1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosstx View Post
Now you guys know how it is with wikileaks. They leaked documents. That was illegal, yet, everyone says they deserve a medal.
You should work on your perception. Everyone?
Certain groups of people, certain media...
They don't - certain information don't have top be available for public for the sole reason it's none of their business.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Now you guys know how it is with wikileaks. They leaked documents. That was illegal, yet, everyone says they deserve a medal.
Publishing the truth is never illegal.Publishing something that is not your own on the other hand is illegal.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:16 AM
Approved Member

The programmers friend who put it up should be slapped around a bit but I'm glad I saw it. In my opinion one can't scorn the other for swooning over such a great clip. It's too bad it was a leaked video. The crap that Ilya went threw must have been very unpleasant. Just think how good the gold version clips are going to be.

Last edited by Richie; 02-16-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthier View Post
Just so you guys know, this is a rare case of a true leak, i.e. not a marketing ploy but a real rogue user doing something really lame for self-promotion.

The stuff you're seeing is obviously from a beta, not indicative of release, and I'm really way too upset to address this in a calm manner at this time.

The person who leaked this is a personal friend of one of our programmers. I anticipated exactly this kind of issue, Oleg warned me about this specifically. The programmer asked us to give his buddy beta access as a personal favor to him, and I in turn took the responsibility on myself. I got chewed up for this big time, and I'm seriously considering letting the programmer go. It goes without saying that the author's beta access is revoked, and I'm cutting all further communication with him.

We caught this a bit too late, by which time it was way too late to try to delete it, so we'll let you guys continue discussing it but probably won't check the thread or respond to anything related to these videos.

We'll release final gameplay videos once we go gold, where you can judge the features that are shipping with release.
Ugh, sorry to hear about that. While the video was amazing it is too bad that it caused such heartburn for you and the team. Unfortunately what it will end up doing is creating more fear of leaks and less trust of testers and programmers. It is a natural reaction of course and too bad because that trust is very hard to get back once it is gone.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
Publishing the truth is never illegal.Publishing something that is not your own on the other hand is illegal.
That's a pretty simplistic line of thinking. Just because something is truthful doesn't necessarily mean it is right in publishing it. If you publish something that allows people access and ability to harm thousands of people, especially innocent people, then you aren't really doing any good.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royraiden View Post
And if that something contains documents of war crimes then it might need to be done, illegal or not.
Legality does not define what is right.

Flying online as Setback.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Approved Member

Going back to the video - one of the things that impressed me most was as the Hurricane got into its take-off run there was a real feeling of speed due to the textured long grass shooting past either side of the grass runway.

Great sensation and a big improvement on il-2.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Probably the most igorrant and worst comment you could of possibly made in this thread.

Wikileaks did not leak anything, they released information leaked by a member of the intelligence community and are therefore not doing anything illegal. They are protected under the constituition and can desminate the information as they wish as they are publishing or presenting it, not leaking it. If they encouraged the leak then they may be guilty of a crime but as of now that has not been proven.

As for my personal opinion on their actions I wont go into, but it was not illegal and is not comparable to this game footage leak.

edit: Sorry your thinking is simplistic. The leaks incase you did not realise had the names of parties removed from them, so "thousands of innocent people" is a bit of an exageration.

Last edited by Heliocon; 02-16-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimHq Tom Cofield View Post
That's a pretty simplistic line of thinking. Just because something is truthful doesn't necessarily mean it is right in publishing it. If you publish something that allows people access and ability to harm thousands of people, especially innocent people, then you aren't really doing any good.
Definitely.Wrong use of words by me then.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:20 PM

Of course,with all the internal grief this has undoubtably caused at 1C, showing us cool stuff on a Friday has probably slipped quite far down the 'to do' list...

Q6600 @ 2.4 / 4 GB ddr2 / GTX285 1 gb gfx / W7 64
Whiners to fanboys in one move, who'd a thought it!