1C Home   |   Register   |   Today Posts   |   Members   |   UserCP   |   Calendar   |   Search   |   FAQ

Go Back   Official 1C Company forum > 1C Publishing > IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover > Technical threads

Technical threads All discussions about technical issues

Old 05-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Approved Member

Default A way to change some of the colours in Cliffs Of Dover.

Finally got around to checking out the colour-correcting capabilities of this neat little program (injectFxaa_by_some_dude).

For those not familiar with it, it's just a set of files you drop into your IL2:COD game folder, mainly in order to enable a kind of anti-aliasing that hadn't been available before.

Thing is, the earlier version of it that I've attached here also included some files that enable you to apply some other effects to Cliffs Of Dover besides anti-aliasing.

One effect is called 'Tone Mapping', which allows you to adjust the brightness and contrast and red/blue/yellow colour values that you see in the game. Changing these parameters alone can have a huge or subtle but significant impact on how your game looks. Combine them with the 'Vignette' and 'Sepia' effects and you can get something that looks like an over-the-top 'Warbirds Of Prey' cinematic type of effect if you want. Or just darken the shadows and get rid of that yellow cast the game has nowadays, which is what motivated me to check it out.

Just drop the files in where your Cliffs Of Dover .exe file is installed, start the game up, alt tab out of it, open up the 'injFX_Settings' notepad file, make some changes, click straight back to the game and see what effect they've had.

I'll include some more comparison screenshots and the settings I used if anyone's interested.

I guess I should say too, that there are still some visual aspects of the game that can't be reached or adjusted using a simple utility like this. It's pretty cool what you can adjust with it, but it's not going to bring back some things that have been changed or removed from the game. Also, the complex interconnected nature of the sim means fixing one thing can break another thing even at this basic level. For example you can make one time of day look great, only to find it ruins others. But still, it might be worth checking out for those that are into this sort of thing.

I have no idea whether it's compatible with Steam's online anti-cheat measures. These third party anti-aliasing 'hacks' have been around for several months now and I haven't heard of anyone getting banned because of them (pretty sure I even had them installed when online a couple of times a while back), but who knows, use at your own risk.

Edit 25-10-12 - Added latest settings. Neutral colours, with increased contrast.

Edit 30-10-12 - Added revised attachment. It uses my 'Neutral5' settings as default, but also includes a couple of others. It's been re-packaged so you can just copy and paste its contents straight into your Cliffs Of Dover install.

And here are all the settings others have contributed so far - http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=106
Along with all of mine - http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=107

Edit 31-10-12 - Added 'Neutral6' settings for both the 'injectFxaa_by_some_dude' utility and the newer 'SweetFX' utility by Ceejay.dk. here - http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=128 ***Note- If you're using the 'SweetFX' utility, zip up the original 'd3d9.dll' file in your 'Cliffs Of Dover' install to back it up, as the one in the 'SweetFX' utility will need to replace it in order to work.***

Edit 12-11-12 - Updated readme and re-attached 'FXAA PPI Rev 37...' to this post.

Edit 26-3-14 - Added some updated settings, adjusted for the Team Fusion 4.3 Patch version of the game, to post #236 of this thread, here - http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...&postcount=236.

Last edited by Les; 03-25-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 AM
Approved Member

Some more shots using the same four different settings - the default IL2:COD colours and levels, default IL2:COD colours but with increased contrast, default injectFxaa settings but with only anti-aliasing and Tone Mapping activated, and my own preferred look.

Also attached are the injectFxaa settings that keep the default IL-2:COD colours the same, while darkening the shadows.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Approved Member

nice idea and thx for posting it, but does using this "modification" create problems with the steam integrity check for playing on online servers ?
President Dwight D. Eisenhower 1953: Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone, it is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children
Old 05-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Approved Member

Same thing, with the default injectFxaa settings (but with only AA and Tone Mapping activated) attached.

To my eyes, the default IL2:COD look is way too yellow, with shadows too light for my tastes, while my own preferred look is probably too cold and blue and contrasty for most people. I think the default injectFxaa settings are probably most realistic, but I just don't like the warmer look it has.

Last edited by Les; 05-20-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Approved Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapatista View Post
nice idea and thx for posting it, but does using this "modification" create problems with the steam integrity check for playing on online servers ?
I really don't think it does, but I can't say for sure. A lot of people have been using these kinds of FXAA anti-aliasing installs for a while now in different games, so I think it would have caught up with people by now if it was ever going to. I'm not a big online player at the moment anyway, so I personally can't be bothered researching where it's currently all at. If in doubt leave it out I guess.

Last edited by Les; 05-20-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM
41Sqn_Stormcrow

Apart from the AA thing you probably just need to tweak your screen settings so no need for additional files
Old 05-20-2012, 12:18 PM

Just on a sidenote: using full screen filters is generally a subjective but also very broken way of fixing colors: It changes the colors for everything, including sunsets, fields, bark of trees, flowers etc.

I have a few screens here and one has a cathode backlight and PVA panel. It tends to, even though it's a higher end display, not calibrate to the whitepoint perfectly and has a bit of yellow tint. On that screen CloD indeed looks a bit too yellow indeed. I imagine that on low end screens that effect can be even worse.

On the IPS ones it looks perfectly though. Your screenshot has a very cold color tone, as if it's not the sunlight but a mix with moonlight.

Contrasts on most games always seem odd though. The problem is that gamers usually have a very tiny viewpoint and the image contrast is affected by the lighting of the surroundings.
Another issue is the quality of the screen itself. I'd bet 99.9% of all gamers don't have a screen that cannot display true black.

So I'd say it's better if people use a tool like that to fix the colors as I don't have any problem with them. I'm not sure about the general issue of using 3rd party tools though when it comes to steam games and playing multiplayer...
Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM

Is there any way to make the aa works as the pics above
it looks gorgeous:-p
Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Approved Member

The FXAA is post processing, so VAC wouldn't pick it up, it does not alter the game files in any way, just processes the images after CoD makes them, before transferring to your video card.
GTX 560Ti with 2GB (latest beta driver)
22" monitor @ 1680x1050
TrackIR 5
Saitek X52
Saitek pedals
Win7 64-bit Ultimate

"Ignorance speaks loudly, so as to be heard; but its volume proves reason to doubt every word."~Wes Fessler
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM

Thanks Les,

Very good of you to take the time to share!