybe haste and fear come first.But I didn't needed them so much. At some point I found the spell: sacrifice , and I noticed that you reduced the gained percentage. In my opinion that spell is really hard to use anyway and now you made it useless.In "Grandmaster" the mana for the spell is increased and that balances it good I think.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that - can you go into more detail as to how it was too easy and boring?

--Easy answer - too powerful spirits. Maybe it's just for the warrior because he develops them faster. The hero also starts with too many rage points and also raises them very quick,I was offered 13 rage points on a level ,which is too much.Having 73 rage points on lvl7 is again too much.And another important thing is,that in my opinion you messed with the speed of the creatures too much. On impossible every enemy creature has +1 speed in the beginning(later maybe more) and in some heroes armies again +1 speed and that makes them impossible to stop. So either I kill them on the first round with overpowered shoal or they kill me in the second. There is just no way to distract them,to use different tactics,to slow them, to make a change to your army and strategy. That is all gone, everything lasts 2 max 3 turns and that's it.

For example, do you skip battles and save fights for later so that you can get easy victories for tallying victory counters for items. Or do you clear an area as you get to it. Do you go into each battle with full rage, etc.

--Yes ,I do skip battles. But that is just my decision, I like the things that way. "Grandmaster" comes to my mind again. I play it on 400% (that's the percentage put by the developer of the mod on impossible) and that makes you think really hard,what to kill now,what to kill later,you must think even that later you should also leave some weak armies to kill them just to raise your rage and for some other reasons . It involves much thinking throughout the whole game and on the map also,not just in battle, you must carefully plan what you can do,otherwise you are left with no army and no money and must restart. I tried it 2 times and twice I was stopped by general Karador, but it was very interesting,so now I am trying for the third time . Ofcourse lesser difficulties don't need to be this hard, but you can always control that by the meat percentage - just a suggestion. And the increasing stats are a good control thing too,just the speed is a bad thing.
You should try "Grandmaster" even on a lesser difficulty , I think it'll help you balance your mod. Sadly it's on russian only I think. Maybe I can try to translate the change log if you are interested.

Well, I don't think the Turtle is supposed to be that hard and once you survive its area of effect attack without taking losses you can pretty much finish it off no matter how many hitpoints it has (well at least until you run out of mana). Did you experience the rage / mana gain decreasing effects, yet as the combat goes longer?

--Actually the bosses should be really hard on impossible, in the russian mod the turtle is with 20 000 hit points, it is really hard,but it is doable if you find the right army,strategy and etc. I'm sorry to give you always this mod as an example ,but for me it's the best balanced mod I've seen. If it annoys you, I'll stop . About the rage and mana reduction , I did experienced it,but the battles are so quick,that it happened just once or twice.

Have you tried any item suppression fights, yet? You should note that they are more challenging.

--Suppression not, just the druid thingie and Rina's ring ,but they were too easy,one shoal and 3 towers are gone

Can you do me a favor and keep playing? I'd like to hear if it gets difficult at any stage for you.

--Maybe I'll continue in 2 weeks or so. I'll post more impressions if I do.

Did you try to fight any heroes too early in the game and lose to them? There are plenty of heroes that should be really challenging early in the game, so I'm guessing you bypassed them until you were higher level. For example, the Ghost in Verlon Forest is usually too hard until you are about her level. I find that most heroes are hard to dispatch when you are a lower level than they are.

--yes I do wait until I get strong enough to fight some of the heroes,but that I had explained above,that applies for 300% and upwards , for 170% I suppose I don't have to wait. But in the beginning the player doesn't have enough options with the army,spells,spirits and such ,the diversity is limited,so it is natural to skip the hard fights at least for the time when you get a decent hero level. Later when you have more options for strategy,you can fight with higher level heroes without skipping them.

For me, personally, I find the game challenging during the hero battles throughout on impossible, but when I play I fight as few battles as possible until I get Rina and then I fight 40 battles to get her children and then switch to Feanora and do the same, switching every 40 battles to a new wife so that I can ensure that the children work properly as I debug-play my mod. So I get a bit of a reset on the bonuses every 40 battles (although I'll put items in those slots if I got them) and I tend to not sell spells until I get my Trade up to level 3 so that I can maximize my cash earnings since I end up spending the money on Crystals and Runes later.

-- I didn't sell any spells also,but that's because I had more than enough gold anyway,even on 0.4 . Maybe the king's rewards for having a child are too high. In "GM"(Grandmaster) I do have to sell things,because I never go for kids. It is good that you increased the runes for "Trader" skill, but later I think that the player will accumulate too much gold selling those scrolls.

