1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 AM

The game runs fine on my system with win7 64 bit, even over areas with lots of buildings I get no stutters from texture loading.
Resolution 1600x900, fps anywhere between 30 - 70, depending on the area you are flying over, saw fps spike to over 90 in external view over the channel with about 8 planes on screen, more in combat at the time.
Settings are model detail high, textures original, visual effects high, everything else to medium, ssao on, clouds, shadows, roads on.

And Heliocon, could it be that you are mixing up amd gpu and cpu?

Ben, I am on a very tight budget as well, took me a very long time to buy everything little by little, my advice go with what you have, you can always expand later. I do agree though if new cards, motherboards and cpus (waiting for the bulldozer) will come out later this year prices for state of the art hardware now will fall then, and you even have an AM3+ MB already then.
However looking at especially video cards, one could almost buy a new one every half year, so settle for what you have, expand later, don't get hiped into the hardware ratrace. Only the smalest percentage of gamers can keep up with that financially, I most certainly cannot. No clue how others do it but I got bills to pay and a family to feed, oh and darn it, the family even wants a roof over their heads .

Last edited by NedLynch; 07-31-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 AM

Oh sorry, Ben, keep the monitor you have, it'll be fine, I used to play on a 15inch widescreen monitor, max resolution was quite low but the picture was pristine, since it was that monitors max resolution.
If you get a higher resolution monitor and need to run at a lower resolution the picture might not look as good, generally I think you get the best picture at a monitors native resolution, so if you have a monitor with a lower native resolution you'll have a good picture and you'll free up resources in your comp at the same time.
Remember, never give into the ratrace.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Definitly not what I would go for, but you should go look at other forums that have people better qualified to advise you than here.

-Also get 6gb of ram and get a high res screen, you can get a 22inch 1600x1200 for about $130.
I agree that this would not be a very good setup for CloD.
But why do you completely dismiss the knowledge of everyone on this forum? I'd say that there's a fair amount of HW knowledge in this forum and perhaps in sim community in general, especially what is relevant or not to the sim at hand.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Do you guys understand he's on a budget. I can run CoD great and his setup is better than mine.
Cheapest core i5 sandybridge right now is $185. The cpu he's looking at is $50less, plus he can put a bulldozer on his MB when it comes out.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedLynch View Post
Do you guys understand he's on a budget. I can run CoD great and his setup is better than mine.
Cheapest core i5 sandybridge right now is $185. The cpu he's looking at is $50less, plus he can put a bulldozer on his MB when it comes out.
You graphics card is much better than the HD5770, that will make a big difference.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 PM

Sorry, yeah I guess it is, but still if he builds this he's got a good basis from which to move forward in the future and he will be able to run the game, though I think due to the brilliant response about getting a larger monitor Ben won't be back to even read this.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 AM

What??? no i am still here , my hd5770 whas a gift from my bro so i cant complain compared to my old 9600 gt . I have no intention on changing monitors until this one dies out , been almost 4 years since i got it still run's fine. From what i can tell i just need some more ram for now and the graphic's card will prolly be changed too some gtx 500 series when the new gen comes in around next year , or maybe ill stick too rad's 6000 series since rad card's seam to be better supported for this game. Should give me a good 6-9 months to pile up a good 150-200$ for said card.

I am pretty much like all the rest of the community , that is hoping for better fps ratings coming out of future patches , it's more of a fact then hope really.
Even then i still have to wait at least another week for my new pc to get assemble , and i am still waiting for my joystick to get shipped.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 AM

Good to see you're still there.
I only know one other site where to get good tech info, not sure if it's allowed to mention it here, but anyway it's the forum part of totalwar.com.
There is a tech section towards the bottom of the page and the moderators know quite a bit.

In there questions about going with intel or amd cpus came up as well, in essence the result was while intel is clearly superior currently, amd gives you a great bang for the buck ratio amd the phenomII is not such a bad processor. And like I wrote, with the AM3+ MB you're getting you'll be able to get a bulldozer should the need ever arise. I would have to buy both, MB and processor if I wanted to upgrade to the bulldozer.