1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 04-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Approved Member

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthr...light=fov+dots
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

Stand alone Collector's Edition
DCS Series

Even duct tape can't fix stupid... but it can muffle the sound.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Rider View Post
?

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
its amazing how the label "troll" comes up when someone is caught out and in reference to someone who isn't agreeing with the name caller. Name calling just says "no firm basis of argument"
If by 'caught out' you mean someone who didn't know the first thing about FOV and couldn't answer the most basic questions, yabbering on about 'projection' vs 'photography', then yeah, I caught you out.

Otherwise, you are literally the biggest and most obnoxious moron I have met on these forums and you still don't see where you went wrong. That's not name calling. It's calling a spade a spade.

Congrats, you just made the ignore list.

Manu, I read your suggestion and it is interesting but it is not in the game as is and might be obtrusive. Switching between FOV's while using trackir is practical, simple and works well, hence why I think it is the most practical solution at the moment.

As long as we agree on one thing - and that is that objects on screen are NOT being displayed at their real size and are NOT as easy to spot as in reality (depending on monitor size, viewing distance and other factors) - which is apparently beyond some to admit - then I believe we can move forward with suggested solutions.

To be so hung up on multiplayer gameplay that you wish to insult players by suggesting they are cheating or whining when they use narrower fov's or to try and guilt them out of or prevent them from doing so for your benefit is just unacceptable imho. I don't want to play online with players who will reduce the realism of the sim to protect their vested interests. And obstructing more realistic methods of spotting aircraft is doing just that.

Last edited by irR4tiOn4L; 04-20-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irR4tiOn4L View Post

If by 'caught out' you mean someone who didn't know the first thing about FOV and couldn't answer the most basic questions, yabbering on about 'projection' vs 'photography', then yeah, I caught you out.

Otherwise, you are literally the biggest and most obnoxious moron I have met on these forums and you still don't see where you went wrong. That's not name calling. It's calling a spade a spade.

Congrats, you just made the ignore list.

Manu, I read your suggestion and it is interesting but it is not in the game as is and might be obtrusive. Switching between FOV's while using trackir is practical, simple and works well, hence why I think it is the most practical solution at the moment.

As long as we agree on one thing - and that is that objects on screen are NOT being displayed at their real size and are NOT as easy to spot as in reality (depending on monitor size, viewing distance and other factors) - which is apparently beyond some to admit - then I believe we can move forward with suggested solutions.

To be so hung up on multiplayer gameplay that you wish to insult players by suggesting they are cheating or whining when they use narrower fov's or to try and guilt them out of or prevent them from doing so for your benefit is just unacceptable imho. I don't want to play online with players who will reduce the realism of the sim to protect their vested interests. And obstructing more realistic methods of spotting aircraft is doing just that.

wow... you're certainly rattled and still name calling... wow, and also off target
Spotting other aircraft in real life, is not as easy as you think, or want it to be either, so yeah - do keep trying, or rather crying that you "can't spot the dot".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6S.Manu View Post

In IL2 I started to fly at different resolution (1280 instead of 1920) because I can't stand anymore to be a blind pilot... that or I had to uninstall the game.

LoBi, what about my idea? Have you an opinion about that?
I believe that was, effectively, "flashing neon arrows"
Intel 980x | eVGA X58 FTW | Intel 180Gb 520 SSD x 2 | eVGA GTX 580 | Corsair Vengeance 1600 x 12Gb | Windows 7 Ultimate (SP1) 64 bit | Corsair 550D | Corsair HX 1000 PSU | Eaton 1500va UPS | Warthog HOTAS w/- Saitek rudders | Samsung PX2370 Monitor | Deathadder 3500 mouse | MS X6 Keyboard | TIR4

DCS Series

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 04-20-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I believe that was, effectively, "flashing neon arrows"
What was? What are you referring to?

And what about the thread you linked above?

BTW have you read the documents provided by this thread?

I already had a long discussion with you on another argument, I know well your troll-like attitude, but I'm a patient guy so please explain yourself.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter. Iit is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.Thus it is doubly ironic that the Spitfire’s reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria.

Last edited by 6S.Manu; 04-20-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:24 PM

the game provides a variable FOV... i think that's really the only compromise that works, since most people don't have 8000x4500 resolution 60" full depth perception giving monitors...
Old 04-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
I already had a long discussion with you on another argument, I know well your troll-like attitude, but I'm a patient guy so please explain yourself.
hmm, the label has come out early...

anyways - here is your, effectively, "flashing neon arrows".

Quote:

Simply combine the labels and what explained in part 1 of this post.

You have to scan the sky for enemies or friendly contacts; but because of the resolution issue with FOV you still can's see them if not as a dot. So you push a KEY BUTTON and start to fly in search mode (I would like to add that visual acuity should be linked to a tiredness value to simulate the actual visual skill of a pilot: think about the 4° mission of the day...).
In this MODE labels appear on the screen IF you have spotted a plane, only in that event.
How can be these labels?
IMO something like this:

Big and visible (customizable?).

Quote:

Hi Strike, the "blinking sun glare" is a really good idea.. still in these days me and my teammates are discussing about a good solution and the blinking object is been one of the solutions, provided that this effect is triggered every x seconds because of the resolution problem.

DCS Series

Last edited by Wolf_Rider; 04-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Approved Member

Quote:
hmm, the label has come out early...

anyways - here is your, effectively, "flashing neon arrows".
Not early enough... be sure.

Ok, please explain the reason for which you are against a rollaway icon like that.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Approved Member

why not just a developer determined (60 ~ 75 degree), and locked FoV and binoculars?

You want realistic? that's your boy

DCS Series

Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 AM

Manu, don't reason with the trolls, just put them on the ignore list where they belong.

OF all his posts, there is not one I can say I gained from by reading. He has come into this thread, and likely many others, with only one aim, and that is to whine as hard as possible about anyone who uses a fov narrower than his magical 60 degrees.

He has no understanding of piloting and spotting a real aircraft, has no clue what he is talking about when it comes to anything fov related, and has no idea how good a pilot's eyes should be, but he sure as hell WILL come in here to tell us that a 22" monitor 1 metre from our face occupying just 22 degrees of our vision should be set at no less than 60 fov in order to be 'realistic', and that spotting a single pixel on a 22" plane 1 metre from our face which has, for most people, at least 1,920,000 of them is a most realistic way to spot aircraft!

The guy is from another planet.