1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

View Poll Results: Steam poll
Yes I have and like using Steam 256 54.47%
Yes I have and dont like using Steam 67 14.26%
No I do not have Steam but will for CoD 52 11.06%
No I do not have Steam and will not for CoD 95 20.21%
Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2011, 02:28 PM

Hmmm , IF forced to use steam I will not be buying at launch

In 3 months time when it is in the bargin bin for 4.99 I will give it a go

This decision is defo going to hurt sales
Old 03-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

I thought I wouldn't post here but I have to make a remarque about those commenting about those not buying due to STEAM isn't supportive.

I dare to say those reluctant are the oldtimers, I'm one myself. I have decided not to buy initially because I want to see what happens with SolidShield as DRM and STEAM together.

Furthermore, the more I read about STEAM in official sites and by searching I'm leaning towards a no go whatever the case.

But now to the initial point. Most of the oldtimers like myself has bought every single CD/DVD produced by OM and thus supported him and 1C all the way possible. Most of us, me included, has been simming the better part of the last decade and then some.

We are old enough not to take "sweet talk" by companies like STEAM supplier by the word thus keeping a healthy skeptical approach. There is no such thing as a free lunch after all.

With STEAM you're not buying a licence but a subscription and as such it can be revoked at any time and you can't do anything about it. That together with extensive data-mining is enough for some of us to be apprehensive about this move.

With that said I respect all people liking STEAM but I do feel that for us wanting a DVD STEAM would not be required as per ARMA2 for instance.

regards and sorry for the spelling
Old 03-13-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG301_HaJa View Post
I thought I wouldn't post here but I have to make a remarque about those commenting about those not buying due to STEAM isn't supportive.

I dare to say those reluctant are the oldtimers, I'm one myself. I have decided not to buy initially because I want to see what happens with SolidShield as DRM and STEAM together.

Furthermore, the more I read about STEAM in official sites and by searching I'm leaning towards a no go whatever the case.

But now to the initial point. Most of the oldtimers like myself has bought every single CD/DVD produced by OM and thus supported him and 1C all the way possible. Most of us, me included, has been simming the better part of the last decade and then some.

We are old enough not to take "sweet talk" by companies like STEAM supplier by the word thus keeping a healthy skeptical approach. There is no such thing as a free lunch after all.

With STEAM you're not buying a licence but a subscription and as such it can be revoked at any time and you can't do anything about it. That together with extensive data-mining is enough for some of us to be apprehensive about this move.

With that said I respect all people liking STEAM but I do feel that for us wanting a DVD STEAM would not be required as per ARMA2 for instance.

regards and sorry for the spelling
I've been playing flight sims since the 1980's....i'm quite happy to use steam....speak for yourself.. as your not really qualified to speak for others.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggit View Post
I've been playing flight sims since the 1980's....i'm quite happy to use steam....speak for yourself.. as your not really qualified to speak for others.
Agreed, been playing since the 80's. Times move on and Steam is not some evil corporation that will sacrifice your first born.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowze View Post
Hmmm , IF forced to use steam I will not be buying at launch

In 3 months time when it is in the bargin bin for 4.99 I will give it a go

This decision is defo going to hurt sales
Im sorry but I hope you are being sarcastic, seriouly how could you make a post that states game sales are going to be affected when over 82% of the ppl on this forum have stated that they will buy cod regardless.... go bury your head in the sand some more, but be careful you might find yourself staring at a the earths inner core...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
Im sorry but I hope you are being sarcastic, seriouly how could you make a post that states game sales are going to be affected when over 82% of the ppl on this forum have stated that they will buy cod regardless.... go bury your head in the sand some more, but be careful you might find yourself staring at a the earths inner core...
Might I point out that that is at maximum 18% of missing sales. That is a lot of lost money when you are dealing with lots of money.

Do the maths.

Last edited by Hellfire257; 03-13-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire257 View Post
Might I point out that that is at maximum 18% of missing sales. That is a lot of lost money when you are dealing with lots of money.

Do the maths.
No, it's a maximum of 18% of the forum population which is a very minor % of sales and will not in any way reflect the overall demographic.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:01 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG52Krupi View Post
over 82% of the ppl on this forum...
Rather, that is 82% of the people that voted in a poorly worded poll designed to achieve the outcome that the original poster wanted to get.

Most players of this series do not visit or post on this, or any other forum.

So lets not invent some "facts" to support anyone's side of this.

And I would still like a reasoned response to the Steam requirement for all players, wether they purchased the game on Steam or not, from someone in authority at 1C or Maddox Games. Clearly UBI had nothing to do with this.

Personally speaking, the P-40 could contend on an equal footing with all the types of Messerschmitts, almost to the end of 1943.
~Nikolay Gerasimovitch Golodnikov
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire257 View Post

Do the maths.
Yes as was stated before 18% of a tiny insignificant forum.... compared to a huge very impressive tool (STEAM) with a huge user base.

Its time you took a peak outside the "Banana Forums" and realizes you need to do the maths LOL....how deluded can you get?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElAurens View Post
Rather, that is 82% of the people that voted in a poorly worded poll designed to achieve the outcome that the original poster wanted to get.

Most players of this series do not visit or post on this, or any other forum.

So lets not invent some "facts" to support anyone's side of this.

And I would still like a reasoned response to the Steam requirement for all players, wether they purchased the game on Steam or not, from someone in authority at 1C or Maddox Games. Clearly UBI had nothing to do with this.
Could you give me an example of an err... Unbiased poll then, yet another deluded person that can't see further than the tip of their nose.

I thought old people were wise but this forum has completely reversed that to older means... presumptive, selfish and unreasonable.

So Oleg shouldn't be allowed to open his game up to a larger audience and let his team get the money and praise for 6 years hard work because ~60 people on this forum have a sissy fit.

I can understand why you might not like steam and there are plenty of people out there that refuse to use steam sure but most of those boil down to misconceptions and bad luck that some have experienced using steam...

Hell im not going to be a fool, I have waited 6 years for a game to come out I will not let the fact that it uses a steam interface turn me away at the last second...