By the way, do you use the units that you get bonuses from with each wife / their children or do you just use your favorite units available?

--I was with Feanora and I did used royal snakes,but anyway without royal snakes in the beginning of The Legend is very hard. For the turtle I also got Bears and ancient bears,because the kids provided bonuses for them and I think the bears were too powerful with bonuses from the wife combined with 2 kids, they had max morale and amazing stats,doing around 1500 dmg to the Turtle in a single hit.

Questions, questions, but the more information you can provide the more useful it will be for me if I make changes in the future or I can use this information to help me with my AP / CW version of the mod.

Thanks again for you great comments and please keep them coming as that's really the only way I can improve this mod!

--I thank you. It is really much work and time you've spend on this mod. I'll try to help with more info, whenever I can.

/C\/C\
Sorry ,my post is a little messed up, my messages start with 2 dashes beneath yours.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Approved Member

Exclamation Whoops - I see my error on the eggs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Whiskers View Post
I'm trying out the latest version and have run into two bugs so far.

1. When using Griffin eggs, if I use multiple eggs, I only receive 1 griffin per two eggs, rounded down. If I use one egg at a time, I get 1 griffin per egg.
Whoops! I see my error on the eggs - my bad! I'll fix that right away. (The Dragon Eggs are messed up, too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Whiskers View Post
2. I have a fatal crash to desktop (no error message) when fighting Butory (the bandit leader in Marshan Swamp). It occurs as soon as he can act in the battle, which suggests it may be a spell issue. I tried to attach my save file, but the website keeps giving me an error when I do so.

(Note: I modded hero.txt to add a lot of creature containers - eggs - for testing, but otherwise made no changes to the game files.)
I'll look into Dirty Butory. You're probably right about it being a spell. Hmmm... his spells are Shroud, Berserker, and Ghost Sword. @jorko80 mentioned he had problems with Martin Vodash and his spells are Berserker, Pain Mirror, and Shroud. So the two common spells are Berserker and Shroud. I'll see if these spells are the problem.

I'll try to get an update out to at least fix the egg problem this weekend and we'll see what I can find out about the crash to desktop problem...

Thanks for reporting these issues!

Matt

/C\/C\

P.S. By the way, the forum has been messed up since about the middle of March with respect to posting files on the forum. I did message @Nike-IT on the problem and a ticket was issued to fix the problem, but it still persists. I'm not sure what to do at this stage, but you can email me your save game file and I'll see if I can find the problem (my email is in the readme file for my mod) straightaway.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Approved Member

Hello ppl

Quote:
-- I played with warrior. The poison cloud is a good change and works nice,but the shoal is overpowered,one shoal and half the enemy army is gone and that on 300% ,I imagine on 170% it'll be a disaster . Another overpowered ability is the wall ,with so many health and the ability to cast it every turn,I block everything too easy.
Warrior is probably first class to upgrade `Master of spirits` skill and upgrade rage skills faster, but trust me later in game enemy heroes with high intellect will devastate you with much more powerful spells then your rage skills are. Wall is useless against enemy range units and flyers, so it`s not overpowered, it`s just you didnt get to strong enough enemy. Placing it in front of enemy dwarf army with alchemist/cannoners/giants wont mean much. Or vs demon(demoness swap, and wall you placed to block enemy, become obstacle for your unit escape)/dragon army. Also piranha shoal is pure physical dmg skill, it will be much less in power vs demons/dragons/ghosts/black knights/... I`ll repeat myself and ask you to try a bit further to check elven/undead lands.

Quote:
--Hmm ,spells with warrior are limited,maybe haste and fear come first.But I didn't needed them so much. At some point I found the spell: sacrifice , and I noticed that you reduced the gained percentage. In my opinion that spell is really hard to use anyway and now you made it useless.In "Grandmaster" the mana for the spell is increased and that balances it good I think.
Spells are changed in mechanics and gain with intellect, and work great. Warrior is not class that should rely to much on spellbook to finish his battles (haste/slow/stone skin etc all bennefitial spells are his to use, but you should forget dmg spells with warrior class). With high enough intellect even weakness become great spell : fighting vs Misticus in undead lands, i had Dryads, 2xFairies, druids, Inquisitors. He cast mass weakness and all my fairies gone from dmg 4-5 to 0-0, and druids/inquisitors to 3-3. So it`s not only make your unit do minimum dmg, but even lowers minimal dmg unit make, with higher intellect. As for sacrifice it`s % is low on first lvl, but on higher lvls and more int points you get insane numbers (with 3rd lvl, and 52 intellect you make 10k dmg, and 365% increase). Mana shield gives 250% defense bonus, and +40mana for 6 hits. Precision give +400%dmg for range units mass effect ... And so on, spells are supposed to work great on high intellect, not for warrior with less then 10 points in it. But on other hand warrior have his own perks.

