1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Approved Member

I suppose it is as same as Il2.
You should modify config.ini to allow cod to use multi-core.
Correct me if anything wrong.I didn't have cod now,downloading.

example.
[rts]
ProcessAffinityMask=15 >>15=4 core, 3=2 core
Old 03-27-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliocon View Post
Sorry let me rephrase that - In this case mutlicore and multithreading is used to reach the same end result. (I indicated that this was a simplified explanation.). The wiki article is a bit outdated/strange as was noted at its start and its about the wrong type of "multithreading", completely different as it actually states it there in the first line. You are looking for this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiprocessing
Or later in the aricle this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulta...multithreading

You are getting your definitions confused. CPU's can have multiple threads, but thats not what we are talking, because in the case of that wiki we are talking about active and innactive threads. So the cpu performs an action on a threads/process, then jumps and does another action on another thread. It is all done in a serial fashion.
When we refer to cores/threads in the context here we are talking about multiple *Simulatnous* threads. Ie its running 2 threads at once. Classically each CPU can run a single thread (which then jumps from process/thread to thread completing tasks, but it happens so quickly you dont notice that it is running everything on the computer by jumping around). Now if a cpu has multiple threads like a i7 hyperthreaded or a upcoming AMD bulldozer which uses hardwarethreading (its actually routed/processed in the core differently as the threads are manufactured, not simulated) it can run 2 tasks simultaneously. For example it can still have hundreds of proccesses but now you have 2 threads/streams doing the work that 1 did previously (the 2 work both at the same time, so before it might of run: game->steam->internet explorer->OS->game->OS. But with 2 threads it might be: 1:->game->game->game->game. 2:->OS->Internet explored->OS->Steam etc. So it allows a sharing of tasks of the ability to divide tasks up in order to "focus" on a process/thread.
Oops, I guess I did get my definition wrong. I was always under the impression that applications are bound to one processor unless they are multicore aware, even if they are multi threaded. I guess I was wrong!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoilfx View Post
Oops, I guess I did get my definition wrong. I was always under the impression that applications are bound to one processor unless they are multicore aware, even if they are multi threaded. I guess I was wrong!
Dont worry about it. Programming is not my area (I am more into graphics because I dont have the patience to bughunt) and when I am typing I occasionally sit and stare at the monitor (thinking wtf am I typing?) because there are so many terms and the tech changes so fast that it can get overwhelming/confusing.

@Tanner - What I was thinking, ironic isnt it?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:32 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
Funny that my supposedly inferior Wings of Prey install takes full advantage of both cores of my aged AMD Dual Core CPU. Nice coding, Maddox Games.
I played the wings of pray demo on all high settings and its nice and smooth never drops below 30fps usually. What engine is wings of prey on IL2??
“Violent, irrational, intolerant, allied to racism and tribalism and bigotry, invested in ignorance and hostile to free inquiry, contemptuous of women and coercive toward children: organized religion ought to have a great deal on its conscience.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Old 03-27-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
In the famous words of johnny Rotton, 'ever feel like you've been cheated'!
Actually you seem quite cheerful at what you perceive as a failure of the game.

In fact Tree, with your adoption of the name 'CLOD', you seem to be displaying a real malicious side, gleefully determined to do whatever you can to pull down this game and sabotage its sales.

This is the attitude you have presented from the start on these forums. Completely lacking in constructive criticism.

You seem more determined to 'prove' how right you were from the very start... how this game was one big plot to steal our money, destroy the free world, etc. etc.

Well here's the thing old buddy Tree:

There are many of us who are looking for the positive side of this release.

It is a NEW game, and YES, it has many aspects which recommend it to those in the community who simply want to enjoy flight simming.

Perhaps there are issues with the game, but I would ask: What is the use in destructive attacks?

Instead of applying all your energy to completely negative comments, while ignoring the many innovative aspects, (as for example, icing of the canopy in high alt clouds, complex engine controls, etc. etc.) maybe you should try phrasing your comments to point out issues, without including the destructive, hateful tone.

It come as a surprise to you, but you don't get any 'points' from being the nastiest person on a given forum.

Here's my final comment:

If you hate the game so much, why are you here? Are you going to buy the game? If you aren't, then I would suggest you just leave.

You are wasting your time and ours.

Last edited by *Buzzsaw*; 03-27-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:03 AM

Multicore is much more important than 64bit which probably not need at all.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
I played the wings of pray demo on all high settings and its nice and smooth never drops below 30fps usually. What engine is wings of prey on IL2??
Hilariously yes Wings of Prey licensed the IL-2 Engine and graphically enhanced it, while at the same time slightly simplifying the flight model and gutting the damage model. The use of size compressed (tiny) maps also contributes to the kind of performance and visuals that they have.

Too bad the game itself is so weak...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigur_ros View Post
Multicore is much more important than 64bit which probably not need at all.
A 64Bit exe will be needed to be ready for the future. In the future, it would be nice to be able to load the entire game into 6-7GB of memory (or more) to reduce stutters/micro freezes, which happen on disk access.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Tree_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Buzzsaw* View Post
Actually you seem quite cheerful at what you perceive as a failure of the game.

In fact Tree, with your adoption of the name 'CLOD', you seem to be displaying a real malicious side, gleefully determined to do whatever you can to pull down this game and sabotage its sales.

This is the attitude you have presented from the start on these forums. Completely lacking in constructive criticism.

You seem more determined to 'prove' how right you were from the very start... how this game was one big plot to steal our money, destroy the free world, etc. etc.

Well here's the thing old buddy Tree:

There are many of us who are looking for the positive side of this release.

It is a NEW game, and YES, it has many aspects which recommend it to those in the community who simply want to enjoy flight simming.

Perhaps there are issues with the game, but I would ask: What is the use in destructive attacks?

Instead of applying all your energy to completely negative comments, while ignoring the many innovative aspects, (as for example, icing of the canopy in high alt clouds, complex engine controls, etc. etc.) maybe you should try phrasing your comments to point out issues, without including the destructive, hateful tone.

It come as a surprise to you, but you don't get any 'points' from being the nastiest person on a given forum.

Here's my final comment:

If you hate the game so much, why are you here? Are you going to buy the game? If you aren't, then I would suggest you just leave.

You are wasting your time and ours.
Jeez, have you listned to yourself, stop stalking me - try and get me off your mind, I am not your problem - your problem is that the game wont run, I had naff all to do with that.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschool61 View Post
No your having a tree induced seizure, better put a tree filter on the forum!!
Closed Thread