1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
speculum jockey

Some of you don't seem to get this, so here it is in a 3 step formula that makes everything clear.

1. Blood/Gore = Loss of Available Markets for the Game

2. Loss of Available Markets for the Game = Less Profit for Oleg and Co.

3. Less Profits for Oleg and Co. = Less or possibly NO Future Development on the SOW series.

That means. . . .

Pilot having his blood and brains splattered all over the inside of the cockpit = BAD!!!
Pilot Slumping over the controls = Probably ok.
Bailed-out Pilot gibbing into a million bloody chunks = BAD!!!
Bailed-out Pilot going limp in his parachute harness = Probably ok.

Oleg is not going to add depictions of blood/gore/swastikas/naked women/animal abuse/drug use/etc... To do any of those would cause his title to be rated "adult/mature" in some countries and be banned in others. This is business suicide, something he can not afford given the markets that buy flight sims and the size and resources of his company.

Are there even mods here? How about throwing around a few bans/probations for people who keep going way off topic on things that have been beaten to death already?

(Back on topic)

Now the rear part of the canopy on the JU-88 being ejected from the aircraft (4th pic), would that be as a result of the damage from the Hurricane behind it, or is that part of the bail-out procedure for the gunner? I'm just wondering if MG fire is really going to cause the canopy to fall off like that. That seems to me to be something more akin to cannon or flak damage.

Also, I have to say that the tracers look perfect from what I have seen in person and on video.

Tracers at dusk:
Tracers in the day:

I should note that the videos are showing the use of tracers that have a delay before lighting up, so as to not give away the shooter's exact location. I believe tracers used in the air on both sides had no delay.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumo211 View Post
Here it can be also seen at 0:42 , propeller is pretty visible under some angle view with light reflection :

Great footage mate! It'd be awesome to see this in game.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM

On the whole blood/gore issue, personally I have no problem with it. In IL2 all it took was a conf.ini change to activate it, and I did. War is War.

I don't think the addition of blood/gore and consequential rating change would have much if any impact on sales. Haven't you seen the 12 yr-olds at EBGames buying games where the whole point appears to be to kill your opponent in close combat in the goriest way possible? Have those games' sales suffered? Are the 12 yr-olds a market segment likely to buy SoW:Bob?

That said, creating blood/gore would take resources away from far more important details and for that reason I'll happily do without.
I'm also happy that we'll never have to have 23-page discussions on how the depiction of blood inaccurately protrays the coagulation time of blood on a hot perspex canopy...
Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip.ed View Post
Great footage mate! It'd be awesome to see this in game.
That is some of the most insane strafing footage I have ever seen! Talk about close. A well aimed rock would have brought down some of those planes. Plus, the danger from secondary explosions was very apparent. Wow.

Splitter
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM
speculum jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_G View Post
I don't think the addition of blood/gore and consequential rating change would have much if any impact on sales. Haven't you seen the 12 yr-olds at EBGames buying games where the whole point appears to be to kill your opponent in close combat in the goriest way possible? Have those games' sales suffered? Are the 12 yr-olds a market segment likely to buy SoW:Bob?
The problem is that the US, while great for sales of bloody first-person-shooters (biggest market) is a side market for a lot of flight sims, where as Europe/Russia are real markets you don't want to miss out on. If you wanted to make a version with blood you would miss out on Germany, who required cartoonish shooters to change blood to "green slime". Similar laws exist in other countries as well (Australia for example). Another problem would be adding a swastika. This, like blood, is all fine and dandy in the US/Canada, but Germany, France, and Russia have issues with this.

Strange as it sounds, this game is not being made with the American Market in mind, as it is not the cash cow of flight sims like it is with FPS.

Anyways, this thread is for discussing what has been posted by Oleg and Luthier in the updates.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM
Approved Member

There's a lot of great effects footage in that video that Oleg and co could use as reference's for SoW.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:56 PM

This thread goes WAAAAAAAAAYYY OFF topic...
hope it's getting friday soon.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHilt View Post
This thread goes WAAAAAAAAAYYY OFF topic...
hope it's getting friday soon.
Off topic?Yes.
But very fun in the latest posts.
Better than the endless discutions about release dates.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Global Moderator

You know guys this is just a bunch of Cannoli

Here it is Tuesday and it looks like the thread will have to be locked with half the week to go before another update.

Why don't you guys go back and delete your rodomontade ( junk postings) save me some work deleting them. This way the thread can stay open. There might actually be others that haven't seen the thread who would like to comment.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmiss View Post
You know guys this is just a bunch of Cannoli

Here it is Tuesday and it looks like the thread will have to be locked with half the week to go before another update.

Why don't you guys go back and delete your rodomontade ( junk postings) save me some work deleting them. This way the thread can stay open. There might actually be others that haven't seen the thread who would like to comment.
These posts are a lot more usefull than the posts on the update with the tree whining, although the trees looked fantastic, even that post didn't get locked. And it is still about the effects from tracers and the propellors and the bailing out what was a subject in the update.