Quote:
And another important thing is,that in my opinion you messed with the speed of the creatures too much. On impossible every enemy creature has +1 speed in the beginning(later maybe more) and in some heroes armies again +1 speed and that makes them impossible to stop. So either I kill them on the first round with overpowered shoal or they kill me in the second. There is just no way to distract them,to use different tactics,to slow them, to make a change to your army and strategy. That is all gone, everything lasts 2 max 3 turns and that's it.
That +1 speed is allot in beginning, but later you`ll can use slow/have kids that give -1speed to all enemy units/lvlup tactics skill/or fight enemy units that +1speed means nothing (dragons,fairies,archdemons,demoness ...), or vs enemy heroes that use teleport spell. So that +1 speed is nuisance at start, later you`ll simply except it as normal.

Quote:
Of course lesser difficulties don't need to be this hard, but you can always control that by the meat percentage - just a suggestion. And the increasing stats are a good control thing too,just the speed is a bad thing.
Simple increase in `meat %` as you said it, means nothing in tactical approach to battle. In Red sands mod for Ap/Cw they made something similar but every stack you fight along the way have different increase of stats by random generator. Bad thing they did there is minimal increase in low number stats : speed for slow units, and hp for weak units. So later in game on Elon for example you find 10000 fairies 10th lvl with 35hp each. Or thousands of barbarians with speed 6 and initiative 12. Increase is good, but not in absolute numbers, but percentages. I agree that +1 speed is allot when you have no units/items/spells ... but that lasts only for a little while(first 3-4 areas).

Quote:
--Suppression not, just the druid thingie and Rina's ring ,but they were too easy,one shoal and 3 towers are gone
Try some higher lvl items. Fighting with 1000hp towers, that have initiative 15 and cast horribly strong spells is a test I fought marshal baton upgrade, and towers cast 4000dmg fire rain, lightning that shock my units for 5 turns, and summon 500+ bowman/swordman. It was interesting fight.

Quote:
--I was with Feanora and I did used royal snakes,but anyway without royal snakes in the beginning of The Legend is very hard. For the turtle I also got Bears and ancient bears,because the kids provided bonuses for them and I think the bears were too powerful with bonuses from the wife combined with 2 kids, they had max morale and amazing stats,doing around 1500 dmg to the Turtle in a single hit.
My advice is to save game before you change wife. Just so you can see how different is tactical approach to battles with different lineups with different wife/kids. here both wife and kids are much different then in original the Legend ,and i like change and unique buffs you get with each kid

In the end, about crash with Dirty Butory and Martin Vodash, berserk is my bet. Probably enemy hero cast it, and get in loop trying to control that unit, but cant because it refuses to act. Weird thing is, when i cast berserk on some of my units. it make no problems

EDIT : As for rage spirit exp gain, i checked spirit_common.lua file in the Legend (600B), and compared it to similar file in Ap/Cw exp_pet_hint.lua (6kB) around 10 times larger file. In the Legend only is listed base exp from each spirit , with addexp_spirit in case of master of spirits skill, or some item/kid that gives bonus exp for rage skills. But in Ap/Cw there is code line added for current enemy/ally leadership ratio, and that is great bonus in case of small army fighting larger enemy. i mentioned couple posts before i try lvling spirits with 3x1 inquisitors (rage generators) and 2x1 dryads(sleep - control enemy stacks). This works great for first couple areas because dryads control all 3rd lvl enemy, and i use rage skills every turn. What i didnt expect is that spirit exp gain have absolutely no connection with your army total lds in the legend
In Ap/Cw i had battles where in first turn use some pet dragon rage skill and get 700 exp for it. But here with spirits up to 48th lvl , it will be pain getting them up there New lvls and added effects are great (stun/bleeding for Zerock, freeze for Lina) and i like them. Only problem is later in game when you pass 20 lvl for hero, getting spirits from 35 to 36 lvl takes at least 10 long battles with using mostly rage instead your troops. And as Mat mentioned, changing base exp gain in spirit .atom files might be only solution for now. At least until we get full mod for Ap/Cw and start bug proofing it

Last edited by Fatt_Shade; 05-18-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Approved Member

Default These are great comments!

