1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 AM

Default Anyone else having the grass bug??

Since two patches back I have what I call the "grass bug"

What happens is basically that the sfere around the aircraft where grass is loading is way too small and it looks rediculous. It also loads in patches. Ihave a video below to demonstrate the issue. I have seen some rescent videos on youtube that shows that others do not have this issue... It must be on my side somehow..

Anyone else having this issue and how do i fix it?

My system
I5-760 @ 4Ghz
Nvidia GTX 580 oc version
8gig RAM
Win 7
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 PM

I have this too... Although worse for me. Often it won't show any grass at all until the plane starts moving (and then only loading small chunks as in your video). Maybe my low end system - E8400, 4gig ram, 5770. But your specs look good... Is it a setting?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM

I have this too, it annoys the piss outta me.
I have changed the conf file to "grass=1"
This makes the grass smaller which makes the issue less annoying in my opinion.
I think the default was "grass=3".
Try it. I hope this helps
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM

I have the same problem! When on the ground taxiing, taking off or landing it's a real immersion killer.

Reducing the graphic settings did not improve this issue.

Maybe it has to do with the graphic card drivers. I'm using the latest 310.70 WHQL from Nvidia. But this could be easily confirmed by other forum members, that might not have the problem, using the same drivers.

I was also suspecting, that I might have set up my system sub-optimal somehow, maybe contributing to those kinda errors. My computer specs are okay, but I put it together myself for the first time, so maybe I missed important things to setup propperly in BIOS or Windows. Not sure.

It's really frustrating to see that it works so well for others.
Soeren here for example doesn't seem to have the issue (Skip to 03:25 min and/or 22:05 min)

Thanks justme262 for the tip. I'll try it, although it sounds like it's not completely curing the problem, just making it more bareable.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a solution!

Last edited by Matze81; 01-01-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze81 View Post

It's really frustrating to see that it works so well for others.
Soeren here for example doesn't seem to have the issue (Skip to 03:25 min and/or 22:05 min)
y outube.com/watch?v=OuDSqK9XpcM"
Matze81,

Notice that this Freycinet (linked) video was uploaded in 08/11/2011 -
that mean that video is done with pre-Beta patch version of CloD.

Quote:
Since two patches back I have what I call the "grass bug"
As OP stated this reducion of "grass sfere" happened with the last two patchs (2012).
Maybe another trade for "the need of FPS".

Sokol1
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1 View Post
Matze81,

If you look at Youtube carefull you notice that Freycinet upload this (linked) video in 08/11/2011
AFAIK he is done with pre-Beta patch.

As OP stated this reducion of "grass sfere" happened witch the last two patchs (2012).
Maybe another trade for "the need of FPS".

Sokol1
I'm sorry mate! You are right, I did not pay attention to the upload date (although it's clearly visible on YouTube ). YouTube suggested this video a few days ago and I just assumed it's new for whatever reason.

Sokol, just to be clear, does that mean the grass pops up like that for you as well?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 AM

EDIT: Post deleted

Last edited by Matze81; 01-02-2013 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Internet Hickup; Same post registered twice.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Sokol, just to be clear, does that mean the grass pops up like that for you as well?
Yes, and I use Radeon HD 7970 3GB.

Sokol1
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 AM

Thanks, Sokol!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:25 AM

This problem is with the latest (and unfortunately last) version. Everyone has it, no matter what settings you use. It is a bug: the grass pops-in after you have entered and moved many meters in the "tile" where the grass is being generated. It doesn't matter how slowly you enter the area, the grass is not generated until you move beyond a certain limit. Basically, you have negative draw in distance for the grass. You can easily confirm this by following a ground unit or taxiing around the fields.

Because of this bug, it is not possible to make videos with moving ground units anymore with grass enabled (which used to look spectacular before)

I wish there was a way to get it working like it used to. It is frustrating to have seen such beautiful graphics and detail at ground level, which then was taken away as it doesn't work anymore.