1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Famous title comes to consoles.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 PM

Default Landing Tips

While playing CTA I've noticed a lot of people crashing on a failed attempt to land. To be really honest, most of the attempts just look pathetic. I'm guessing this is because people either don't practice, or don't know the basics. So, here are the basics:
  • Most important!: Speed. This is what I think is the reason many people crash. They swoop down from the spawnpoint and just pull back on the stick above the ground and hope they 'land'. Doesn't work this way. You'll have to lose your speed before trying to put your plane on the ground. Just make some horizontal S's or a 360 or what not. There is a landing speed topic going on, but my advice is just to get it to 200-250 km/h. Most planes can handle a slightly slower speed, but that's not really necessary.
  • Second most important: Flare. Flaring is the 'technique' where you go from a descending flight into a horizontal flight just above the runway. Look up any landing of any plane on youtube and you'll find an example. Basically what you have to do is pull back on the stick when you're just above the runway, and try to keep it as close to the runway as possible for as long as possible. The airplane will lose it's speed, and thus lift, and will eventually go down by itself. The closer you are to the ground, the smoother the landing.
  • Do not descent too fast. This differs a lot per plane, but be sure you know how far in advance to level your airplane. Pulling out of a dive 40ft above the runway and land is certainly possible, but not advisable. If you're not too good at landings, be sure you pull out of a dive or steep descent some distance before the airfield, so you can make your final approach nice and easy. This will also make it easier to flare, as you won't have to jerk back on the stick at just the right time. You can smoothly pull back on the stick as the airplane loses speed and altitude.
  • A controller is advisable. At least before the update, since you can brake on the ground with a controller, and not (yet) with a joystick.
  • Practice. Cliché but true: practice makes perfect. The landscape of IL2 is usually smooth enough to be able to land just about anywhere where there's no trees or buildings, so you can practice anywhere you want.
  • 3rd person view is practical. When you use third person you can see your own shadow over the airfield, enabling you to make a perfectly smooth touchdown, since this is the best height reference there is.
  • Gear. Don't forget it. I just put this here for all you wise-asses out there .
  • Sim Mode: Landing Flaps. If you select flaps after selecting landing gear down, the flaps will go down to Landing flaps. This will cause an increase in lift and drag, helping you to slow down without stalling. Thanks King Jareth

I fly mostly in realistic, so these tips definitely apply to that mode. I have made landings on sim, and did not find these much different, apart from the 3rd person obviously. I have not made any landings in arcade, and so I have no idea if they are much different. I can't imagine they are. I might try it out sometime soon and I'll edit this post if I notice anything much different.
If anyone has anything to add, please feel free.

Last edited by Ancient Seraph; 09-23-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:08 PM

I'm ok at landing (got my 50 realistic CTA landings trophy ) but I often crash simply because I'm trying to get on the ground before the other guy and cut it too fine.

But in a nutshell it's just a controlled stall onto the airfield lol.

Arcade landings aren't hugely different from any other difficulty, but the time it takes you brake is a lot shorter. So if you're used to landing on arcade make sure you leave enough room to come to a stop on higher levels!

I was quite impressed at the damage model the other day too - there I was, capturing an airfield having broken off one of my wheels. It was awesome. Luckily I didn't get any grief off the OpFor, and needless to say I had to "bail out" when I was done capturing. Looked pretty cool on the external camera though.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:10 PM

I would just like to also add that for those using the Virtual cockpit; Try and maintain a glide angle. Its easy to do with the VC since you have a climb angle indictator. I personally try to use a 10~20 degree climb angle when landing, as this is just about right for a perfect 3 point touchdown. Also when using a pad, pulling back onthe right stick and simply gliding in also helps. When timed right, you dont even need to flare as your angle of attack should be as noted above and the plane works like its got an airbrake.

Also as a tip for those playing sim mode; When your landing and you think your coming in a bit to fast, do a rudder slide (eg left/right/left/right rudder). This will slow you down considerably before touchdown.

Last edited by Lexandro; 09-23-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:35 PM

[sim mode]If you put your landing gear down first then flaps you get Landing flaps instead of Combat flaps, no hard numbers to back it up but general concensus is that Landing flaps give you more lift[/sim mode]
Old 09-23-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Jareth View Post
[sim mode]If you put your landing gear down first then flaps you get Landing flaps instead of Combat flaps, no hard numbers to back it up but general concensus is that Landing flaps give you more lift[/sim mode]
Thanks, I'll put it in the post. Not sure if the people reading the forum are the people needing tips on landing, but I thought I'd still post it .

Last edited by Ancient Seraph; 09-23-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 PM

Yes, they do, but I also find that they can give you so much lift you find it hard to touch down. I think they are best as brakes, then put them back up before attempting to touch the wheels to the ground. Seems silly...but it's a game after all, and not perfect
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wissam24 View Post
Yes, they do, but I also find that they can give you so much lift you find it hard to touch down. I think they are best as brakes, then put them back up before attempting to touch the wheels to the ground. Seems silly...but it's a game after all, and not perfect
Whatever floats your boat . Be sure not to try it in RL though.. that might not be so pretty .
Old 09-23-2009, 08:21 PM

No, when I landed I did it the more orthodox way. I didn't really want to take any chances, it being a real plane, and me be a real living person and all.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:44 PM

If your having landing trouble, practice with the po-2. It's unbelievably easy to land, then once you get the maneuvers down you can move on to harder planes.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Most IMPORTANT piece of advice..........

Make sure your landing gear is down