1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik

IL-2 Sturmovik The famous combat flight simulator.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 AM
The_Jester The_Jester is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: A wheatfield.
Posts: 6
Default Catalina Goof

It seems that the model of Catalina found in-game uses the wrong tail. The PBY-6 and the PBN-1 Nomad, the latter of which saw most of it's use in Russia, utilize the tall tail seen in the second picture while the PBY-5 seen in the first picture would use a shorter tail seen on most production models in the pacific. It also seems that, if this PBY were actually a model 6, it would be seen with a Radome above the cockpit, which the game model lacks. I find this to be a rather curious error and would like to thank you for this space on this thread. Thank you.

Links where I found the pictures:
http://mission4today.com/index.php?n...ewtopic&t=4790
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._side_view.jpg
http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vue...ed_pby5_3v.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PBY-5.jpg (131.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg PBY-6A.jpg (55.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IL 2 Catalina.jpg (52.2 KB, 76 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:11 AM
WTE_Galway WTE_Galway is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jester View Post
It seems that the model of Catalina found in-game uses the wrong tail. The PBY-6 and the PBN-1 Nomad, the latter of which saw most of it's use in Russia, utilize the tall tail seen in the second picture while the PBY-5 seen in the first picture would use a shorter tail seen on most production models in the pacific. It also seems that, if this PBY were actually a model 6, it would be seen with a Radome above the cockpit, which the game model lacks. I find this to be a rather curious error and would like to thank you for this space on this thread. Thank you.

Links where I found the pictures:
http://mission4today.com/index.php?n...ewtopic&t=4790
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._side_view.jpg
http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vue...ed_pby5_3v.jpg

I am pretty sure Gibbage said he based the IL2 3D model on the PBY-5A not the PBY 5, though as you say the tall tail was more a PBY 6 feature.


Though perhaps the PBY 5A was the flyable PBY he was working on that never eventually showed up in IL2.

Last edited by WTE_Galway; 02-24-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2011, 04:05 AM
Feathered_IV's Avatar
Feathered_IV Feathered_IV is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,456
Default

I thought the aircraft was always intended
to represent the Nomad
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Fafnir_6 Fafnir_6 is offline
Approved Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered_IV View Post
I thought the aircraft was always intended
to represent the Nomad
+1

I'm pretty sure this is what the current catalina in IL-2 is (it was an eastern front addition IIRC). In addition to the tall tail, it also has the nomad nose, which differs from the PBY one in shape somewhat.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
LukeFF LukeFF is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Riverside, California, USA
Posts: 339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafnir_6 View Post
I'm pretty sure this is what the current catalina in IL-2 is (it was an eastern front addition IIRC). In addition to the tall tail, it also has the nomad nose, which differs from the PBY one in shape somewhat.
Correct. Gibbage always intended it to be a Nomad.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 AM.

Based on a design by: Miner Skinz.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 1C Company. All rights reserved.