1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Quote from Luthier...this from the last patch notes...

"Generally, releases should follow at about the same pace as they have with the current patch"
furbsy furbsy, you'r having a relapse of tree'itis there

previous smaller patches were released fairly frequently during the mad "post initial sale of the game" period, in a desperate attempt to plug the holes in the ship and try and get the sim running at some halfway decent level of performance, to which they largely succeeded by about 4 months ago (except people like me on mid level pc's still have significant problems, but at least people with high end machines seem to be having fun online)

to now try and use the 4 - 5 months wait for the rewrite of the complete game gfx engine as an reason to believe that all subsequent patches will take that long is obviously not rational or reasonable. taking these type of extreme troll-like positions is what usually makes it impossible to include you in normal constructive exchanges here
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 03-03-2012, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbs View Post
Since there is no patch today, please could you ask Luthier to take 5 mins to answer these very very important questions to the best of his knowledge in the update thread today...

1) Will the patch fix the CTD(MEM leak)

2) What changes in the FM will we see in the patch?

3) What improvements can we expect in the AI?

4) Have the radio commands been worked on and fixed?

5) Has the ground handling been addressed?

6) Distant LoD model visibility fixed for aircraft and ground objects?

7) How close are the server docs and SDK away from release?

8 ) Has Luthier looked again at the issue of COOPs?

9) Will the FPS boost allow FSAA to be addressed and improved?

Thanks very much Blacksix and i hope you can inform Luthier about these important questions.
+1
Old 03-03-2012, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
furbsy furbsy, you'r having a relapse of tree'itis
to now try and use the 4 - 5 months wait for the rewrite of the complete game gfx engine as an reason to believe that all subsequent patches will take that long is obviously not rational or reasonable. taking these type of extreme troll-like positions is what usually makes it impossible to include you in normal constructive exchanges here
I share your observation.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
..to now try and use the 4 - 5 months wait for the rewrite of the complete game gfx engine as an reason to believe that all subsequent patches will take that long is obviously not rational or reasonable. taking these type of extreme troll-like positions is what usually makes it impossible to include you in normal constructive exchanges here
the rewrite of the core did no take only 4-5 months, they've probably started it 9 months go, after the last fast patches from the 3 months after the launch.

But 9 months is also too short of a time if they for example rewritten it from the scratch for DX11 (and not only using DX11's API, but using DX11 features like tessellation, etc). I've said it after game's launch, and I still believe it now, 1 year after, specially as what happened from then until now fits this theory best:

what we've seen launched as IL2CoD was actually a concept code, based on IL21946's code, slowly developed over time for testing various new systems with the old already available engine, with the intention to rewrite everything on clean from a certain point. Yet, when the plug was pulled, they've found out they won't finish it (the new engine) in time for the launch date, so they've dropped the new engine code for the moment, and entered in a frenzy to patch the concept one in order to can launch it. After the launch and the 3 months of trying to save the sinking boat, they've got back focused on writing to finish the new engine's code, which by now reached a core-ready state.

Last edited by adonys; 03-03-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonys View Post
the rewrite of the core did no take only 4-5 months, they've probably started it 9 months go, after the last fast patches from the 3 months after the launch.

But 9 months is also too short of a time if they for example rewritten it from the scratch for DX11 (and not only using DX11's API, but using DX11 features like tessellation, etc). I've said it after game's launch, and I still believe it now, 1 year after, specially as what happened from then until now fits this theory best:

what we've seen launched as IL2CoD was actually a concept code, based on IL21946's code, slowly developed over time for testing various new systems with the old already available engine, with the intention to rewrite everything on clean from a certain point. Yet, when the plug was pulled, they've found out they won'y finish it in time for the launch date, so they've dropped the new engine code for the moment, and entered in a frenzy to patch the concept one in order to can launch it. After the launch and the 3 months of trying to save the sinking boat, they've got back focused on writing to finish the new engine's code, which by now reached a core-ready state.
Wow! Do you work at MG or is this speculation? If it's the latter you'd better stop because of the new forum rules.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Approved Member

adonys, when were you hired by MG?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Tree_UK

The patch will certainly be worth the wait, this will be the same graphics engine that they use in BOM, so in the very near future we will be able to take full advantage of DX11. Happy days.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
The patch will certainly be worth the wait, this will be the same graphics engine that they use in BOM, so in the very near future we will be able to take full advantage of DX11. Happy days.
Oh! Did I miss something? I can't seem to find any post by the devs that says the patch will have DX11 features activated. Post a link will you Tree.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_UK View Post
If the performance is as good as the devs suggest, the potenial for the option to enable DX11 is a possiblility.

edit.... i doubt it will be in the next patch, but the fps boost will make it more possible in the future.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip

Last edited by Chivas; 03-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addman View Post
Oh! Did I miss something? I can't seem to find any post by the devs that says the patch will have DX11 features activated. Post a link will you Tree.
It was never mentioned, but the devs are certainly not willing to suggest the possibility unless they are absolutely sure it will make the option list. You know how people like to claim its a promise even when the developer goes out of his way to say nothing is promised.

edit.... i doubt it will be in the next patch, but the fps boost will make it more possible in the future.
Asus GTX580 Direct CU II
60gigSSD with only Windows7 64bit, Hotas Peripherals, and COD running on it
500gig HD Dual Boot
Samsung 32"LG 120hz
MSFF2 Joystick
Cougar Throttle
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Track IR 5 ProClip

Last edited by Chivas; 03-03-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Closed Thread