It is good to finally see some discussion! So please keep it coming!

With respect to increases, the way it works is it is always a percentage.

So if you have units with a speed of 2, you need a 50% increase to get them up to 3. I like the rounding approach (i.e. 2.5 will get you up to 3 so you can just have a 25% increase in stats). I'm a big fan of stronger units and leaving the impossible 170% leadership increase alone because I think it gets a bit boring when you give the computer insane numbers, but that's me. Why not set this value to 1000 if you really want a challenge? That just seems tedious to me, though, and so I left alead at 170 and decided to make the game harder in other ways. So to that end I created the new bonus modifiers in the difficulty_k section in LOGIC.TXT to implement this design philosophy:

eunit - this is the statistic scaler (or gain) per difficulty level. You'll note here that for impossible it is set to 1.25. So you can scale alead like you've done (to 300%) or you can leave alead alone and change this value. It is your choice.
maplocden - this scales units based on their map location. Smaller values (divisors) give a larger increase to enemy unit statistics that is additive with eunit based on far into the game you are. So for impossible the divisor is 4 so that will give you an additional +25% (100 is the maximum map difficulty value and I think either 0 or 1 is the minimum, so 100/4=25) to enemy unit statistics when you are in the last area (or hardest areas as I think both Murock and the turtle's back give you +25%). When starting in Greenwort, this is only +1% so it scales nicely throughout the game. So with this, the enemy unit statistic bonus scales from 1.25 to 1.5.
releadmax - this is the maximum leadership (in units) that you'll get when you lose a battle and restart outside the castle with the regenerated army.
minstatinc - this specifies the minimum increase in a unit's statistic from the eunit and maplocden bonuses. For impossible this is set to one, and so is why you see units with +1 speed and initiative always. I put this one in as mentioned above, but it is really needed to give units with 1 in their statistic category a bonus as they wouldn't get it until the last area (if at all) with the 1.5 total bonus from eunit and maplocden. But you can set this to 0 and rely on eunit and maplocden by themselves to increase the enemy unit's stats if you'd like.
ehlvldbc - level at which enemy heroes double cast, mentioned previously.
ehmanadbc - mana at which enemy heroes double cast, mentioned previously.

For the 2 above you may be wondering why I don't use the enemy hero's intellect. Well guess what, I can't get their intellect where the double cast bonus must be applied, so I use mana as a pseudo intellect instead.

roundmrgk1, 2, and 3 - these set the rounds where your mana and rage gain change to only 50%, then 25%, and finally 0%.
roundehero, tower, and boss - these set additive rounds to roundmrgk1, 2, and 3 when fighting enemy heroes, towers, and bosses.

So you can see that I've added quite a few knobs you can twist if you find the game too easy / difficult. So I encourage you to play around with these knobs if you're finding my mod to not be satisfying as I think you can see here that you can literally make it impossible if you give too much bonus to enemy unit statistics or shorten the number of rounds where you have nominal mana and rage regeneration.

@Fatt_Shade pretty much brought up all the points about the spirit abilities and really there is not much I can do because of the game's nonlinearity with respect to skipping things that are too difficult and returning to them later.

Case in point: Sleem's level requirements for getting level4 fishes (where you are doing 900-1100 damage) is level 7 (Sleem's level, not your hero's). I could increase this level higher if you'd rather struggle with 475-625 for a bit longer, but you'll find due to the nonlinear gameplay that languishing at this amount of damage can make Evil Shoal pretty useless. And this is pretty much the only skill you can use to level up Sleem rapidly due to the Spirit Experience game mechanics. Also, since Evil Shoal can damage your own units you are mostly limited to using Evil Shoal on round 1 after that it becomes harder to use it without damaging your own troops so the damage needs to be high otherwise you're not going to use it.

Since you're playing Warrior, I think you can appreciate that you can actually now do damage with your Spirits whereas before you pretty much were stuck with Black Hole and using spells. So maybe this will grow on you as you play the game further...

Okay, I'll look into the crashes - Berserk is my guess, too, although I know it has worked in the past. So I'll see if I can track down this problem...

I've already fixed the Griffin / Dragon Egg problem and will post a new update shortly...

Thanks again for the feedback and keep the comments coming!

Matt

/C\/C\